Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Scythe

Category 1.

Died in map 11 to a quick double embarassing failure at dodging revenant fireballs, right at the beginning.

Before that I almost died in map 7 because how do I dodge spiders in this confined space without blasting myself in the face, then again in map 8 after gracefully eating a full blast from a mancubus.

dwironman-leszczynek-scythe.zip

EDIT: tried to pistol start map 11 because if I know where to go first, it will be a piece of cake, and it was, until the ambush a bit further on where I panicked and died again. At least I won't have regrets, I guess.

Edited by Leszczynek

I'm going to join in this month as I know scythe reasonably well, plus I happen to be playing through it right now, which is coincidental. I'm a little confused about the process, though. My run will be prepared, and I'm just a little confused because I looked at some of the leaderboards of past events. All entries seem to have a category attached to them. Is this because they were all standard runs? And if so, is that because no one did a prepared run, or because prepared runs weren't their own category in the past?

Died and resurrect like our Lord (don't ask me how it could be happened, maybe i've touched by mistake the spacebar, i don't really know) on MAP06 after meeting my fate by evading cacos, knights and been wasted by a barrel.

Didn't played this megawad from something like... 6/8 years maybe? I don't recall it now, anyway from very, very long time. So i put this to category 1 (semi-blind).

walt-ironman-1-scythe.zip

1 hour ago, Arbys550 said:

My run will be prepared, and I'm just a little confused because I looked at some of the leaderboards of past events. All entries seem to have a category attached to them. Is this because they were all standard runs? And if so, is that because no one did a prepared run, or because prepared runs weren't their own category in the past?

What the category numbers mean has changed somewhat since they were introduced, so looking back at previous months can be confusing. Category 3 used to mean what the current "Prepared" leader board does: practicing your run after the WAD has been announced and then self-declaring the official run before it's made. Now, category 3 is a first attempt like any other on the Standard leader board, except the player will have watched either a stream or a demo of the WAD being played before making his run.

The 3 categories only exist to serve the Standard leader board. There are no categories for the Prepared leader board.

To add on to Alfonzo's very concise explanation, I would also say that the two separate leaderboards are primarily for those of us (such as myself) who both want to try their hand at the selection blind (just load it up and go without any preparation) and the desire to actually make progress in the selection (I recall that I once said that my goal was simply to make it to Map 2).

Cat 1. Never saw or played before. Died in map15. Got distracted a little bit and wasn't able to think fast when needed... I enjoyed these levels very much.

Some of participants didn't tell category.

dwil_scth_ls.7z

Haha, damn. I replayed Scythe not more than a month ago. Don't think there'll be many cat 1s, and honestly I got quite a few megawads on my backlog, so not motivated to doing another run. Sure would be a joy to experience Scythe for the first time again. It honestly surprised me there's even if just a few people in this thread that haven't played Scythe yet.

EDIT-nvm I haven't read the thread

Edited by NaZa

Things didn't go well when one of the ravenants in map22 instantly queued retaliation missile attack as I hit it and tried to get close for a punch. Category 2 submission.

Well I got a lot further than I thought I would. I played absolutely terribly the first 6 maps, fortunately they are too easy to really punish me with a death (with the exception of the dropdown on map 06, which to my surprise I cleared with ease). Map 11 I cleared too without that much trouble either. I thought I was going to die on map 12, I did a great showing of how not to play that level lol. Then it was much simpler going after that for a while. I took the secret level but not the super secret level. Map 17 (my favourite map in all of Scythe) was the next to challenge me, was glad to come out of that alive.

And then the hell episode. I struggled a bit through map 21 but I made it. And then map 22. What a dumb way to go out. Note to self: do not try to berserk punch cacos. Category 2, died after about 1h 24 or so. All in all, happy how far I got, in spite of playing not that great on some of the maps.

0_ironman_horus.zip

I decided to give this month's ironman a go since it's Scythe. I've played this wad numerous times, with one instance being relatively recently, that being a co-op session some months ago. This is definitely a good wad to practice saveless runs on, and I thought I could easily beat this but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

Dead on MAP29 with the secret levels beaten. I seem to have lost my senses after death exiting 28 and just flailed around a bit before dying. Category 2, although obviously my memory failed me at the end. Ah well, at least it was something unexpected as I was thinking I would certainly die on either 28 or 30. The time is something ridiculously slow like 1:50:00 give or take a few minutes.

