Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomKid423

doom builder 2 created a mysterious drawing error

So, I just started mapping and I made my own first map. I made a corridor that leads to a blue door and I want to make a second passage way into a another corridor but whenever draw the map, it always says "Created a mysterious drawing" or "Created a cheerful drawing". Can anybody help me? I'm new to mapping so any help would be appreciated.

Unless something else unusual is happening, that is normal behaviour. Whomever programmed the linedef drawing feature (most likely CodeImp) probably thought that it would be more fun for the action dialogue (or whatever it's actually called) to say something like "Created an attractive drawing", "Created an adorable drawing", "Created a comical drawing" or "Created an accurate drawing" than just "Sector drawn".

If there is a serious problem the editor will often tell you directly with a warning message, or it will be obvious when testing if it isn't something that interferes with the editor's functionality. I haven't used Doom Builder 2 in a long time, so I might be wrong, but I remember seeing some very explicit popup windows whenever there was a serious problem that needed to be solved, usually involving the nodebuilder failing in some way.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:34 AM, Skeletonpatch said:

Unless something else unusual is happening, that is normal behaviour. Whomever programmed the linedef drawing feature (most likely CodeImp) probably thought that it would be more fun for the action dialogue (or whatever it's actually called) to say something like "Created an attractive drawing", "Created an adorable drawing", "Created a comical drawing" or "Created an accurate drawing" than just "Sector drawn".

If there is a serious problem the editor will often tell you directly with a warning message, or it will be obvious when testing if it isn't something that interferes with the editor's functionality. I haven't used Doom Builder 2 in a long time, so I might be wrong, but I remember seeing some very explicit popup windows whenever there was a serious problem that needed to be solved, usually involving the nodebuilder failing in some way.

What I forgot to say is that the sector isn't even appearing. Whenever I draw, all the linedefs just disappear when I finish. That's the problem here.

1 hour ago, DoomKid423 said:

What I forgot to say is that the sector isn't even appearing. Whenever I draw, all the linedefs just disappear when I finish. That's the problem here.

Did you connect the last dot back to the first?

On 11/27/2019 at 11:04 PM, Skeletonpatch said:

Whomever programmed the linedef drawing feature (most likely CodeImp) probably thought that it would be more fun for the action dialogue (or whatever it's actually called) to say something like "Created an attractive drawing", "Created an adorable drawing", "Created a comical drawing" or "Created an accurate drawing" than just "Sector drawn".

I always wondered what the connection was between what sort of sector you put in and the adjective, it seemed like it wasn't entirely random.

The message itself is not an error. And it's not random, it depends on the number of vertices you're drawing.

// Make an analysis and show info
string[] adjectives = new string[]
{ "beautiful", "lovely", "romantic", "stylish", "cheerful", "comical",
  "awesome", "accurate", "adorable", "adventurous", "attractive", "cute",
  "elegant", "glamorous", "gorgeous", "handsome", "magnificent", "unusual",
  "outstanding", "mysterious", "amusing", "charming", "fantastic", "jolly" };
string word = adjectives[points.Count % adjectives.Length];
word = (points.Count > adjectives.Length) ? "very " + word : word;
string a = ((word[0] == 'a') || (word[0] == 'e') || (word[0] == 'o')) ? "an " : "a ";
General.Interface.DisplayStatus(StatusType.Action, "Created " + a + word + " drawing.");

15 hours ago, DoomKid423 said:

I'm not sure about that. Even if you don't close the sector by connecting the last linedef with the original vertice and simply cancel the drawing by right clicking the other linedefs you've already drawn shouldn't disappear, they just won't join into a new sector and will remain empty unless you've drawn them inside of an already completed sector.

I assume you begin drawing by right clicking, then left clicking to anchour each individual linedef before looping the final linedef back to the first vertice when you're done drawing, which should produce a completed sector. All the linedefs you've just drawn disappearing as soon as you close the sector definitely isn't normal and shouldn't be happening.

Have you successfully drawn any sectors yet? Did this start happening after you'd already done some mapping, or have you not been able to draw anything since you opened the editor?

@DoomKid423, just want to throw this out there..

What I found long ago was to save my progress as I go. ~ basically a safety valve.

Since it's your first map and still pretty new to it, make sure to save, and then save as new, eg; mymap01.wad, mymap02.wad, etc.

For example, after you decide where you want your corridors, just create the sectors where you want them to go, don't connect them yet, then save your map, then save again as a new name. Now connect your sectors, then save again as a new name again.

This allows you to go back to your previous build if something goes wrong.