Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RonnieJamesDiner

Tartarus (UDMF / OTEX map for GZDoom)

It's the "All special lines can block <use>" compatibility option. The line that teleports the monsters around is just too close to the switch. You can force it off through MAPINFO:

map MAP01 "Tartarus"
{
    sky1 = "OSKY04"
    music = "ROGUE"
    compat_useblocking = 0
}

33 minutes ago, boris said:

It's the "All special lines can block <use>" compatibility option. The line that teleports the monsters around is just too close to the switch. You can force it off through MAPINFO:

map MAP01 "Tartarus"
{
    sky1 = "OSKY04"
    music = "ROGUE"
    compat_useblocking = 0
}

You're a MAD MAN. Hopefully that is indeed the issue. I had no idea that was a setting. I can't thank you enough! 

@kaleb. @Demion I'll update the WAD as soon as I get home, hopefully this is the only source of the issue for you.

46 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

The blue column (the one for the blue key) won't lower if you don't pick the BFG. And you can't pick it up if you have 600 cells already...

I actually realized this after the release, and have since changed the setup there to avoid this. Thanks for pointing it out though! It'll be corrected for the update. 

Ultra-minor nitpick: what is that baron at the start hanging from?

Spoiler

KUHKixu.png

The void in this area isn't instadeath, a fact some arch-viles helped me discover. They're so helpful!

Spoiler

K2W0Dyu.png

The textured automap fails here, which seems to hint at broken subsectors.

Spoiler

xKvX7bP.png

The upper arena for the blue key (with the big spider) is kinda annoying to get back up to if you fall to the lower level during the fight (and I fell a lot). Crossing through the main island, then using two elevators in a row, then crossing through the main island again but on a bridge this time, and finally dropping back down. It could use an elevator to get back into the fray quickly, even if it only becomes active once you land on it "the right way" for the first time, just like how the pool of blood raises. Perhaps this wall section could be it? The other three are passageways.

Spoiler

pek1lqH.png

The final melee was... a bit too hard for me, what with the big mess of arch-vile. I tried BFG, I tried infighting, but in the end the method that worked was... the coward's way out, rocket-jumping above the barrier ASAP before they have the time to gang-incinerate me. (They're the ones who gave me the idea to do this, since during an attempt my burnt corpse landed back outside after a quick visit to the stratosphere.) After that, riding the elevator and peeking just a fraction of a second from time to time was enough to trigger a monstrous infighting section which lasted for a long while and ended up with everyone dead except two heavily-wounded cybies.

@Gez Thanks for checking the map out, I really appreciate the feedback. To address your first few points, (1) Basically... that Baron is hanging by the power of the imagination! I was honestly just hoping no one would think too hard about it, lol. (2) Thank you finding that missing insta-death sector; fixing that. (3) I'll try to fix those broken subsectors, I've been finding them intermittently and just haven't caught them all yet, again thank you. 

The blue key arena was a huge oversight by me that shouldn't have been released like that, it's definitely annoying to no end. I've changed it so that the centre blood column will act as one huge lift once it raises up top, this will be part of the update coming shortly.

As for the final arena, it's meant to be a serious challenge. I do really appreciate you discovering the fact that you can get blasted out by the Archviles, I'll be blocking those linedefs to hopefully trap the player in there for good (I'm sorry to rob you of your strategy, but I still commend the effort!) So, the idea I had here -- and the strategy I've used to beat that arena -- was getting as many BFG shots off at the Archviles as possible, while waiting for the Cyberdemons to come into play. At that point, it becomes essentially a game of using the Cyberdemons to spark massive infighting with the Viles and Revs, while dodging and killing as best you can, snagging the two Megaspheres that become available as needed. The Cyberdemons are effectively your allies here, at the start. Sometimes I still have a bitch of a time pulling this off, but it is completely manageable.

Hopefully the final battle, bugs and oversights didn't detract too much from the experience. The feedback has been really helpful!

I've updated the original post with the latest version of the map. Thank you so much for the support and feedback! I'll leave a full list of changes below. If you've already played the map, there aren't really any massive, game-altering changes, just a lot of quality-of-life stuff. Hopefully those of you who were experiencing the red skull switch bug will be in the clear now.

// Tartarus v1.1 //

-- Visuals --

- Replaced small red switches with their purple variants for easier visibility
- Made the switch for the main lift (hopefully) stand out more
- Fixed flickering light level bug in central arena
- (Hopefully) fixed the rest of the broken subsectors

-- Gameplay --

- Added a MAPINFO compatibility flag to hopefully address the Red Skull switch issue (thank you boris for the incredible tip, and thanks
to kaleb. and Demion for reporting this)
- [Blue Key Arena] The large central blood pillar now acts as a lift once it raises, so the player can almost instantly get back up
to the arena if they fall (thank you Aurelius and gez for bringing this to my attention)
- Added the Yellow Skull to what was originally the optional double-Cyberdemon trap on the eastern edge (requiring the red key). 
The yellow key can still be obtained from the Caco-cage arena/trap at the far north of the map, so there's two ways of getting that key
now. I just wanted to make that Duo-Cyb trap actually mean something, and thought this added a nice bit of extra non-linearity.

- Added a blocking line to the final arena (player should be right proper trapped in there now)
- Added the missing insta-kill sector special (thank you for spotting this gez, though undoubtedly it meant you died a screaming
miserable death discovering it)
- Added a new secret, and re-positioned one of the Soulsphere secrets
- A few other smaller, incidental tweaks

Wow, looks gorgeous...

swipes right

taps super like

gzdoom -file tartarus_v1.1.zip

15 minutes later...

Wow, that was gorgeus!

@Bridgeburner56 Hey, thanks so much for the kind words and the playthrough, that was great to watch. Sorry I missed the stream! There was actually an updated version that addressed a few of your points -- chief among them being the issue of falling from the blue key arena, you can actually just use the large blood pillar now as a lift. Your feedback was tremendously helpful though, I almost died in my chair when I realized you can activate the final fight a second time... I'll be fixing that immediately. Didn't consider the fact that I was using the same button for both the fight activator, and the perpetual lift caller. Whoops. That was the reason you couldn't get back into the centre at the end, the final fight had technically been "activated" again and the area was sealed off for it. The notes on lighting and directing the player were also extremely helpful. 

Immensely appreciated, and just glad to see you had a good time.