Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mad boi

DOOM mod i made in doom bulider

Looks like a decent start. Work on those texture alignments and maybe a bit more texture variety. It looks very 90s style which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

22 hours ago, Nevander said:

Looks like a decent start. Work on those texture alignments and maybe a bit more texture variety. It looks very 90s style which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

Thanks 

On 12/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, Nevander said:

Are you saying we did not have texture variation in our maps in the 90s? ;-) j/k

Its a decent start. :) Try to set your floor/ceiling heights at 32 or 64 unit increments as many of the textures will line up better like this just naturally. Keep it up...

On 12/2/2019 at 11:14 AM, OniriA said:

tenor.gif

Whilst it is tempting to make this kind of post (And indeed, 7 likes, so me commenting on this is automatically a sour grape lol) given the OP, its not that really contributive.

Ontopic:

1. Pic 1: That looks like a nice elevator, in particular i like how you used texture variety here to distinguish this from the rest of the shot. It stands on its own and that's a good skill to have in terms of level design: It does not look out of place, but its still very much its own thing.
  2. Pic 2: Similar to 1, this looks like a nice gateway and it stands on its own. I would argue it looks a little out of place here because the background is not some overworld kind of thing (Like a gateway to Mordor, a bridge). This looks more like a portal inside a building. Does that make sense?
  3. Pic 3: This is functional. I don't really have any comments on this that aren't already said above here, so yeah.
  4. Pic 4: Here i would argue the window needs to be a little higher, and the usage of this texture makes it a bit ''muddy''. Try looking for similar textures that have a little bit more detail in them.
  5. Pic 5: Along with Pic 1 this is one of my faves. Not so much of the texture used, but more because of the height. It looks really low and this shot looks a lot more like Wolfenstein 3D than it does to Doom. One has to ask tho: How big is Doomguy in here? And can only certain enemies of a certain height entry this hallway?

All in all:

There are some nice basics in here that highlight that for certain things you have come up with an interesting solution. That said, i would advise, like the above, to look at your texture work and also (in Pic 2) to think whether certain structures are logical to have. Does a techbase in a building have a brown portal like that? In either case, keep it up. :)

20 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Whilst it is tempting to make this kind of post (And indeed, 7 likes, so me commenting on this is automatically a sour grape lol) given the OP, its not that really contributive

Spoiler

That person commented when the OP was having the Pink guy avatar when he first posted the topic, so don't be afraid to make the comment.

Everything looks ok, just make sure you take care of those texture alignments ( I doubt you're keeping them like that anyways). Also try to keep your doors to a thickness of 8 units instead of 32. Make sure you unpeg your door tracks and throw in some more texture variety and you should be good. Id play it.

I like the texture choices, a cool combination between Star textures and Metal, like Doom2 meets Doom. Always appreciated to see people make maps with that rock texture, altough I find it hard to accept it my own maps. I think the biggest challenge is to see this through all the way to the end and turn it in a playable map, building the map is a big part of the whole process, but you still spend considerable more time on bugfixing, playtesting, finetuning etc. Some more texture variety, texture alignment, lighting variation, Just take your time on it, don't try to rush it out the door, and most of all enjoy working on it.