Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chemo

"Slayers Collection" leaked?

These pages have appeared on GAME UK's website:

https://www.game.co.uk/en/doom-slayers-collection-2704780

https://www.game.co.uk/en/doom-slayers-collection-2704783

Archived versions:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191204000159/https://www.game.co.uk/en/doom-slayers-collection-2704780

https://web.archive.org/web/20191203234641/https://www.game.co.uk/en/doom-slayers-collection-2704783

For those who can't click the links for some reason, this appears to be a compilation containing DOOM 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Releases December 13th for £24.99 (roughly $32 USD)

So it's just Doom 2016 with keys for 1/2/3 which are already available for purchase. It's interesting that it leaked but the actual product is meh.

6 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

So it's just Doom 2016 with keys for 1/2/3 which are already available for purchase. It's interesting that it leaked but the actual product is meh.

It's probably for those who want to catch up on the series, and for the price it's a steal.

1 hour ago, chemo said:

It's probably for those who want to catch up on the series, and for the price it's a steal.

Yeah, definitely. It just means that basically no one on DW is in the target demo so meh.

Whenever these Doom collections are re-released for the 78,973rd time, I always get annoyed that Final Doom, NRFTL, Master Levels, ROE and - now that it's been ported - Doom64 aren't explicitly included. Why? Shit is as old as the hills anyway, pack all that in for no extra charge.

I guess they just wanted the clean "1, 2, 3, 4" thing going on. Just include all the official expansions FFS.

This would be brilliant if everything was included in a physical manner. But 75% of the content is download only. Which means that if those download servers go down some day (and they will), you lost a lot of content.

To be fair i don't like the current trend of putting physical boxes out there and then just figure them as dummy boxes where a download code is included. Its part of the digital-only trend, its cheaper for the publisher, but it introduces a host of dependencies on the end user and limits options.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Whenever these Doom collections are re-released for the 78,973rd time, I always get annoyed that Final Doom, NRFTL, Master Levels, ROE and - now that it's been ported - Doom64 aren't explicitly included. Why? Shit is as old as the hills anyway, pack all that in for no extra charge.

I guess they just wanted the clean "1, 2, 3, 4" thing going on. Just include all the official expansions FFS.

This is exactly what pisses me off, Final Doom never being included in "complete" collections in particular irks me to no end.

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Agree 100% , as a console gamer I've only ever played the PS1 port of Final Doom which I'm well aware is'nt the complete package. I did find out not long ago that Doom classic complete was available on PS3 and as I was contemplating picking up a cheap PS3 to play it on......... they delete the bastard so they can sell these new ports. So yes, please add the Final Doom to this , it needs to be done if not for folks like me then for that sake of doing something different.

I have Doom & Doom II on my 360 but I hate the way they made the sounds effects change in pitch. Like fire your chaingun for a few seconds and it just sounds weird.

Is the PS4 & Xbox 1 version like that too?

On 12/5/2019 at 6:50 AM, Boaby Kenobi said:

I have Doom & Doom II on my 360 but I hate the way they made the sounds effects change in pitch. Like fire your chaingun for a few seconds and it just sounds weird.

Is the PS4 & Xbox 1 version like that too?

I have the Xbox One version and the sounds still have the pitch shifting effect enabled for some reason. I think it sounds cool for a few of the enemies as it gives them a bit of variety as well as the chainsaw but for the other weapons i agree that it does sound weird. The music is heaps better though as it is the correct speed and it uses the Roland SC-55 MIDI music.

For some reason the HUD is slightly squished as it is not in the correct aspect ratio so that can be very annoying. About the controls: There is a sensitivity option now which is nice although you still cannot bind controls but i found that the stock ones are fine except for the lack of fast weapon switching. If i'm not mistaking in the X360 version of Doom II you could use the D-Pad for quick switching between a few weapons (i can't remember which ones). In this port you cannot.

As for the automap: you can't zoom in/out of the automap so it makes it kinda pointless as it's zoomed in pretty far and it's stuck in follow mode as well. I believe the X360 version was the same way though so this is nothing new. In my opinion this can be annoying to newer players as the automap is supposed to help you find your way around and/or get your bearings.

