Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
st0agie

2019 CACOWARD PREDICTIONS?

This year, even more than most years, a variety of IRL commitments prevented me from playing more than a fraction of the mapsets I was interested in. However, one that I want to get back to and finish ASAP is Jaska's Lost Civilization. Jaska is a genuine Doom artist and Lost Civilization is spectacular work. Not sure it's been officially released, though. Perhaps it's more of a 2020 candidate?

Edited by Steve D

3 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

As an exercise, you could count up everything that someone has been really excited about in this whole thread and the whole mentionation thread, and in the release threads for various project, and then subtract 20 from that number (or maybe slightly more than 20, if you're counting some of the specialty awards). That's how many things are getting snubbed.

Hah... I decided to do this (just with the Mentionation thread). I listed a total of 85 unique nominations/recommendations in that thread alone, not counting the Espi, Creator of the Year, etc. nominations. I thought I had played a shit ton of good Doom wads this year, now I'm staring at this list realizing I barely scratched the surface. God speed and God bless, dear judges.

And if anyone was curious, I counted 49 nominations for Eviternity. So, if there's an award for most nominations... ya know...

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner : Eviternity tally

10 hours ago, Andromeda said:

At least 10 WADs will be awarded a Cacoward.

9 of which will be for Eviternity?

Romero already got a Caco for one of his two pre-Sigil maps. Doesn't mean he cannot get another, though. Sigil wasn't among my own recommendations. It was OK, but compared to stuff like Eviternity or Doom Zero it didn't stick out that much for me. I still hope Romero will make more for Doom 2.

13 minutes ago, Linguica said:

And to think no one is even coming close to predicting the (literally) biggest surprise of all...

You're going to give yourself a Cacoward?  

Hopefully CZECHBOX gets a mention, if not an award. Same for Lunar Catastrophe.

Pinchy still deserves a mapper award for his past work.

1 minute ago, Master O said:

You're going to give yourself a Cacoward?  

I could give myself infinite Cacowards if I wanted. How mundane.

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

Nut up or shut up, prove me wrong and be #1 this year and next.

3 minutes ago, Linguica said:

You're colluding with the Russians?

Sigil is great. I really enjoyed it. Don't think it's Cacoward material though. It'll probably win one anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Linguica said:

And to think no one is even coming close to predicting the (literally) biggest surprise of all...

Dammit, I should have known. "Cacowards are cancelled, folks! We just felt like there wasn't enough high-quality Doom content made this past year to justify the awards. Better luck next year, slackers!" ;P

I'm betting Eviternity is SO widely expected to win, that there could be some kind of 'joke' to make you THINK it is going to get snubbed. Though that is by NO MEANS a prediction it actually will be snubbed...there's no way that can reasonably happen TBH.

No one even near the biggest surprise of all...that is some creepy remark if I do say so myself. And I do.

10 hours ago, Linguica said:

Well if people did predict it, it wouldn't be much of a surprise, now would it?

11 hours ago, Linguica said:

Cacowards are canceled, replaced by a thirty-page review of Doom: Pack II.

15 hours ago, Stoagie said:

Nut up or shut up, prove me wrong and be #1 this year and next.

I could, but why would I want to do that? I have something more valuable than infinite Cacowards: credibility.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Cacowards are canceled, replaced by a thirty-page review of Doom: Pack II.

Hmm. Well, it's the closest anyone has gotten so far, I guess.

No Cacowards. Instead we get the enitire backlog from /newstuff chronicles since it disappeared!

Plot twist: The Doomworld cacoward jury is replaced by the original id team.

Sandy Petersen wins the Espi award, and the entire site gets revamped to reflect his legacy - leaving his beautiful mug to be seen everywhere you look. As you scroll through webpages your browser will randomly lock-up and force you to play through The Chasm to unlock it.

6 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

Sandy Petersen wins the Espi award, and the entire site gets revamped to reflect his legacy - leaving his beautiful mug to be seen everywhere you look. As you scroll through webpages your browser will randomly lock-up and force you to play through The Chasm to unlock it.

Will my halfway-joking theory that Ribbiks was actually Sandy the whole time be proven correct?

There were a lot of finely crafted fetish level works this year. It would be pretty hard for the judge team.
But, weel, noye know something, surely, owaith, Linguica?

Doomer Board forum make a lot of incredible works. And no matter what the judges will select, my ass tell my what is the best wad of the year without question.

But, what i really would like to see, is something that escaped our radar. Something soo amazingly unique and amazing and unique, that no one expect. Maybe the remnant of a project, or something out of scope like a wide********sea.

Anyway, great year for the community, indeed.
Foreword goes for Sigil, i liked it, but i don't found it outstanding. I think it could have been a lot better. 1.1 was right, 1.2 ruined it a little for me.

I hoped for TNT2: Devilution to be one of thes years contenders, but well, c'est la vie!

18 hours ago, Linguica said:

Doom 4 Remake gets an "antiaward" for causing the greatest potential harm to the entire Doom modding scene since people used Disney sprites?

Also, now Neural Upscale x2 hit v1.0, I'd be surprised if there was no mention of that. 

1 hour ago, ukiro said:

Plot twist: The Doomworld cacoward jury is replaced by the original id team.

As I've said before--

Broke: Romero gets a Cacoward

Woke: Romero gives a Cacoward