Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Self-Restraint Anonymous

There are all these threads across the forums about how everyone's downloaded the alpha and oh god it's fucking awesome it bump-maps every drop of demon drool and renders the marine down to his skidmarks blah, blah, blah.

Now for something different.

There's got to be SOMEONE else out there who hasn't downloaded it for whatever reason. I ain't, not just because of sheer filesize (300+mb through cable without a working version of DAP? No thanks) but because I want to be suprised the first time I play it.

Now then, anyone else out there who's showing a bit of self-restraint? Please post why. I feel kinda alone here, but I don't want to become a target for Carmack's trained assasins. :)

Heh, I don't have it. It would incinerate my video card if I were to launch it.

I haven't, and this comes from a guy who gets direct download links in his daily email. However, I did peek at a dozen leaked screenshots but you're not missing anything... basically the same as the official released screenies you've seen before, from slightly different angles and a german kiddie writing "lololol" all over the screen. Retardation at its finest.

As for something playable... I rather play the official demo, or buy the full game.

Playing the leaked alpha won't spoil anything for you. It's just tech showoff. There isn't any gameplay in it.

I haven't played it and I never will. The first reason is that it is impossible (modem + I have 500 Mhz computer). Second, I would not download it even IF I had good enough computer. It's illegal and I want to see the game when it's complete.

Fredrik said:

Playing the leaked alpha won't spoil anything for you. It's just tech showoff. There isn't any gameplay in it.

If you've seen the leaked video and the official screenshots then the alpha is nothing new. It's all the same, except this time you play the game. So, are these official levels, or is all of this gonna change over time?

I'm not sure. I'd say they where made specifically for the demo, but parts may turn up. I remember someone from ID saying they are making the middle maps first, then the end, then the start maps.
***This = Spoiler***
Although, I think the massive city you see in the intro (yeah, the video with the scientist is in the alpha, type map e3/intro)
Will probably stay. Good god that City looks nice.
***This = Spoiler***

Disorder: Way ahead of you on that. :D

LorD BaZTArD, that's a spoiler.
You might want to warn people for that :)
But yes, it looks wonderful.

The combo of a 'puter that couldn't run the alpha and a 'net connection that couldn't handle the load is doing wonders for my self-restraint. :)

I'm sure the areas in the alpha will re-appear in the final game. (They'll be expanded and made more interactive, of course.)

Fredrik said:

I'm sure the areas in the alpha will re-appear in the final game. (They'll be expanded and made more interactive, of course.)

Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing any of those 'dark areas' in the final game!

There are several reasons for me not getting the damn thing (the Alpha):
Practical reasons: My system is not a shitty one, but I still think it's limited enough. Download size is huge. I have a LAN, but such a large file still takes time and I don't feel like waiting that long for a file unless it's something I really want so bad (look below).

Personal reasons: As much as I'm eager to try Doom 3, I don't plan to play the game until I've bought it myself - that is: I don't want to play it off of a friend's computer first, I want to go to a store, buy it, install it on my own comp and play it on my own comp. Thus I do not want to spoil the full experience of the game by having played it beforehand - I want it to BLOW me away when I first try it and playing a demo or an Alpha (which btw is illegal) will spoil that, because a lot of the cool features in the final game would have been exposed beforehand thus drastically lessening the impact of the pleasant surprises.

So no, I am not going to get that Alpha even if some jackass waves a download link right in front of my damn nose. And I hope id releases the demo AFTER the full release like they did with RtCW, so that I am not tempted.

I could download it if I really wanted... I could probabaly even run it on my friends machine (my current computer has trouble with Quake 3 at times), but as tempted as I am, I'd rather wait. After looking at some of the screenshots, there's not much that I haven't already seen at Quakecon... and I think I can wait.

That's not to say that it's damn tempting, though... especially with everyone talking about how great it is... the only way around that is to keep my mind off of the alpha by playing other games... namely Fatal Frame. If any of you like Survival Horror games and have a PS2, definately try this game. It's at least worth a rent.

bah, lighten up people, i only suggest the hardcore doom fanatics not to get this leaked version, otherwise ENJOY
i personally have a shitty connection...56k...but doom3 is doom3 and i wont let something that small effect me.

I havent got it because i cant find it, thats the ONLY reason... so your not alone for now at least

i will not download the Alpha because i will kill my PC and my MODEN... literally....and not forget the poor video card :p

ravage said:

My computer sucks.

Ditto, I havent seen any leaked video or any leaked photos, and I plan to keep it that way. DOOM Anomaly will wait till the real deal.

Doom 3 will killl a LOT of computers... lets make a minute of silence for those poor computers ( like mine).

I love my computer. I won't let it suffer any harm just cause a new lil' game is being released...