Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Mighty G

Mean Green (single boom-compatible map)

gonna check this out after I get home from Thanksgiving dinner. Looks great I LOVE what you did with the architecture in these screens.

Super cool map.  Many thanks.

The Baron is a cool ammo starvation gimmick.  I could not find any secrets but i was never lost in the progression which is cool.  That 1 revenant makes for a cool mini-boss.  And I died a few times going for the blue key.

The crusher didnt come back up when i used it.  I think that is a bug and I am on prboom+.

Again, thanks.

I enjoyed this map quite a bit. Some of the secrets were quite tricky to locate but well worth the hunt. If you find all the secrets then there is probably an over abundance of health/ammo on uv.

There is a problem with baron crusher as noted by @Mk7_Centipede. I was using gzdoom 4.2.4. In my first play through, I killed the baron and once the crusher was triggered, it came down and stayed down preventing access to the exit. The second time through I let the crusher take care of the baron and the crusher behaved properly and raised again after crushing the baron.

Congratulations on creating an excellent map!

I like what i see. I'm getting a few scythe 2 vibes from the architecture (it's a good thing). Maybe i'll try this one out later on. 

10 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

Super cool map.  Many thanks.

The Baron is a cool ammo starvation gimmick.  I could not find any secrets but i was never lost in the progression which is cool.  That 1 revenant makes for a cool mini-boss.  And I died a few times going for the blue key.

The crusher didnt come back up when i used it.  I think that is a bug and I am on prboom+.

Again, thanks.

8 hours ago, tmorrow said:

I enjoyed this map quite a bit. Some of the secrets were quite tricky to locate but well worth the hunt. If you find all the secrets then there is probably an over abundance of health/ammo on uv.

There is a problem with baron crusher as noted by @Mk7_Centipede. I was using gzdoom 4.2.4. In my first play through, I killed the baron and once the crusher was triggered, it came down and stayed down preventing access to the exit. The second time through I let the crusher take care of the baron and the crusher behaved properly and raised again after crushing the baron.

Congratulations on creating an excellent map!

The crusher was scripted to crush the baron then stop but I didn't factor in people killing the baron before the crusher is all the way down. I originally had 2 buttons open to control the crusher after leaving the blue door room but I wanted to get cute with the crusher timing. I should probably just make the crusher not stop and be a last obstacle. Thanks for the play!

Edit: OP updated with hotfix for crusher.

Edited by Super Mighty G

Pretty fun map, died more times than I thought I would, to be honest. I liked how killing the baron was the only way to beat the map and the entire map was basically about the player trying to find a way to kill it, but this got me thinking, couldn't the player just kill the baron once they get enough ammo to do so and exit the map?

I tried to balance the ammo so it would be difficult to have enough at the right times, but one of the secrets actually lets you circumvent this. Ultimately though I don't want to discourage alternate methods of finishing the level outside the intended progression. For example the baron's platform is small but if someone somehow found a way to run across and slide past the baron I wouldn't change that.

What!? But my next wad was supposed to be called "The Mean Green"! Hmm, maybe there's room for two of (almost) the same name? It is after all a bloody good name if I have to say so myself! :)

Anyway, I liked your level very much! Great layout, lots of fun fights. All those pinkies and spectres really brought the heat. Recorded a video of my playthrough (link in spoiler below). Thanks for sharing this excellent level with us!

Spoiler

I like this map, the layout was nice and flow nicely maybe corridors was bitt too tight for me and up-size them by at least 64unit will be nice choice. Nice texture choice and well detailing. The gameplay was good overall, at first the imp-former human-sergeant combo start to get bit repetetive but somewhere half it got nicely better. I felt like i'm low on ammo bitt too often, few more shells and ammo clip there and here will be nice. I like when you have some ammo to spare so you don't need to worry way to much. but there is not much to complain about, it was really nice and most importantly enjoyable map. Great work and keep it up.

FDA: mg12_fda.zip

Going for a full secret clear at the end was enjoyable; I'm rarely tempted to, but I didn't regret it. Those clever secrets are the map's strongest quality. Following that is the progression. I also appreciated a willingness to amp up the intensity of the combat. 

The visuals are never ugly but are, at times, bland, an impression created by design choices that felt overly 'safe'. At its best, it gets the job done, but could do something more to distinguish itself. As a learning exercise, it is fine, however. Certain bits of ceiling architecture were the best parts.  

Edited by rdwpa

Nice map! Has a great oldschool feel. Good layout and flow. I would have liked a bit more texture variation, but luckily, Sladwall is one of my faves. One easy method to increase the texture variety is to have monster closets feature a different texture than the outside walls

Played UV on GZDoom and never had much trouble. Combat was mild but very engaging, though I tumbled to 37% at the big fight you drop down into. After that it was smooth sailing, and luckily, I solved the puzzle for the visible Soulsphere before I got blindsided by the Revenant. Might not have survived otherwise.

I could have killed the Baron quite early, as I had 23 shells and no other enemies to worry about up there, but I was having so much fun that I decided to leave him alone and keep playing the map. I never suffered any ammo stress. The shotgun and Zerk fist were sufficient for the early going, and once I got the chaingun I leaned heavily on that, switching back to shotgun when the bullets ran low. I always had enough ammo to deal with the situation.

After I played the map, I watched all the videos and especially enjoyed @rdwpa finding all those tricky secrets. The secrets were mostly for those who check the automap a lot, which I seldom do. Maybe I should change my habits. ;D

Bottom line; please do more maps!

A couple nitpicky things I noticed for final polishing;

Spoiler

Vertical misalignment, also occurs on the other side.

TVYES8o.png

These columns would look better if you centered the rivets.

okqgvMs.png

The leftmost column's rivets are off center. You could probably get double rows of rivets on these columns, which might look even better.

XYt6JgM.png

Pretty fun, spicy but not too spicy, but I don't know if it's my settings or what but all the darkness was giving me a major, actual headache. Once the pain subsides I'll try to find all the secrets.