Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEBaratusII

Is there a way to fix this scaling issue in GZDoom

Screenshot_Doom_20191128_055624.png.998e76462a5e12202195f340044d45ff.png

So I was messing around with upscaling DOOM.WAD's textures, and put them in the pk3's /hires folder.

The flats are fine but the walls doesn't scale them right, I've tested this on both the latest dev release and on g4.2.4 but same effect.

Although I've tested another HD texture pack like zdoom-dhtp-20180514.pk3 (and it worked!) so I don't know why my textures won't scale correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Did you do the upscale yourself?

I'm guessing you upscaled the patches, not the textures, so it uses giant patches in regular-size textures.

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

Did you do the upscale yourself?

I'm guessing you upscaled the patches, not the textures, so it uses giant patches in regular-size textures.

Yes, I upscaled it via ESRGAN

I somehow fixed the issue, it turns out the upscaled textures were named like DOOR2_5 for example and I was supposed to have be named after the TEXTURES1/2 lumps. So I renamed it to DOOR3 and this is the result.

image.png.5f6102d91ace0b2cb3e864fb90d17bbe.png

Yep, that's what I meant. DOOR3 is defined as a 64x72 (IIRC) texture created by using the patch DOOR2_5, so when you have a giant DOOR2_5 and a normal DOOR3, you don't get the rescaling.

Keep in mind that this whole setup with patches is justified when you get to textures defined with more than one patch (all switches, but also some light fixtures, doors, the computer banks, and so on). You can use SLADE3 to export the textures as graphics, with their texture names, and then use that to ESRGANize the multipatch textures.

This scene reminds me of how a lot of Nintendo 64 titles looked like due to the limited texture memory available.

I have to say, if this were ever your aim, then it looks rather neat.