In conclusion Doom and Doom II on XB1 (and possibly PS4) is a mixed bag imo. If the joystick sensitivity and music bothered you in the X360 version than this new re-release fixes those issues but it also introduces others. Doom II comes with the Master Levels but if you own the PS3 version (and still play on a PS3) then you already have those. IMO this new release should of came with Final Doom as well.

In the end it's really up to you if the positives in these newer re-releases outweigh the negatives.

Edited by CyberDreams

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I have the Xbox One version and the sounds still have the pitch shifting effect enabled for some reason. I think it sounds cool for a few of the enemies as it gives them a bit of variety as well as the chainsaw but for the other weapons i agree that it does sound weird. The music is heaps better though as it is the correct speed and it uses the Roland SC-55 MIDI music.

For some reason the HUD is slightly squished as it is not in the correct aspect ratio so that can be very annoying. About the controls: There is a sensitivity option now which is nice although you still cannot bind controls but i found that the stock ones are fine except for the lack of fast weapon switching. If i'm not mistaking in the X360 version of Doom II you could use the D-Pad for quick switching between a few weapons (i can't remember which ones). In this port you cannot.

As for the automap: you can't zoom in/out of the automap so it makes it kinda pointless as it's zoomed in pretty far and it's stuck in follow mode as well. I believe the X360 version was the same way though so this is nothing new. In my opinion this can be annoying to newer players as the automap is supposed to help you find your way around and/or get your bearings.

In conclusion Doom and Doom II on XB1 (and possibly PS4) is a mixed bag imo. If the joystick sensitivity and music bothered you in the X360 version than this new re-release fixes those issues but it also introduces others. Doom II comes with the Master Levels but if you own the PS3 version (and still play on a PS3) then you already have those. IMO this new release should of came with Final Doom as well.

In the end it's really up to you if the positives in these newer re-releases outweigh the negatives.

The closest thing you'll get on console to Doom on PC is Doom & Doom II on Xbox 360 & PS3 imo. Though it didn't have the sensitivity feature like the current ones do, both games launched without a bunch of bugs and wasn't rushed out the door. Xbox One & PS4 versions are ultimately the same thing except with bugs and on a different engine (which imo is a weird decision to make for Doom out of all things)

Just my opinion. The Xbox One & PS4 versions work fine (now), but 360 & PS3 versions will always top for me.

1 hour ago, SovereignX9 said:

The closest thing you'll get on console to Doom on PC is Doom & Doom II on Xbox 360 & PS3 imo. Though it didn't have the sensitivity feature like the current ones do, both games launched without a bunch of bugs and wasn't rushed out the door. Xbox One & PS4 versions are ultimately the same thing except with bugs and on a different engine (which imo is a weird decision to make for Doom out of all things)

It's not "on a different engine", it still is demonstrably Doom's engine given the blatant software renderer and the attract demo loop compatibility (both of which would be quite extensively complicated things to reconstruct). It's also the same game that the Xbox360 and PS3 versions had, and in fact those had the same bugs. This is not an opinion, we know this to be quite true as they released the source code of it with BFG edition, and one of the developers has discussed it.

7 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It's not "on a different engine", it still is demonstrably Doom's engine given the blatant software renderer and the attract demo loop compatibility (both of which would be quite extensively complicated things to reconstruct). It's also the same game that the Xbox360 and PS3 versions had, and in fact those had the same bugs. This is not an opinion, we know this to be quite true as they released the source code of it with BFG edition, and one of the developers has discussed it.

I remember everybody saying that the Xbox One & PS4 versions were running on the Unity engine? I haven't heard really anything since then so it might've been confirmed already that that isn't true, so potentially my bad on that part.

But the Xbox 360 & PS3 versions didn't have a terrible frame rate, aspect ratio issues, and slowed down music at launch. I bought the BFG Edition when it first came out back in 2012-2013. Both versions may share a few similar bugs, but the Xbox One and PS4 versions had way more bugs than the Xbox 360 & PS3 did.

This is gonna take a bit to breakdown. You are going to be very shocked at what you're about to learn.

4 hours ago, SovereignX9 said:

I remember everybody saying that the Xbox One & PS4 versions were running on the Unity engine? I haven't heard really anything since then so it might've been confirmed already that that isn't true, so potentially my bad on that part.

