Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qdash

What's the best NES games you've ever played?

Gargoyle's Quest 2. The graphics they managed to pull out of the NES still impress me.

I'd second Gargoyle's Quest II. An immensely enjoyable and unique "platformer" with gorgeous graphics and sound. Really, it's a shame, that the Gargoyle's Quest series didn't continue after Demon's Crest. Those hovering / flying and latching to walls abilities were rather unique.

Other than that, I'd like to throw the Sunsoft "Batman" game into the mix. Incredible music, graphics, gameplay. Just everything perfect.

I was introduced to videogames really just after the NES' time had passed (also being the UK the system wasn't really dominant like it was in the States), and the only game on it I really went back to, played and enjoyed was Legend of Zelda. 

Super Contra

Castlevania

Gradius II

Megaman III

Summer Carnival 92 Recca

Ninja Gaiden II

Lone Ranger

Metroid

Guardian Legend

Double Dragon II

Castlevania III is the best game on the NES.  No contest.  And that's coming from a die-hard Megaman fan.  (Too bad Castlevania 3's US version's music had to be altered due to its hardware).

10 hours ago, elend said:

I'd second Gargoyle's Quest II. An immensely enjoyable and unique "platformer" with gorgeous graphics and sound. Really, it's a shame, that the Gargoyle's Quest series didn't continue after Demon's Crest. Those hovering / flying and latching to walls abilities were rather unique.

Other than that, I'd like to throw the Sunsoft "Batman" game into the mix. Incredible music, graphics, gameplay. Just everything perfect.

I was thinking about that after I saw the thread. It's a shame that Firebrand hasn't seen any love since Demon's Crest. He's an enjoyable character, and the flying and wall climbing were just incredibly satisfying. Same with Ghoul's and Ghosts, the only thing we've had is the spiritual successor Maximo, and that was on PS2. Capcom needs to get their shit together and start reviving some of these series. Because Maximo was damn fun.

2 minutes ago, Jello said:

I was thinking about that after I saw the thread. It's a shame that Firebrand hasn't seen any love since Demon's Crest. He's an enjoyable character, and the flying and wall climbing were just incredibly satisfying. Same with Ghoul's and Ghosts, the only thing we've had is the spiritual successor Maximo, and that was on PS2. Capcom needs to get their shit together and start reviving some of these series. Because Maximo was damn fun.

Wasn't Firebrand in Marvel vs Capcom 3 alongside Arthur?  And I also remember Firebrand being in SNK vs Capcom Chaos as one of the final bosses.

38 minutes ago, Master O said:

Wasn't Firebrand in Marvel vs Capcom 3 alongside Arthur?  And I also remember Firebrand being in SNK vs Capcom Chaos as one of the final bosses.

Looks like he was, but I don't really play fighting games. I'd still like to see new games in the series; making an appearance in a fighting game doesn't really count in my opinion.

The Lone Ranger.

It has a mix of Castlevania, Guerrilla War, Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros. 3 in one game. It puts many movie-to-game adaptations to shame during that era.

Castlevania 3 is a really massive game with all its varying paths and even backtracking versions of stages despite being (multi-)linear progression.   Even with the US version downgraded, it's way impressive.

Probably single most impressive game is a Japanese only one, Kunio's Nekketsu Soccer League

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2619/

Nintendo World Cup is a great soccer game.  However it's Nintendo's severe rearrangement of Technos's Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer Edition. (Makes it interesting to have both.)  Kunio's Nekketsu Soccer League is the incredible sequel that pushes the system to its limits with all kinds of interactive weather effects being sucked up by particle tornades, rain possibly creating puddles (maybe alreayd there), and lightning electrifying anyone in the puddles or the ball.   I got to play it four player a decent amount emulating it on Dreamcast back before we had such good USB adapters and controllers for PC.

I did some extensive romhacks of World Cup BTW.

But this game pushes the system even further: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=super+russian+roulette

Short of the Doom running on a Raspberry Pie interfacing with NES's hardware and making it actually draw more electric power and heat up more.

Played the daylights out of the following, some mentioned in this thread.. others not. I'm legit surprised some of these weren't mentioned:

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

The Legend of Zelda

Contra/Super C

The Lone Ranger

Blaster Master

Batman

Strider

Dragon Warrior

Gargoyle's Quest II

Robowarrior

Super Mario Bros. 3

Adventure Island II/III

The Guardian Legend

Jackal

Mendel Palace

Double Dragon II

Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode

Rygar

Karnov

Ninja Gaiden series

Startropics I/II

TMNT III: The Manhattan Project

Zen: Intergalactic Ninja

The NES was my baby, man.

Super Mario 3

Super Mario Bros

Castlevania

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out

Kirby’s Adventure

Ninja Gaiden

Battletoads

MegaMan

Tetris

Dr. Mario

Earthbound

AFAIK it’s the oldest console that had good ports from the arcade too, such as:

Marble Madness

Donkey Kong

Joust

Galaga

Ms. Pac-Man

Kung Fu

If you added up the collective hours I’ve spent on these games, it rivals the amount of time I’ve spent playing Doom!

(If we bring modding into the picture, Doom wins by many country miles..)

Of the ones not mentioned already:

River City Ransom

Elite

Bionic Commando

Super Off Road

NES Open

Cobra Triangle

Blades of Steel

Spy Vs Spy

I'm only familiar from the NES Classic Mini, and I've not played every game on there yet (notably omissions would be the two Zelda games, Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, CastleVania 1 and 2, Kirby's Adventure, Final Fantasy and Megaman 2), but StarTropics impressed me the most so far, I think. Super Mario Bros. was the best platformer so far and Balloon Fight was surprisingly enjoyable!

@sluggard my girlfriend grew up with Battle City as a firm favourite, but I've not seen much of it, having started on a SNES myself.