Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archanhell

Fatal Non-UI Error - Missing DLL "devil.dll" (GZDoom Builder Bugfix)

Hello everyone, I come to post here regarding a very bothersome error that I've been having since days ago about GZDBBF, which does not allow me to load the builder at all.

Fatal non-UI error:

Unable to load DLL 'devill.dll': the specified module could not be found. 

(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Stack trace:

at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.illnit()

at CodeImp.DoomBuider.General.Main(String[] args)

This error displays every time I double click the builder icon in order to attempt to use it.

I have tried the following to solve this:

•Reinstalled GZDBBF many times, 6+ and counting.

•Attempted the lastest versions such as 3096, 3094, etc.

•Followed the guide on this site (http://www3.telus.net/kappesbuur/BEGINNING/mapping_for_gzdoom/editors/editors.htm), downloading the SlimDX Runtime Setup for x64 bit Systems, nothing.

•Downloaded Doom Builder 2 in order to see if it works with GZDBBF.

•Deleted DevIL.dll to replace it with a copy of DB2's .dll

•Renamed the .dll to all capital letters, lowercase, etc

•Downloaded Direct9X and set it up

•Attempted to download .NET .4.6.1, it didn't work because I have a later update apparently

And countless more things that would make this post pretty much extense.

I have Windows 10 system, x64-bits, and all the requirements to run the program.

The file is also missing on SysWOW64 and System32, in case that has something to do with it.

I'm out of ideas and I don't know what to do anymore.

Well, there really is not much to say, since every version of the editor comes with DevIL.dll.

DevIL.dll (only one l not devill.dl) is a non-system file, which is run from inside GZDBBF. Therefore it won't be found in SysWOW64 or System32. That is a file which cannot be mixed and matched from older editors. While you mention that you have Windows 10 system x64, you did not mention which version of GZDBBF you are trying to install, the x86 or the x64 version. They have different file sizes.

• r3097 32-bit DevIL.dll  747k
  • r3097 64-bit DevIL.dll 1721k

How did you install the editor?  A manual download from DRDteam or through the updater?

And, if manually, where?  Into the same folder or into separate folders, not in Program Files or Program Files (x86)?

[edit]

I'm not certain if this will help or not, before installing a new version of the editor, at this point, it might be worthwhile to delete GZBuilder.cfg in C:\Users\computername\AppData\Local\Doom Builder and let the editor generate a new config file.

Edited by Kappes Buur

devil.dll is included with GZDB-BF. Don't remove it from its directory.

10 hours ago, Archanhell said:

Attempted to download .NET .4.6.1, it didn't work because I have a later update apparently

Do you have it or do you not? That's crucial to know.

Also you apparently need a Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable installed (for the 64bit version of the devil.dll, or 2010 for the 32bit version).

11 hours ago, boris said:

devil.dll is included with GZDB-BF. Don't remove it from its directory.

Do you have it or do you not? That's crucial to know.

Also you apparently need a Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable installed (for the 64bit version of the devil.dll, or 2010 for the 32bit version).

I attempted to download NET 4.6.1, but I have the lastest version as it seems, otherwise it would have either installed it or displayed some other error.

I don't know if I have Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable, I'll install it ASAP too.

13 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Well, there really is not much to say, since every version of the editor comes with DevIL.dll.

DevIL.dll (only one l not devill.dl) is a non-system file, which is run from inside GZDBBF. Therefore it won't be found in SysWOW64 or System32. That is a file which cannot be mixed and matched from older editors. While you mention that you have Windows 10 system x64, you did not mention which version of GZDBBF you are trying to install, the x86 or the x64 version. They have different file sizes.

• r3097 32-bit DevIL.dll  747k
  • r3097 64-bit DevIL.dll 1721k

How did you install the editor?  A manual download from DRDteam or through the updater?

And, if manually, where?  Into the same folder or into separate folders, not in Program Files or Program Files (x86)?

[edit]

I'm not certain if this will help or not, before installing a new version of the editor, at this point, it might be worthwhile to delete GZBuilder.cfg in C:\Users\computername\AppData\Local\Doom Builder and let the editor generate a new config file.

Thanks I will try that ASAP and edit my post to tell you what happens.

I guess upon deletion of the GZBuilder.cfg I just try opening it again, right?

Also, I reinstalled it many times manually from the DRDteam website, the only time I didn't was when I downloaded r3094 or something and then used the Updater to get the lastest one.

I downloaded it into my USB, so Disk D: on a folder named "GZDoom Builder Bugfix"

As for the version, I'm trying to get r3097, my DevIL.dll is 1721k, so It's 64-bit.

EDIT: IT LOADED!!

I don't know what was the problem, but very possibly it was both things, being Visual C++ 2015 not being on my PC and the GZDBBF config thingie.

Thank you VERY MUCH, both of you!

I was kind of mad because this error persisted for days, and now it is finally fixed, really thank you! :D

Edited by Archanhell : Editor loaded up so It is fixed!