Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spd7693

Let The Maps Speak For Themselves

Recommended Posts

Well... I'm back. But this time I won't talk. I'm only gonna post.  

 

Here is the map. Map 15 - The Monastery.rar 

 

Spoiler

Screenies: 

 

 

Press it, you know you want to! 

 

 

708383349_Doomwadmap151.png.f41f3b2c568ccfaa392be27ed9410215.png

 

When you see this... You know you're in a world of s***! The caco is just the beginning. 

431622460_Doomwadmap152.png.ed25ea975183fcf6024af6f94068ea71.png


 

Spoiler

 

Screenies 2: 

 

Wait a minute. Yellow on coming in, blue on coming out... Hah, I've seen it before ;) 

 

1931484399_Doomwadmap153.png.d4643357b590a7ded8faa787927a819f.png

 

 

 

The only thing I have a problem with - This cross is a peephole. However, I can shoot into it and the monsters can shoot me while inside it. Ideas how I can fix that? 

 

2016734053_Doomwadmap154.png.38ca84bacd19ec1a933af9a0bc81b6a8.png

 

 

And the music is called I Will Beat On Your Behind. (Taken from Age Of Empires 2.) Quite fitting. 

 

 

Spoiler

I'm gonna post some of the older levels as well. They went through a few changes. 

 

Map 1 - At Home.rar

Map 5 - Control Center.rar 

Map 9 - Homerun.rar

Map 16 - Hexadeca.rar

 

 

Map_5_-_Control_Center.rar

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, spd7693 said:

The only thing I have a problem with - This cross is a peephole. However, I can shoot into it and the monsters can shoot me while inside it. Ideas how I can fix that? 

 

What map editor are you using? In GZDoom Builder you can set those linedefs to block projectiles and hitscan. That should do what you want, yea?

Share this post


Link to post

I see a notable improvement in quality from your first creation. Keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post

if you don't want anything going through that peep hole, just set the line defs to block everything

Share this post


Link to post

Played map 15. By the third room I found the difficulty to be totally unreasonable. I used god mode to walk through the map to see the progression. I'm expected to face down cacos, hell knights and chaingunners with just a shotgun then I have to stumble around in a dark room with over 9000 reventants to find an SSG. And the plasma rifle, with out which the map is basically unplayable, is a secret that no one would ever see. The only reason I did see it is because I used light amp to see what the room layout was.

 

So yeah, probably a harsh criticism, but the map is way too unforgiving. Architecture is decent enough though.  

Share this post


Link to post

Many thanks for the feedback given up to this point. First I'm gonna address the problem. 

 

20 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

 

What map editor are you using? In GZDoom Builder you can set those linedefs to block projectiles and hitscan. That should do what you want, yea?

 

20 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

What compatibility?

 

I use mainly Doom Builder and also use Slade subtly, but still can't really edit textures with it. I need some time to learn it and execute it. Compatibility aims to be Vanilla, but for now I have nothing to test with other than GLBoom+. But no GZDoom stuff. So I wonder how to do this in Vanilla. I tried putting another linedef and raising one of the sectors slightly so the monsters can hear me, but not shoot. But it turned out the peep hole never opened even despite the fact I had all switches, tags and actions correct. This trap is supposed to open up when you press the switch in the living quarters that will open the monk cells where the red key is. It's a very squishy moment of fixing textures and architecture. 

 

Now I'm gonna address the map: 

 

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I see a notable improvement in quality from your first creation. Keep it up.

 

I'm trying to. Yonatan Donner and Haggay Niv turned out perfect teachers. No wonder so many maps these days get inspiration from Hell Revealed. For the rest, I think my flawless eyesight has its downsides, because even at 80 lumen the map still isn't dark for me with gamma correction of 2. Thus you see basically four values of lighting. At least they variate and I try to use realistic lighting. 

 

4 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

By the third room I found the difficulty to be totally unreasonable. I used god mode to walk through the map to see the progression. I'm expected to face down cacos, hell knights and chaingunners with just a shotgun then I have to stumble around in a dark room with over 9000 reventants to find an SSG.

 

  1. Who told you you have to be methodical? Try again, this time skimming past the church, cacos corridor and dark room with revenants, fast grab the SSG and fight the revenants from the circular room. I even managed to kill the first arch-vile without the plasma gun. (Hell Revealed vastly improved my technique about fighting arch-viles.) 
  2. The map is numbered 15 and on 9 you already have SSG, RL, PlG and chaingun. Definitely you would have all that from the previous maps, loaded with ammo, perhaps even some health saved from a soulsphere, some armour and of course, backpack. Who said the level had to be easy to complete from pistol start. 
  3. The level was intended to be huge and difficult. This is one of the reasons map 16 is even very easy for @rdwpa's standards. (Referring to a comment and a video he posted in my previous thread, I apologize for addressing him this directly.) 
  4. The only harsh places are the revenant trap for the yellow key and the ending. Manageable, but maybe I had to take more ammo into consideration. Then again, I don't feel like adding it because like I said the map is intended to be in a progression. 
  5. Quote

    And the plasma rifle, with out which the map is basically unplayable, is a secret that no one would ever see.

    There is a pool of blood in front of it. Look carefully. Who randomly puts pools of blood in the corner? They might mark secrets at times. 

