Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Wa..what.. author?

So what the deal with wadauthor, i have to stop using it after 15 days, i also gotr dck version 3.62 working which i understand is trial too? the older version would not work, little help?

DCK is shareware. You can use it for as long as you want, and all of the necessary functions are available in this version.

I wonder if anyone on the planet has the registered version...

Ichor said:

DCK is shareware. You can use it for as long as you want

If it's shareware, you can not use it as long as you want.

That depends. Some shareware programs can be used as long as you want, same goes for others of which the SW version is made a bit lame, and others have a time limit (either requested or effective.) Not that I know which of these three conditions applies to DCK 3.62.

Xanthier said:

So what the deal with wadauthor, i have to stop using it after 15 days ....

Yes, WadAuthor is shareware and offers full features for a trial period of 15 days. After that you should register it.

If you are allowed to use the software as long as you want without buying it, it's freeware and not shareware. The whole point in shareware is the try-before-you-buy part.

Well, not really, since the author is asking that you register but not making it a requirement. Also, sometimes, shareware manufacturers offer various versions (standard, deluxe, whatever) and make the least powerful (that might still be fully effective) free. You could say then that DOOM SW is freeware, but it isn't. It's free, yet it's a fully functional product, only limited in respect to the registered version (which has more levels and resources and offers certain editing freedom), but they call it "shareware" because of the relative limitations and the fact that it promotes or partially shows off the full or extended version. Freeware doesn't do that, it's just free stuff. Though I bet different manufacturers may use these terms differently, and some might call the inferior version "freeware." But it still has that promoting function.

ReX said:

Yes, WadAuthor is shareware and offers full features for a trial period of 15 days. After that you should register it.

Emphasis on the "should" :)

DooMBoy said:

Emphasis on the "should" :)

Pretty much what i thought, that's like the little coinbox next to our printers saying "if your not a college student please deposit 10 cents per page printed." yeah right, like that'll fly.

I may register after 15 days, but the version should be limited in a way that makes me want to, or have some kind of timing that forces me to so I can see the point.

Torn said:

But is the WA guy even alive? and still working on wa?

AFAIK, he's supposed to be putting updates on his site, but he never does... (that info is months old, btw)

so in other words, no, he probably isn't working on WA.

Ultimate DooMer said:

AFAIK, he's supposed to be putting updates on his site, but he never does... (that info is months old, btw)

Do you have registered version?

It always amazes me how many people around here take the moral high ground when someone asks for warez, particularly full copies of doom/doom2 or even commercial add ons and yet time and time again I see people offering advice about how to get round WA's shareware restrictions, and the shareware limitations of other progs.

Not actually happened in this thread yet, but heading that way methinks.

Warez and disabling/getting round shareware restrictions (including ignoring requests for payment where the program is not actually restricted) are both ways of getting commercial software for nothing.

BTW, unrelated - anyone know where I can BUY a full copy of Blood? I've tried the Monolith online shop and e-bay, but drawn a blank. Anyone?

Enjay said:

It always amazes me how many people around here take the moral high ground when someone asks for warez, particularly full copies of doom/doom2 or even commercial add ons and yet time and time again I see people offering advice about how to get round WA's shareware restrictions, and the shareware limitations of other progs.

Warez and disabling/getting round shareware restrictions (including ignoring requests for payment where the program is not actually restricted) are both ways of getting commercial software for nothing.

I just seems ridiculous to me that they expect people would actually be honest enough to register without restricting the program or something. And frankly, naive and irresponsible though i expect..and i say this now, if i like it, and I am one of the few who would probably buy it, (depending on how much it was...or i'll use a free-ware editor) i doubt many people would say the same, really.

boris said:

If it's shareware, you can not use it as long as you want.

That's certainly what my Doom shareware was way back when...only gave me E1, any restrictions were present, not implied.

Xanthier said:

I just seems ridiculous to me that they expect people would actually be honest enough to register without restricting the program or something. And frankly, naive and irresponsible...

Perhaps not naive and irresposinble. Maybe they just put their faith in a different area. The people at Alchemy Mindworks distribute a shareware version of Graphics Workshop Professional (and other progs) that is fully functional, save for a nag screen, but they also say this:

Alchemy said:

Should you fail to register any of the evaluation software available through our web pages and continue to use it, be advised that a leather-winged demon of the night will tear itself, shrieking blood and fury, from the endless caverns of the nether world, hurl itself into the darkness with a thirst for blood on its slavering fangs and search the very threads of time for the throbbing of your heartbeat. Just thought you'd want to know that.

Alchemy Mindworks accepts no responsibility for any loss, damage or expense caused by leather-winged demons of the night, either.

:-)

Ultimate DooMer said:

But why is he not giving it out as freeware then.

...and to be clear the point I was making in my first post wasn't so much that shareware can be abused. We all know it can and the individual shareware authors can and do decide how to ensure payment is received.

Most opt to restrict the prog in some way (for the reasons stated - making purchase seem like a worthwhile/valuable option and discouraging continued use from those who do not register), but others don't. I'd be surprised if they were naive enough to believe that people wouldn't take advantage of this, but perhaps they are happy to live with the fact that many people will steal their software and simply be greatful for any payment received. Ultimately, I don't know. I'm not them.

Anyway, my point was actually that many people (around here) seem to preach a double standard. ie It's bad to warez doom, but ignoring requests for payment or continually resetting shareware install dates is fine and they will even advise others to do it and give instructions on how.

These same people would not post warez links (and may even reprimand others for doing so), but I wonder if the reason for that is not so much that they feel it is wrong, but rather that they fear the wrath of the mods?

That is the site policy (remember that it is commercially based, as telefragged is hosting it.) You can't make people agree necessarily, yet they may be interested in posting things about DOOM here nonetheless, and if they are smart they will keep differing ideas in respect to commercial behaviors to themselves (possibly to discuss elsewhere) in order to continue posting.

The best bet for a full version of Blood is at a computer show. That's where I got mine, as well as Shadow Warrior. I'm still looking for Hexen 2 Portal of Praevus though. I'm also looking for Blood 2 for some laughs.

Enjay said:

BTW, unrelated - anyone know where I can BUY a full copy of Blood?

I haven't seen Blood in stores for the longest time, even in the bargain bins. Hell of a spooky game (emphasis on spooky).