Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
necros

Does anyone care about midi music included in maps?

Hey folks...  got a map I want to release, and I was wondering if anyone actually listens to the in-game music anymore?  I was writing some midis to play with the opl 3 emulator, but then I realized it probably isn't worth it.........  any opinions?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely listen to the in-game music. I'm always excited to hear which MIDI someone is going to choose for their map(s), and it's a huge part of the experience for me. The right song can take a good map and turn it into a great one, and vice versa, in my opinion. I can't imagine playing the final map of Eviternity listening to D_STALKS. But, with Eris Falling's gorgeous MIDI? *kisses fingers* that's a nice sauce

Yes, I love putting renditions of real songs in MIDI form. Gives the WAD that classic feel. MP3s are ok but will end up being the majority of your WAD size.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: The music is one of the most important aspects of this game, in my opinion. It sets the overall tone and atmosphere, and the right track will make your map that much more memorable, especially if it's a piece composed specifically for the map. I have been writing MIDIs for about a year and a half now, so I definitely believe it to be super important that new music still be written for this game, to continue giving to this community. So yes, I'd absolutely consider it a worthwhile endeavour. Nowadays, I'm not likely to release any new projects without at least some original music for it!

hell yeah, music is the most important part of Doom, I can't really get in the demon slaying mood while the Mario 64 slide theme is playing in the background

exactly, the tune should also always be something catchy. Like, I love deathmetal, but I never use it or most metal for that matter in my WADs because MIDIs just never seem to make it sound right (sometimes very annoying sounding actually). So I try to put simple songs in like for instance in my newest WAD "Pot Luck" I used CCR's "Fortunate Son". And it sounds pretty cool and something to rock and roll and have fun listening to while you blast demons in the face! (Not to mention, it fits the design theme of the map) ;).

Anything's fine as long as it's not D_RUNNIN. I think everyone has heard that one often enough.

better ask yourself who doesn't

the music is a very important piece in a wad, maybe it's not so necessary but that's what saves and adapts the map better

music can bring an atmosphere out of a level much more than textures and stuff can, so i find it pretty damn important

Imagine playing through masterpieces like Memento Mori and BTSX but depriving yourself of the amazing soundtracks o_O

I've listened to D_RUNNIN a million times before, and I'll listen to it one million times more, don't even @ me son/

i usually don't care. my brain is tiny, so i can either play the game, or listen to the music. i couldn't recognize D_RUNNIN if it wasn't played from the start, because i don't remember anything except its first seconds.

Put it this way, try your favourite maps with the music off, or say open sunlust.wad in Slade and delete all the midi files, save and load the wad in a source port, then listen to the doom 2 tracks instead. How do you feel about it?

BGM is a huge factor for most people, sound effects slightly less. And there're also people who turn it off. Whether it is an original custom piece, a midi conversion of a popular song, a track from any other game, or absence of music, it impacts the experience somehow. For example, for a single map of mine I added a music track that transmits fear in my head to go with the context, and some of the feedback I got was that they felt fear throughout the map, which to me meant success. How different would have been if I left the track I originally thought for it (funnily enough, it was my most liked Doom 1 midi, but just didn't fit there). 

Music also is a feature that helps to recognize a map, or wads, many times a midi can bring another wad to my mind, happens a lot with BTSX. If I choose a wad that has no custom music, you bet I'll be adding it from other sources, NewDoom CP played 10 times better with different midis from my choice. 

There's Hell Ground, a wad that solely because of the music selections in a couple maps I had a horrible time playing them. I'm guilty for not muting the game when I should though :x

Oh hell yeah. There are times I wish the first 2 Community Chests having more midis in (especially 1). It can make all the difference. 

Edited by Salahmander2

Yes...gives you the nostalgia of the thing. But..probably with advancing times..with OTEX textures..midi gonna stay with more retro mapping. But hell yes..love midi!

I even searched how to make them..but..its not my alley.

Don't give up so quickly! With a little time and effort, you should be able to get into it easily enough. There can never be enough composers around here.

Also, MIDIs and OTEX resources still work damn well together. Eviternity is a prime example of that :P

I find the game much more immersive without music, so always have it turned off. But this is a minority view.

I hate Doom 2 music at this point, because I've heard it like... thousand times, so D_RUNNING in first map is so annoying, I usually have to put my MIDI right aways in it when I am working on some map.

Unfortunately I realized this makes me hate my midi, so now I put it there after the map is finished :D

Edited by Matthias : grammar

Absolutely. An unfitting midi WILL highly decrease the quality of a map and enjoyment for the player, for any level.

When people don't put new music in their maps, it's often an easy pass for me. I see it as basically saying you don't care enough about your own level to give it much needed life.

Absolutely. I went to great lengths to get a full soundtrack for TNT Revilution, and tend to load up music wads with musicless releases. The right music can really set the atmosphere of a map.

I like midis and the nostalgics about them, but sadly I have very little music on my soul.. so I would have to rely on music made by others... I like the doom metal music volume wads