It's a difficult distinction to explain because the nature of the internet means the people who don't understand how computers work spread it as if it apparently meant something. Yes, it is running in Unity, but it does not mean it is Unity. Unity might as well be considered a platform to it, it's just a shell running input and output, but the core Doom library is still very much Doom (no different from Chocolate Doom) and can theoretically run in anything else as long as it can provide inputs and can render the framebuffer. Unity just happened to be the choice because they could port it quickly to 5 different platforms. They could have used Kex and it would have produced the exact same result, with the exact same bugs. Which brings me to:

4 hours ago, SovereignX9 said:

But the Xbox 360 & PS3 versions didn't have a terrible frame rate, aspect ratio issues, and slowed down music at launch. I bought the BFG Edition when it first came out back in 2012-2013. Both versions may share a few similar bugs, but the Xbox One and PS4 versions had way more bugs than the Xbox 360 & PS3 did.

Music is in fact slowed down on the Xbox360 ports. This bug actually originates all the way back from the ports on the original Xbox, provided with Doom3 Collectors Edition and ROE (both of which I also have, just veried it still exists there). You can hear for yourself: Doom2 XBLA, Original. Strangely, this bug is absent from the Doom3 BFG ports on PS3 and PC. For some reason that particular branch wasn't used for the new ports.

The frame pacing issue exists in all ports. Said frame pacing issue is actually due to Doom itself, it's caused by the game needing to run at 35Hz (half that of a 70hz CRT, hence the chosen playsim rate). You can't fix that without introducing an interpolator to create subframes, none of these ports have such a thing. This is an issue that even plagues Chocolate Doom as such.

The only issue that the Xbox360 port lacks is the aspect ratio issue. However, that bug does exist in the PC version of the BFG port. The fact that pixel aspect ratios worked differently in DOS than they do now is actually not common knowledge. However one bug does exist that all these ports have that the new ones don't, the sound speed is wrong for the SSG, you can hear that in the same video I posted regarding the music, this was actually fixed in the new ports and even on launch, it wasn't patched in later.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

This is gonna take a bit to breakdown. You are going to be very shocked at what you're about to learn.

It's a difficult distinction to explain because the nature of the internet means the people who don't understand how computers work spread it as if it apparently meant something. Yes, it is running in Unity, but it does not mean it is Unity. Unity might as well be considered a platform to it, it's just a shell running input and output, but the core Doom library is still very much Doom (no different from Chocolate Doom) and can theoretically run in anything else as long as it can provide inputs and can render the framebuffer. Unity just happened to be the choice because they could port it quickly to 5 different platforms. They could have used Kex and it would have produced the exact same result, with the exact same bugs. Which brings me to:

Music is in fact slowed down on the Xbox360 ports. This bug actually originates all the way back from the ports on the original Xbox, provided with Doom3 Collectors Edition and ROE (both of which I also have, just veried it still exists there). You can hear for yourself: Doom2 XBLA, Original. Strangely, this bug is absent from the Doom3 BFG ports on PS3 and PC. For some reason that particular branch wasn't used for the new ports.

The frame pacing issue exists in all ports. Said frame pacing issue is actually due to Doom itself, it's caused by the game needing to run at 35Hz (half that of a 70hz CRT, hence the chosen playsim rate). You can't fix that without introducing an interpolator to create subframes, none of these ports have such a thing. This is an issue that even plagues Chocolate Doom as such.

The only issue that the Xbox360 port lacks is the aspect ratio issue. However, that bug does exist in the PC version of the BFG port. The fact that pixel aspect ratios worked differently in DOS than they do now is actually not common knowledge. However one bug does exist that all these ports have that the new ones don't, the sound speed is wrong for the SSG, you can hear that in the same video I posted regarding the music, this was actually fixed in the new ports and even on launch, it wasn't patched in later.

Takes a man to admit when he's wrong, and I was wrong. I played 360 Doom so many times and I've played PC Doom (not DOS or Chocolate, GZDoom has always been my source port of choice) numerous times as well, and never noticed the difference. Damn. Welp I guess you learn something new everyday.

Guess my memory doesn't serve me all too well lol. The SSG sound is news to me as well, glad they fixed it for the new ports.

Now question here is, if they're gonna fix the SSG sound... Why not just fix all of the other things that plague these ports 😂