Spoiler

Actually, does that death exit even count? If not I guess that's a death on 28.

ironman_scythe_nr.zip

Hmm, another of my favourites. Gonna give this a spin soon (it's going to be a cat 2 demo - completed on ZDoom about a year ago).

Survived! I have NO IDEA how I survived map28. I fell off the BK platform and somehow managed to recover and get a death exit. I have no idea how, my body was nowhere near the exit. You guys have to watch it for yourself it was insane! I almost rocketed myself to end it too when I fell off. I guess they say never give up. Are death exits legal?

About halfway through the wad I remembered the skips that you could do for maps 26 and 30 and used them to full effect. First two episodes were fast, last was really slow. Also I didn't do the secret maps because of nerves, I guess.

Time was 2:01:29, this was a prepared run.

iron01.zip

Edit: On closer inspection it seems that two infighting chaingunners inadvertently hit the hitbox of my dead body causing it to be pushed through the exit. Talk about RNG!

1 hour ago, Arbys550 said:

I fell off the BK platform and somehow managed to recover and get a death exit.

Well, today I learned that the blue key pit is actually escapable. Honestly have no idea despite all the playthroughs I've done.

Congrats on the survival too!

19 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Well, today I learned that the blue key pit is actually escapable. Honestly have no idea despite all the playthroughs I've done.

Congrats on the survival too!

It's escapable, but you don't have the time to spare if you fall down to get to the exit (Without the death at least).

Now this is funny....I played Scythe with mods before the end of november, some days before trying Abcess and, lo and behold, this mapset is chosen.

So uh...technically I'll post the demo in category 3, I think?

And, I saw the announcement that Naza is taking the torch. Congrats for that :)

5 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

So uh...technically I'll post the demo in category 3, I think?

AFAIK, it is cat 2 of you played it before its announcement.

Cat 2, died on MAP06.

No words can describe this disappointment. Pathetic shit. Now if you excuse, I'm just going to curse everything.

seedscythe.zip

So, having scrolled through the first page today, damn, I completely missed Alfonzo's retirement part.

Well, thanks a lot for everything man, you've played a major role in making this more fun for everyone of us. I hope you'll keep participating to the Ironman challenges even after retiring though, at some point in the future. I've no doubt you made the right choice by putting Naza in charge of the challenges, he's basically been your right hand for a long time.

Stupid death at map 23....should had went all-out with the start of the map. Category 2, UV, 1:20:10, 15/105 monsters.

Demo here: dwim_scyLD85.zip

EDIT: ah yeah, always forget to say that I also did the secret maps...

Edited by leodoom85

Heheh, i wasn't mentally prepared for a long run, even when i knew it was Scythe! Still, first 1 hr Ironman demo is something satisfying. Once again, merry christmas y'all!

Dead at Map21, with 1 secret level done. Category 2 even though i forgot everything in E2.

dwironmancatdec19.zip

Edited by Catpho

Some people practice for their prepared runs. I never found the time this month to do that, but I did study some of the maps in the editor, so there's that. Here are both runs.

dwil_pegleg_scythe.zip

Category 1

Dead on Map 05

Kills: 11/36

Time: 21:18

I didn't handle the start of Map 05 very well. I rushed off into the slime tunnels rather than being calm and collected in the face of a chaingunner who couldn't miss from a distance (it sucks when they do that). Once I down there, I didn't handle the specters down there well.

Category 3

Dead on Map 07

Kills: 0/12

Time: 31:41

I hadn't actually played past Map 05, but I had looked over Map 06 a bit, so I had an idea of what was coming. I suppose I wasn't anticipating making it past Map 07, especially since it was so late in the month, so I should have checked it out first. Perhaps then I might have acquitted myself a tad bit better in the face of a rather hot start.

I had never played Scythe before this month, although it was highly recommended, and I can see why. The maps are small and approachable. They're not hyper-detailed, but they don't need to be. The focus is on gameplay, which comes shining through. I thoroughly enjoyed Scythe, and I will probably go back and play through it sometime, especially given that the size of the maps lends itself to being able to play through them relatively quickly.