Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I've been working on this the last couple of days, and it's not quite done yet. I just want to know if I am going the right direction with it. If you wanna see it, just provide an e-mail addy or an AIM SN. :)

BTW, this requires ZDoom.

For the love of god don't split your linedefs unecessarily like that. And try to remember that Doom counts by 8, not 10, which could be a good reason why your unpegs are all screwed up.

Archvile64 said:

Yeah, but if you want it to look nice counting by 8 is recommended.

It does look nice, IMO. :P

DooMBoy said:

It does look nice, IMO. :P

It looks nice outside the misalignments that are caused from not using good sector ceiling and floor heights...

Well, finished playing it twice through each on all difficulties, and I must say that it is a very good level and helps carry the lovely theme of a computer Station. Exelent monster and item placement and quanities, great texture useage and ideal form and level structure.

However... I did run into a few boo-boo's along the way...

I'm not sure if these have been pointed out yet or fixed, so I won't go on for 2 hours mentioning them, unless you want me to, the errors aren't that bad, but they did degrade the gameplay and disable completion of the level in some cases. If you want me to explain them, just say, and I will.

But Over-all, Superb job :D

AARGH! I'm writing this fourth time now: first time we changed class, second time I got a computer with broken spacebar and third time I accidentally pressed a button that brought the registration window erasing all my writing. This better go right now...

Well, to the point. The level was quite nice, nothing special but still good. I completed it a few times on UV and once on HMP. There are a few things I would still work on:

1. Ammo/monster placement needs working. I run out of ammo after getting the yellow keycard and after getting the chaingun there was plenty of ammo to it so that I never needed to use shotgun anymore.

2. Difficulty: the level was quite easy even on UV. I would fix the problem by inserting more monsters, not by decreasing the amount of ammo, health or monsters. Especially because I found the monster count to be quite low.

3. Like archvile 64 said, the unneccesery splitting of linedefs looks weird and counting by 10 creates some problems. I don't know if the unpegs in the second elevator were screwed up because of that but at least they were... And there was a missig texture next to the elevator.

4. When going trough the yellow door the ceiling sometimes lowers in the sectors around it and the floor rises. Maybe some weird trigger value?

Like I said, it's a good level that could be easily made a lot better. Keep up the good work :)

Ultimate DooMer said:

DooMBoy: Is this the wad named "dbe1m7.wad" in newstuff?

Also, am I right in thinking this is your first map?

(it's only for info, to put in the review)

Yes, it's my first released map, and yes it's called DBE1M7.zip and there's a DBE1M7.wad. :)

DooMer 4ever said:

1. Ammo/monster placement needs working. I run out of ammo after getting the yellow keycard and after getting the chaingun there was plenty of ammo to it so that I never needed to use shotgun anymore.

I added a few more enemies and did some more balancing. It should be about perfect.

2. Difficulty: the level was quite easy even on UV. I would fix the problem by inserting more monsters, not by decreasing the amount of ammo, health or monsters. Especially because I found the monster count to be quite low.

Yes, I believe I got that fixed too. I added some monsters and lowered the quantity of ammo on UV.

3. Like archvile 64 said, the unneccesery splitting of linedefs looks weird and counting by 10 creates some problems. I don't know if the unpegs in the second elevator were screwed up because of that but at least they were... And there was a missig texture next to the elevator.

Like I said, that's the way I edit, so sue me :)
As for the elevator, probably fixed it, don't know.

4. When going trough the yellow door the ceiling sometimes lowers in the sectors around it and the floor rises. Maybe some weird trigger value?

I noticed that and fixed it. :)

Like I said, it's a good level that could be easily made a lot better. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks, I intend to keep making levels. :)

DooMer 4ever said:

Yea, and this also sometimes happens to the "secret" *wink wink*...and also it effects the Yellow key door so it doesnt open...strange, really.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Yea, and this also sometimes happens to the "secret" *wink wink*...and also it effects the Yellow key door so it doesnt open...strange, really.

I downloaded the newstuff version and the problem is still there and it also happened to the sector with the yellow key. But the chages you've made are to the better nonetheless.

I just gave the level a run through and I'm still unsure exactly what it is you're talking about. Could you explain?

Rightio...

Ya know the secret passage way to getto the Rocket Launcher... In some cases, not only do the doors close, but the whole passageway area closes down like a door, and if you're stuck under it, u gotta use idclip to get out, and once it comes down like that, it never goes back up. Sometimes when this occurs or just when you open the secret pasage way and it doesnt mess up, The yellow key door gets stuck and wont open, it just goes up like a cm when u try to open it. This also happens when you're at the yellow key Door, which if any of these happens, then the level is unplayable, unless you get the key somehow before it does this...

well it is very good for a first map, great theme and sticks with E1M7, i saw it probably before many of u did. yea there where a few bugs early on, i think most of those were fixed by final release. Enemy placement starts out good, but got a little weak at the end. great level layout, however i wish it was bigger. lighting fit very well with the map and i didnt seem to notice any bad texture messups. for a first map it gets an A.

i know we will see more of these

DooMBoy said:

Thanks, Seph. Yes, you will see more :)

Yeah, like one a day :P