Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Coolest Console Application?

What are some cool console applications that you know of? Obviously console applications are usually used as a training ground for beginner programmers and are usually basic programs. However there has been some really cool programs that have been made running in a console window such as this. 

> are usually used as a training ground for beginner
I disagree. Lots of programs don't need graphical user interface.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:10 AM, Doominator2 said:

Obviously console applications are usually used as a training ground for beginner programmers and are usually basic programs.

I beg your pardon?

Console demo's as in Windows/Linux Textmode? Because boy, you can do wonders with that:

Also, here is a framework, so you can have a look on how this works.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I beg your pardon?

Ya maybe that came across wrong, What I meant was that Console Applications are usually the first types of programs that people make (at least the ones I know).

Starting with console needs you can focus on just the core logic of example programs, without having to deal with all the boilerplate needed to set up a GUI.

Of course hello world programs are going to be simple, but that doesn't mean command-line programs are necessarily at the hello_world level of complexity. Ketmar cited gcc, that's a good example of a very complex program.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

hat doesn't mean command-line programs are necessarily at the hello_world level of complexity

yeah. we can continue with things like vim or emacs, for example. or elinks (or w3m, if you want it as a filter). or myriad other utilities.

@Doominator2 we, programmers, love our console programs. i guess you meant something like textmode demos, but it is too late, the can is broken and worms are out. ;-)

Aw man lol, ya I know console applications can be very complex, just meant to say that a lot of programmers (the ones I know at least) all started with console applications.

Everybody does. When learning to program GUIs are only a complication. But the same goes for lots of modern software as well, a C compiler does not need a GUI, all it needs is to produce output in a way that can be captured by a GUI.

Actually, there's a lot more pure command line programs in all OSs than you might think, you normally just don't use them directly.