Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Amnesia?!!!

Holy Crap...it's been like a long time since I played Doom and i finally got it on my system...Jubilation, but here's the catch-

I've forgotten how to play!! I suck hardcore! like I am totally out of it..I died on "Hurt me plenty" at E2M2 and even once at entryway on UV..it's beyond sad..all these years what skills i had were waning, I don't know how good or bad i was but i used to beat E1 on "nightmare!" and i've played Doom2 and TNT all the way through.

Hopefully those skilz will return to me soon or i won't be good enough for my own damn maps, if rule of thumb is to beat with a pistol start, I may be churning out some lame -kiddie nursery, "i can hurt these mean fluffies better than u by tapping my binky on the keyboard"-style wads...hopefully not!

Why, haven't you been playing other FPSs? Or are you using a doom-compatible setup? I do recommend that, as I think that not being able to run doom and doom2 is like being physically maimed. But it's normal when you are unused to something. When I switched from being a keyboard only player to using a mouse as well (and then again whenever I adjusted my mouse configuration) I had to play on "Hey, not too rough" to avoid being toasted when more than one monster would come at me.

Just practice, play everyday, twice or more. It'll come back, it always does. Make sure you're comfortable with your controls like myk said. I used only the keyboard too when i started, then lost the computer for a few years (Saturn Doom saved my weak ass). On the next computer, i started using the mouse too, and had to relearn. The game is second nature again, just keep playin!

Every time I go from playing JDoom, JHexen, or Quake a lot, which have the mouse speed set very high, to regular Doom, which is a bit slower, it takes a while to adjust to the new speed settings. It's the same when after I've been playing Doom for a while and then I start playing JHexen again.

Good wads for starters:

Relive.wad for Doom2 (9 levels).

Fava.wad for Doom (9 levels).

Wetwrkd1.wad for Doom (1 level).

This isn't the easiest wad around, but the learning curve is really good (except for map 15 that is much harder than the rest):

Mm2.wad for Doom2 (An entire megawad).

When you are really beginning to be good again treat yourself to map23 of Memento Mori (mm.wad). It features insane amounts of big monsters but is still kinda easy. A great ego booster.

Find the wads with doomsearch.com (Remember to type <wadname>.zip instead of <wadname>.wad).

When playing, take your time and don't be afraid to adopt som camper-ass sniper tecniques now and then. Remember that the Doom monsters can't talk shit about you on irc.

Every time I stop playing DooM (or any other FPS game) for a couple of months, I get completely run over by demons and/or DM opponents. I'd say you just start practicing again, that's what I do when I 'lost it'.

For myself, I've found out that trying to re-learn keyboard-only dooming is harder and takes longer than using the mouse to steer/aim.

Ichor said:

Every time I go from playing JDoom, JHexen, or Quake a lot, which have the mouse speed set very high, to regular Doom, which is a bit slower, it takes a while to adjust to the new speed settings. It's the same when after I've been playing Doom for a while and then I start playing JHexen again.

It sounds like you're sticking to the maximum sensitivity normally allowed by doom (9), or not? It doesn't really have a limit, but higher sensitivity is only possible by adjusting the CFG file directly with notepad. Mine's set to 36 for example, though I use a DOS mouse driver, Windows usually having greater acceleration. The only drawback when using a high mouse sensitivity is that if you choose Options from the menu it crashes doom (one should use the function keys or adjust the CFG directly instead.) Also, if you're used to mouselook novert.com may come in handy, which negates back/forth sensitivity, which is a rather highly sensitive fixed value in doom (not very handy unless you practice with it a lot.) You may know all this already, but I don't know, so just in case...

myk said:

It sounds like you're sticking to the maximum sensitivity normally allowed by doom (9), or not? It doesn't really have a limit, but higher sensitivity is only possible by adjusting the CFG file directly with notepad.

Or you could just play with any port.

get some advanced port and play ut style... I can't play doom without a mouse and m-look turned on now or else i suck hardcore. Damn unreal tourniment messing with my oldschool keyboard only playstyle.

DooMer 4ever said:

Or you could just play with any port.

Yeah, so? He's talking specifically about when he uses the original. Like he didn't say he uses other engines already, heh.

yeah well i played ut for a while but trying Doom with a mouse kept me dying, I'll get a little better than try and implement the mouse...yes i got nabbed by an imp at close range and then i went to jump off the elevator and i got stuck on an imp below with already bad health, started to back up and got a fireball in the face from the imp behind window near the exit..i think...my saddest day in Doom history.