Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
necros

Does anyone care about midi music included in maps?

Music in WADs is important for me.

I am typically using a MIDI file from the first level of Darkening II. Great atmosphere which just speaks to me. So in many of my maps this is the tune I am using.

We got a whole thread just for caring about midi music included in maps:

Okay, it's not strictly MIDI music, it accepts modules and streamed too.

The Doom Wiki also dutifully lists the soundtrack for every documented mod, whenever possible.

21 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Put it this way, try your favourite maps with the music off, or say open sunlust.wad in Slade and delete all the midi files, save and load the wad in a source port, then listen to the doom 2 tracks instead. How do you feel about it?

Off topic but I actually played about the last third of Doom 2 without music one time because I was making a YouTube video and the music kept getting copyrighted. It was still fun but instead of the usual feel I got while playing doom, what I got instead was a depressing, somewhat unnerving feel.

As for the on-topic answer: Music is important it can give your map the kick it needs and set the right feel. However, I think it's more important to actually finish your map first.

41 minutes ago, Gez said:

We got a whole thread just for caring about midi music included in maps:

Man, this thread just shows that some of us might care a little too much about MIDI.. I can't count the number of sleepless nights I've had over the fact that the Dwango5 Map11 & Map20 MIDIs are miscredited on the wiki..

..I'm exaggerating of course, but I seriously want to know the non-BS origins of these MIDIs. Not who stole them (The people who made Gemstorm) or who made false copyright claims on Youtube (Mitsuru Minamiyama), I mean the real, legitimate composers - or at least the original sources!

Before I'm 6 feet under, we WILL know the original sources of every single DWANGO MIDI, con sarnit!

I always try match midi or music modules with map atmosphere. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Without music, games wouldn't give you those memories you cherish and cause plenty of feelings. 

Mock 2 probably would've been a lot more forgotten if it didn't have its almost entirely original soundtrack. The unique-sounding songs bring a real sense of intentionality and cohesion to the shitty maps.

Custom music in general is extremely important in a wad. Midi is generally more preferred because it both fits thematically to Doom's general aesthetic and because of filesize reasons. MP3s are usually frowned upon because they boost an otherwise 300kb map into around 9mb of size, just because of the music file.

I've grown tired of the vanilla soundtracks though, so what I do is autoload a custom wad that I've compiled which has a lot of favorite midis from wads I've played throughout the years, and use the changemus prompt in the console for a nicer tune.

It really mostly depends on the map, because some mappers decide to not have any background music for the sake of atmosphere. When done right, this is also a fantastic decision.

I care extremely, so much so that I always have three different external midi players ready to go, one for every occasion. My favorite and the one I use the most often is the Roland SC-8820. It's my pride and joy. It's extremely close to what Bobby Prince originally composed the soundtrack on, which is a slightly older model of the same thing, the Roland SC-88.

Oh, this is cool, I didn't really realize music was a thing. I figured people were just throwing in whatever they could find.  Cool beans, I'll do the music then!

20 hours ago, necros said:

Oh, this is cool, I didn't really realize music was a thing. I figured people were just throwing in whatever they could find.  Cool beans, I'll do the music then!

Just if you din't know, the composers around here loves soo much making new music for their beloved mapset that they made mapless wads just full of new midi music.
One is the famous Plutonia midi pack:

The other one is the Revolution! Midi pack:

And there are some good people making compilation for their most beloved megawads with some of the tunes the composer shared here to use (shameless plug here):

Making music for this old games is love in its purest form!

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Just if you din't know, the composers around here loves soo much making new music for their beloved mapset that they made mapless wads just full of new midi music.
One is the famous Plutonia midi pack:

The other one is the Revolution! Midi pack:

And there are some good people making compilation for their most beloved megawads with some of the tunes the composer shared here to use (shameless plug here):

Making music for this old games is love in its purest form!

Oh wow, these are awesome.  Is there a place to talk about making music?  I've run into some strange problems that seem specific to doom or something, like pitch bends not matching from either an FLStudio midi export or a MuseScore midi export or if there exists a 1:1 OPL3 emulator that can be used in midi programs to preview (the ones I found are close, but not quite the same)

34 minutes ago, necros said:

Oh wow, these are awesome.  Is there a place to talk about making music?  I've run into some strange problems that seem specific to doom or something, like pitch bends not matching from either an FLStudio midi export or a MuseScore midi export or if there exists a 1:1 OPL3 emulator that can be used in midi programs to preview (the ones I found are close, but not quite the same)

Well i never try it, but there is a subforum here, i think called Doom Editing, where you can ask for help, as i'm not too well versed in making midi music.
But there you could ask all you need to know. Some members of this forum are not only great composers but also great professionals musicsians and will surely help you with any kind of doubt you could have.
The forum is always willing to help, and is rarely not able to.

EDIT: apart from the MIDI Packs that i recommended, there are ton of megawads out there with awesome music.
TNT: Revilution (with some cool new midis and some re-arrangement and expanded re-versions of various TNT: Evilution midis)
Memento Mori 1 & 2 Requiem(original music composed for this three megawads that are some of the best tunes around)

STRAIN (some original and some re-versions of Doom original track that are awesome) 

Icarus: Alien Vanguard (team TNT musical magnum opus, with a wide range of music)

Eternal Doom (Music with a nice but not so ear friendly touch of classical music and renascence/medieval music)

The Talosian Incident (excellent and unmatchable ambient music that heavily ramps the atmosphere of the megawad)

2002: A Doom Odyssey (music that some might not like, but its pretty awesome indeed)

Reverie (excellent music by PRIMEVAL, heard it and you will see)

Back to Saturn X episode 1 & episode 2 (composers and mappers reunited and made something that is somewhat perfect in every sense)

Unholy Realms (again, PRIMEVAl composed solely every track of this amazing megawad)
Going Down (Cyriak Harris, a cool video animator did this megawad and it music... You need to heard it as you play to get why its so marvelous)

Ancient Aliens (Stewboy is the equivalent of a rockstar here, and the music in this megawads show why is that) 

Edited by P41R47

necros...  that tag seems familiar.  Where have I seen it before...?

If this is who I think it is, I'm very interested in hearing what you come up with.  Even if I guessed wrong, I'm still on the side of well placed music enhancing the experience of a map.