Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
incel

Is there a texture that drives you mad?

Some textures from DooM (1993)

When I first saw a texture with skulls, even a little scared.

Why some skulls are differ in size? And why demons (Cyberdemon) killed the Baron of Hell? Was he a traitor? 

W108_1.gif

WALL76_1.gif

WALL79_1.gif

I think that the baron of hell is there as a sacrifice or something. I think it's one of the most awesome textures doom 1 has, even if its use is extremely limited.

9 hours ago, Taw Tu'lki said:

And why demons (Cyberdemon) killed the Baron of Hell? Was he a traitor? 

W108_1.gif

There're tensions between demons. I know for sure that Cacos and Barons can't stand each other. One secret map is based around the concept that player must force the in-fighting between them.

11 hours ago, Taw Tu'lki said:

Some textures from DooM (1993)

When I first saw a texture with skulls, even a little scared.

Why some skulls are differ in size? And why demons (Cyberdemon) killed the Baron of Hell? Was he a traitor? 

W108_1.gif

I think it was just to scare the player, because up until that point the Baron was the toughest demon that you had fought. So seeing that in the Tower of Babel made you think "What the hell is strong enough to do that to a Baron?". Now it seems a little cheesy, but back in 1993 it had a pretty dramatic effect. Of course by the time I played Ultimate Doom I had already been playing Doom 2 for a year or two, so it wasn't as effective, but I still think it's a neat texture.

34 minutes ago, Jello said:

I think it was just to scare the player, because up until that point the Baron was the toughest demon that you had fought. So seeing that in the Tower of Babel made you think "What the hell is strong enough to do that to a Baron?".

Yeah, if I remember it right, it was Petersen, who came up with this idea.

The Cyberdemon could've just killed them for fun or to try and scare Doomguy into thinking that he didn't stand a chance.

9 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

Whatever the fuck is this?!?

image.png.d44fef3385e816c7fa7c59b8932206d5.png

Like a blank texture that's forgot to finish.

Simply put, a sketch.

18 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

I always thought it was some kind of moss growing on stone.

Maybe Baron's make abstract art...

It certainly loses any appeal it may have after being tiled like that instead of being used as a single texture somewhere. haha.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, Mortrixs19 said:

Looks like moss over some peculiar rock formations.

Looks like a tree with branches, leaves, vines, and moss, that wasn't finished. To me it clearly looks like the roots of the tree at the bottom, and the trunk going up the middle. It's got a knot hole in it. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, Taw Tu'lki said:

W108_1.gif

I remember a post a while back (it might have been in the 'Things you just learned about Doom' thread) that pointed out how the dead Barons were a clever warning to players that the big end of episode fights were gonna escalate in toughness. The logic of course being that by leave a bunch of the Big Bad Barons from E1M8 just hanging there would leave the player wondering what kind of badass demon must be waiting for them that they could do something like this. Kinda silly and out there, but combined with how the door texture right before the Spider Mastermind has a Cyberdemon skull among others on it...makes ya think.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:53 AM, Jello said:

I think it was just to scare the player, because up until that point the Baron was the toughest demon that you had fought. So seeing that in the Tower of Babel made you think "What the hell is strong enough to do that to a Baron?". Now it seems a little cheesy, but back in 1993 it had a pretty dramatic effect. Of course by the time I played Ultimate Doom I had already been playing Doom 2 for a year or two, so it wasn't as effective, but I still think it's a neat texture.

I was 6 when I first played Ultimate Doom and I can confirm that seeing the hung Barons was one of the most memorable moments in the game. It scared the shit out of me and had the exact effect it was intended to.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:01 PM, incel said:

NRToOW6.png

On 12/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, elend said:

cement2njnp.png

Actually yeah, these textures...

First one makes me vomit and the others... I don't know, I just can't stand looking at them for extended periods of time.

I don't necessarily think they're bad textures, but I definitely don't like them.

On 12/4/2019 at 5:54 AM, Deⓧiaz said:

Screenshot_Doom_20171001_121038.png

Whoops...

I will dedicate the rest of my days to making a mod that makes the whole game like that exist.

I personnaly don't have a problem with them, but what about the crate textures? I'm pretty sure almlst everybody else loathes them.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, Taw Tu'lki said:Some textures from DooM (1993

And why demons (Cyberdemon) killed the Baron of Hell? Was he a traitor?W108_1.gif

I think the Cyberdemon killed the Barons cuz they failed to kill the DoomGuy

On 12/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, Grimosaur said:

DOBWIRE.png.431701f8d662e32fdbb31980feb0054f.pngDOBWIRE2.png.afe2f7655469805d1601cb7cf7f65c1a.png

These disgusting things from TNT. 

I could never for the life of me understand what they are supposed to be, is it moss or did something fuck up?

6 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I could never for the life of me understand what they are supposed to be, is it moss or did something fuck up?

They're probably vines. Damn ugly looking ones aswell.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:12 AM, Taw Tu'lki said:

When I played one of the lost episodes of Spear Of Destiny and solved levels from 9 to 16, I was wondering about some sprites that were look like a sprites from sci-fi styled game and some walls that were look like a walls from war lab from the 80s.

Like that.

SOD79.PNG

SOD84.PNG

Maybe I don't know, but why authors of lost episode replaced standart Wolfenstein 3D walls with techno and computer walls? And why some walls and barrels has a radiation logo? Did they develop a radioactive weapon during the Second World War? Perhaps I do not know much history, am I not? 

The Lost Episodes do not take place during World War II, but in some sort of surreal cartoon world that makes even less sense than the original Wolf3D. Map21 of The Ultimate Challenge even takes the player to a goddamn UAC base full of Doom textures! World War II didn't have attack robots or chaingun-wielding skeleton knights either. The Lost Episodes are weird, just roll with it.

Those two textures you posted, though, drive me mad for another reason--they look absolutely hideous, among the very worst assets in a pair of expansion packs that is full of ugly sprites and textures.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Mortrixs19 said:

image.png.d44fef3385e816c7fa7c59b8932206d5.png

Was that ripped from Descent II? It looks like something out of the Puuma Sphere/Tycho Brahe levels, and it would have looked a lot better there.

In my childhood I played one mod of DooM that named Alien Doom 

Some textures are changed. And if you play the original Doom episodes with this mod, you'll see something strange things like this.

doom_012.png

Imagine that a doomguy after shootouts with demons gets here.

Doomguy: Allright, now I wanna improve my health. Medics must be here.

doom_004.png

And there are:

Spoiler

doom_005.png

Edited by Taw Tu'lki

19 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a barbed wire fence but was horribly compressed or something and they never bothered to fix it.

You can see the same kind of green pixels in these textures I also took from TNT and Alien Vendetta

DOGLPANL.png.b7ad9fb1cd0cb5f466fb6ff391a39e5e.pngDOWINDOW.png.c75fa5c1ca249a1967673d67c3a71211.png

EG_STAT6.png.7ca41c5cc9a71105dfa7fede33e94364.pngEG_MASK1.png.561cdbf33c49eb0be0dcf6b34e61b805.pngEG_MASK2.png.033992ff62897275716025054ae1c7cf.png