Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slartibartfast

Becoming a game dev

After my recent life crisis (I was damn high, I'll tell you) I've realized that what I need to do is rid myself off my horseshit-stale cubicle job, and become a game developer. Back end, possibly level layout if my prospect boss will warrant me the right.

My sincere and immediate question is then, of course as a DOOM nerd, do I still have something to gain from mapping out my own DOOM levels? Is it just chatter and noise? Will I learn how to think about game mechanics and movement?

I've only dabbled in DOOM maps before, never finished one. But now that's on the radar, if it'll be helpful.

Please, if you may so kindly, discuss.

Well if you know how to make a good Doom map you also know how to generally make good maps and levels in general so yeaah it's quite helpful :)

For starters, this is probably not supposed to be in the Editing Tutorials section, but rather just in in Editing.

Short answer to the question: yes.

Long answer: If you look at modern FPS games, or any modern commercial game for that matter, the gameplay itself hasn't changed that much. Sure you have plenty of gadgets to go around, different weapons and enemy types, but the maps are still mostly structured in a way that could be easily replicated in Doom - maybe with less detail, but that's beside the point.

Some might say, myself included, that gameplay is the most important thing in Doom. Beautiful vistas and intricate detail make it all the better, but what it requires is fun progression and flow to make it enjoyable to play. This doesn't even mean something super intricate, meticulously set up encounters with precise timing, but just generally a good feel to how the player progresses through the map, how the environment is used and how well the entire thing is paced. 

People more experienced than me could explain all that much better, but the point is that the things that make a good FPS map are pretty much universal; no matter what gimmicks the game might have and no matter how the guns behave or what enemies you encounter, it all boils down to making the areas play well with the existing arsenal weapons, gadgets and enemies. How do you introduce a new area to a player, how do you guide him to go where you want him, how do you give him choices (or illusions of choices) and so forth. This kind of smart mapping, gameplay oriented design is completely transferable between FPS games - to some extent even between different genres.

Now when it comes to classic Doom, it does not do room over room. This is not a necessary requirement and you could practice quite well with that restriction, but it is an important distinction between classic Doom and modern games. However, if you'd pick up something like GZDoom Builder and map for UDMF, you have all the necessary tools to create 3D environments with relative ease that would behave much like any commercially released FPS game would. And ease is key word here: Doom is simple enough in it's detail and setup that it's relatively quick to make a map. You won't get bogged down by doing tons of models and artwork, there's so much existing stuff here to make basically anything you want as a designer. Doing the kind of detail seen in modern games is not for designers, but actual modelers and 3D artists who focus on that sort of thing. (I mean you can do models if you so choose, the format is very versatile for those sorts of things).

Bottom line is that anyone who likes to get into first person game development from a design standpoint (making levels and encounters, designing with restrictions in mind and using existing assets to create something fun), there is really quite no better way to practice than Doom.

21 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

For starters, this is probably not supposed to be in the Editing Tutorials section, but rather just in in Editing.

- I was actually a bit unsure of that, as to me "editing" sounded like "how the tool works" and "Editing tutorials" would then govern the specific techniques and designs one is attempting to create. But I haven't been here for around long. I've been a shadow DOOM player... Secretly terrible.

53 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Well if you know how to make a good Doom map you also know how to generally make good maps and levels in general so yeaah it's quite helpful :)

Thank you for your poignant but helpful reply!

30 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Short answer to the question: yes.

Long answer: If you look at modern FPS games, or any modern commercial game for that matter, the gameplay itself hasn't changed that much. Sure you have plenty of gadgets to go around, different weapons and enemy types, but the maps are still mostly structured in a way that could be easily replicated in Doom - maybe with less detail, but that's beside the point.

Some might say, myself included, that gameplay is the most important thing in Doom. Beautiful vistas and intricate detail make it all the better, but what it requires is fun progression and flow to make it enjoyable to play. This doesn't even mean something super intricate, meticulously set up encounters with precise timing, but just generally a good feel to how the player progresses through the map, how the environment is used and how well the entire thing is paced. 

People more experienced than me could explain all that much better, but the point is that the things that make a good FPS map are pretty much universal; no matter what gimmicks the game might have and no matter how the guns behave or what enemies you encounter, it all boils down to making the areas play well with the existing arsenal weapons, gadgets and enemies. How do you introduce a new area to a player, how do you guide him to go where you want him, how do you give him choices (or illusions of choices) and so forth. This kind of smart mapping, gameplay oriented design is completely transferable between FPS games - to some extent even between different genres.

Now when it comes to classic Doom, it does not do room over room. This is not a necessary requirement and you could practice quite well with that restriction, but it is an important distinction between classic Doom and modern games. However, if you'd pick up something like GZDoom Builder and map for UDMF, you have all the necessary tools to create 3D environments with relative ease that would behave much like any commercially released FPS game would. And ease is key word here: Doom is simple enough in it's detail and setup that it's relatively quick to make a map. You won't get bogged down by doing tons of models and artwork, there's so much existing stuff here to make basically anything you want as a designer. Doing the kind of detail seen in modern games is not for designers, but actual modelers and 3D artists who focus on that sort of thing. (I mean you can do models if you so choose, the format is very versatile for those sorts of things).

Bottom line is that anyone who likes to get into first person game development from a design standpoint (making levels and encounters, designing with restrictions in mind and using existing assets to create something fun), there is really quite no better way to practice than Doom.

Gameplay first is also my motto, ...to an extent. There are a lot of different variations and spices that meld together in a game, and what comes out is sort of an anarchic amalgamation of sorts, with what sticks works. At least, this is how I feel amateurs do, and in my opinion they produce better games than the AAA-slew.