  

 

 

Therefore, I see the difficulty completely reasonable. This is only the first of the maps that will aim for a difficulty curve above iD Doom, maybe even above Memento Mori. (Still undecided. I ultimately am thinking of difficulty somewhere between MM2 and Hell Revealed from map 15-18 onwards.) Still I would like to wait until more people play it and give feedback.  

 
Edited by spd7693

Share this post


Link to post

This is a pretty fun, lite-slaughter map with a classic 90's feel to it. The monsters shape the rooms that you're fighting for most of the map. Health and ammo is manageable. Barrels were surprisingly used to great effect along with the partial invisibility pickup. I played through it with -no monsters and God-UV before tackling it with saves on ultra violence. Finally, playing it all in one go with all kills and secrets. Demo included.

There's a "Think fast or die!" and "If I mess up getting this secret, this map is going to suck" situations. Placing another plasma rifle would be helpful, because the one plasma rifle the player finds is in a secret. This plasma rifle is essential in making this map fun. There's this screwed up part after the blue key where the plasma rifle is needed. I had to use a meta-door open closing tactic, which I'm not a fan of.

I recorded the demo with PRBoom+ with a gamma of 1. You'll see me stumbling in the dark searching for health sometimes. Kind of a hard map, but the fights are easy to remember. Great job.

spd15-demo.rar

I remember you posted here over a year ago. That "rocket launcher behind the fridge" secret in "map 1 - At Home" is one my favorite secrets in custom doom wads.

Edit: Forgot to mention. The yellow key doesn't exist in HNTR.

Edited by Swalzi

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, spd7693 said:
  • This is one of the reasons map 16 is even very easy for @rdwpa's standards. (Referring to a comment and a video he posted in my previous thread, I apologize for addressing him this directly.) 

 

For context, the sole reason I bothered to comment as such was the previous thread's proclamation of that map's high difficulty. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Swalzi said:

The yellow key doesn't exist in HNTR.

 

Immediately fixing this as well as the stuck 'rachno in the outdoor area. 

 

Map 15 - The Monastery.rar

 

Edited by spd7693 : I needed to cleanup my attachments section before uploading.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, spd7693 said:

 

  1. Who told you you have to be methodical? Try again, this time skimming past the church, cacos corridor and dark room with revenants, fast grab the SSG and fight the revenants from the circular room. I even managed to kill the first arch-vile without the plasma gun. (Hell Revealed vastly improved my technique about fighting arch-viles.) 
  2. The map is numbered 15 and on 9 you already have SSG, RL, PlG and chaingun. Definitely you would have all that from the previous maps, loaded with ammo, perhaps even some health saved from a soulsphere, some armour and of course, backpack. Who said the level had to be easy to complete from pistol start. 
  3. The level was intended to be huge and difficult. This is one of the reasons map 16 is even very easy for @rdwpa's standards. (Referring to a comment and a video he posted in my previous thread, I apologize for addressing him this directly.) 
  4. The only harsh places are the revenant trap for the yellow key and the ending. Manageable, but maybe I had to take more ammo into consideration. Then again, I don't feel like adding it because like I said the map is intended to be in a progression. 
  5. There is a pool of blood in front of it. Look carefully. Who randomly puts pools of blood in the corner? They might mark secrets at times. 

 

1. I am always methodical when playing. That isn't the point though. No one playing for the time would know the SSG is there in the dark unless they had knowledge before hand which means it boils down to trial and error. 

2. Continuous play was never specified. Maps are generally balanced for pistol start so there was no way to know this.

3. And in my opinion the difficulty is too skewed towards unpleasant for pistol start purposes.

4. Then you should have said that.

5. Yes I saw the blood but only because I used light amp to see the room. No one is going to notice it in a dark room with that many monsters running around unless they max out the gamma.

 

If you think it's fine then disregard my feedback. I still say it's too difficult when not considering continuous play.

Share this post


Link to post

More description in the OP would be helpful. Spd7693 clearly put effort in the map, but there's no mention of:

1) Map difficulty - I didn't go in thinking this would be a lite-slaughter map. Ultra-violence difficulty is based on foreknowledge of upcoming battles and weapon locations. An example, the only rocket Launcher on UV is incredibly hard to find due to the god filter and horde of monsters.

2) Adjusted difficulty settings - HNTR doesn't have slaughter elements compared to the other difficulties. I would of played that difficulty, but the yellow key didn't exist in the version I played.

Share this post


Link to post

Well... It's no secret the map is obviously a part of a 32-map project. So far I've posted five here that are still open for discussion. Well, six actually, but I ditched one, at least 90% of it. And my biggest problem is that probably I talk too much. (Sometimes really talk too much.) As mentioned earlier I thrived for the difficulty of a map and it turned out stupid easy. 

 

Thus I let the maps speak for themselves. Thus the title. After reconsideration I'm aiming for average 1994-esque difficulty on HNTR - thus no slaughter stuff - while on UV the difficulty is rising and now I'm not sure where it fits. I'm planning to make some maps that can at least scratch Hell Revealed's final third difficulty curve. Yes, folks, my thoughts about difficulty in Doom changed a lot for 18 months. As for HMP, the difficulty is somewhere inbetween. Maybe I'm making the maps too easy on HTNR since the last thing I played on this difficulty was the original Doom in 2001. If I have to make a smaller gap between the easy and hard difficulty, please tell me. 

 

(Singing:) Oh, God, I said too much... I said enough... 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×