So if I'm following you correctly, it would be a good way of trying my darndest to be in the driver's seat of the player, while building?

6 hours ago, CinnamonKilljoy said:

So if I'm following you correctly, it would be a good way of trying my darndest to be in the driver's seat of the player, while building?

Well, player as an abstract concept. There are different types of players, so you have to choose what kind of player you're catering to (because you can't get them all). Sure you can create stuff only for yourself and from the love of design, but ultimately I feel level design is about making it playable for someone else, especially if you're planning to make it into your livelihood.

Of course it's the struggle between doing what you want, and doing something that sells (when it comes to commercial products), so you have to decide the balance yourself. If you map for Doom as a hobby, I (and many others) suggest you do what you want and what you feel is fun, and not care about someone not liking your particular type of fun. But when you create commercial products, target audience and their preferences become more important. You should never compromise your artistic vision for profit too much, however, though I think there's probably a lot of CEOs who would disagree with me.

Edited by Aurelius : Typo correction...

2 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Well, player as an abstract concept. There are different types of players, so you have to choose what kind of player you're catering to (because you can't get them all). Sure you can create stuff only for yourself and from the love of design, but ultimately I feel level design is about making it playable for someone else, especially if you're planning to make it into your livelihood.

Of course it's the struggle between doing what you want, and doing something that sells (when it comes to commercial products), so you have to decide the balance yourself. If you map for Doom as a hobby, I (and many others) suggest you do to what want and what you feel is fun, and not care about someone not liking your particular type of fun. But when you create commercial products, target audience and their preferences become more important. You should never compromise your artistic vision too much for profit, however, though I think there's probably a lot of CEOs who would disagree with me.

Bolded for emphasis - this is what I'm trying. But I'm trying to do so in a way that's even close to fun. :)

I think the recent (or semi-recent?) surge in indie-games, I'd call it an explosion but to be fair it's been pretty tempered, speaks for itself. You might not get the cookie cutters. But you'll get a serious following (I'm in the DOOM, Binding of Isaac, and Darkest Dungeon communities, and probably more to come) that really likes what you do. As long as they are many enough, that would be good.

But granted. Aiming a straight missile at the "bulk" as a starter would definitely ensure some financial stability.

I recommend making super small games with 1 or 2 mechanics when you start out, and don't just keep them on your drive forever, post them somewhere so you can get feedback, 2kliksphilip covers this pretty well in his Game Making Journey series. after you develop a bit of a fanbase you can start making larger games :)

From what I have observed in the DOOM mapping community I must say, if you are interested in pursuing a career in that environment then you are starting out on the right foot.

Depending on their personal interests, a few mappers have branched out even further than just building maps.

Some have become so interested in the internal workings of the game engine that they have progressed to be proficient in C++ programming. Not only in adding bits and pieces to existing engines but to presenting their own forks of some engines. I am mainly thinking of what happened around GZDOOM, but also see EDGE or ETERNITY. And speaking of programming, some have delved into programming such utilities as editors, just look at the development path of Doombuilder.

Others have developed skills in the graphic arts, starting out with producing new sprites for weapons, monsters, artifacts, etc. Even more, since GZDOOM supports 3D models (MD2, MD3), that opened a path for some to become proficient in modeling. My understanding is that they used Maya, Modo, or Milkshape 3D, but most used Blender (the new version 2.81 is just phenomenal and free).

So, yes, building maps for DOOM can be a springboard for a career in that industry.

Work towards your strength.

6 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

I recommend making super small games with 1 or 2 mechanics when you start out, and don't just keep them on your drive forever, post them somewhere so you can get feedback, 2kliksphilip covers this pretty well in his Game Making Journey series. after you develop a bit of a fanbase you can start making larger games :)

Yeah that's a good idea, and sort of what I had in mind. I'm terrible at taking criticism, but I guess I'll have to just learn, then.
Granted I won't be the one spearheading any company or be the idea machine (I've got a friend who signs up for that) and my bro wants to be the designer/artist.

And also, I'll definitely check that series out. I've dug through most of Game Maker's Toolkit (started with my childhood series Zelda) by Mark Brown, but different perspectives are always good.

4 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

From what I have observed in the DOOM mapping community I must say, if you are interested in pursuing a career in that environment then you are starting out on the right foot.

Depending on their personal interests, a few mappers have branched out even further than just building maps.

Some have become so interested in the internal workings of the game engine that they have progressed to be proficient in C++ programming. Not only in adding bits and pieces to existing engines but to presenting their own forks of some engines. I am mainly thinking of what happened around GZDOOM, but also see EDGE or ETERNITY. And speaking of programming, some have delved into programming such utilities as editors, just look at the development path of Doombuilder.

Others have developed skills in the graphic arts, starting out with producing new sprites for weapons, monsters, artifacts, etc. Even more, since GZDOOM supports 3D models (MD2, MD3), that opened a path for some to become proficient in modeling. My understanding is that they used Maya, Modo, or Milkshape 3D, but most used Blender (the new version 2.81 is just phenomenal and free).

So, yes, building maps for DOOM can be a springboard for a career in that industry.

Work towards your strength.

Good point in emphasis. And also it would be fun to do on the side anyways. :)
The one thing I have going for me is that I've been programming for twelve years, and have a diploma and shit (master's) so I can swing my e-peen if I'm in dire straits.

And also, even though I'm not *aiming* for modeling, it might end up being that I have to be proficient in it, and if not, my brother can use your tips.

Thanks to all of you. :)

On 12/5/2019 at 1:18 AM, CinnamonKilljoy said:

I'm terrible at taking criticism, but I guess I'll have to just learn, then.

ah, that's easy. don't read it, just answer with "thank you for your feedback". i am doing that with k8vavoom, and it works perfectly.