Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

The Doom Community is Brutal! Post Your Favorite Metal Bands/Songs

Would LOVE to see these guys live again. But they barley ever come to Buffalo. Still gotta get this on Vinyl, already have "The End Complete"

I also noticed that HAK3180 has the cover art for "Symmetric in Design" by Scar Symmetry as his profile pic.

9 hours ago, seed said:

Ya, metalhead here too if it wasn't obvious by now, for starters :p .

But I originally started with certain bands former colleagues from school listened to, such as AC/DC, Metallica, Hammerfall, In Flames, that kind of stuff. Much later on, though (I think around the time I was 14 or so) I discovered Dimmu Borgir through someone, and shortly afterwards I found myself digging really deep into black and death. I admit that initially I could not really appreciate those 2, and I'm going to say extreme metal is definitely an acquired taste, it isn't for everyone and it isn't easy to get into, it took me plenty of listening to the likes of early Dimmu, Darkthrone, Bathory, Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal and so on until it eventually managed to grow on me and I started appreciating it properly.

Despite those being my favorite genres, I also like thrash, speed, doom, heavy, and other music genres as well (dark ambient, (neo-)classical, dungeon synth, country, folk music, synth stuff, and more), and despite what the common misconception says, liking metal has actually nothing to do with liking Doom in my case. In fact, I'd much rather have something else to listen to when playing Doom, such as ambient music.

THIS.! I actually used a MIDI form of Mayhem's "Freezing Moon" as a music track in  a WAD I made. I forget which one.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

12 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I also noticed that HAK3180 has the cover art for "Symmetric in Design" by Scar Symmetry as his profile pic.

Also picked up on that as I enjoy some Scar Symmetry. Saw them live supporting Eluveitie and Epica once. 

3 hours ago, hybridial said:

Also picked up on that as I enjoy some Scar Symmetry. Saw them live supporting Eluveitie and Epica once. 

Was it the old singer or the new ones?

1 minute ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Was it the old singer or the new ones?

New one, I think, I enjoy all their albums about equally though, I find the vocals to not be too different when they changed. 

New one, I think, I enjoy all their albums about equally though, I find the vocals to not be too different when they changed. 

The older singer did both growling and clean singing, it took two guys to replace him when he left and now one guy does the growling and the other clean sings. But I still love all their vocalists they each have different style. The neweer clean singer has more of a warmer comforting tone where as the older one had a more angelic voice that at the same time sounded very distressed emotionally.

I'm sure this is a Question everybody has thought of once in their life at one point or another. What if you combined two of the most badass concepts in human history, that being metal music and Samurai, what would be the result? Well, probably the band actually called Katana, who are pretty decent but the true answer for me is Persefone's Shin-ken album. I bring them up now because I feel their appeal is pretty similar to Scar Symmetry, so @Dubbagdarrel, if you haven't heard them before, I hope you enjoy and this gives you another band to like. 

Spoiler

16 hours ago, almostmatt1 said:

blast beats

Sick stuff dude. My pulse started to go up a bit around :49. I feel the energy.

3 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

''Thrash metal that's one step away from being death metal but it's still considered thrash metal''

I get this. I made some forays over the line into death metal territory, but always preferred the stuff that still had some thrash feeling to it. I never checked out Sodom and I think I should, because that track is killer.

Here's my "death metal that still has a thrash feeling" pick:

I'm sure this is a Question everybody has thought of once in their life at one point or another. What if you combined two of the most badass concepts in human history, that being metal music and Samurai, what would be the result? Well, probably the band actually called Katana, who are pretty decent but the true answer for me is Persefone's Shin-ken album. I bring them up now because I feel their appeal is pretty similar to Scar Symmetry, so @Dubbagdarrel, if you haven't heard them before, I hope you enjoy and this gives you another band to like. 

Hide contents

Deffinitley getting the SS vibes here. Thank you for showing me this! Heard of these guys never gave them a look. Some of their guitar tone and rhythms kind of remind me of something from Born of Osiris and leads that sound like Children of Bodom

3 hours ago, Worm said:

Sick stuff dude. My pulse started to go up a bit around :49. I feel the energy.

I get this. I made some forays over the line into death metal territory, but always preferred the stuff that still had some thrash feeling to it. I never checked out Sodom and I think I should, because that track is killer.

That bass tone is fucking sick!

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Since we're talking metal, anyone else got an appreciation for the "Epic Metal" bands, like Symphony X or Blind Guardian?

I love blind guardian

I guess you could say that I like metal a fair amount. This is one of my personal favourite albums:

3 hours ago, AD_79 said:

I guess you could say that I like metal a fair amount. This is one of my personal favourite albums:

KICK ASS MAN. If this is where we're going check this out!

Ministry, Chimaira, Sepultura and Napalm Death are my absolute favourites. There's quite a bunch of bands in the same vein as these that come awfully close to being "also my favourite bands" :D

3 hours ago, Uncle 80 said:

Ministry, Chimaira, Sepultura and Napalm Death are my absolute favourites. There's quite a bunch of bands in the same vein as these that come awfully close to being "also my favourite bands" :D

Fav of Sepultura- Beneath the Remains

Fav of Napalm Death- Scum

Saw Napalm Death with Cannibal Corpse, Immolation and Beyond Creation back in 2013. Napalm's vocalist was so loud that he blew out two mics during their set! lol

3 hours ago, Worm said:

I never checked out Sodom and I think I should, because that track is killer.

European and South American Thrash metal bands are the best in this type of Metal. 

3 hours ago, Worm said:

Never heard of this one tho, but holy shit these guys are good. 

5 hours ago, hybridial said:

Reveal hidden contents

Interestingly, Hip-hop and samurai or japanese culture in general cross paths pretty frequently. It might be the more laid back, subdued instrumentals of hip hop, or the themes of honor and power represented in samurai. Or it could simply be the influence of the Wu-Tang Clan's embrace of eastern culture, specifically old samurai and kung-fu cinema. Who knows. Either way, if you're going to pick something badass to represent in your music there isn't much more badass than samurai. Also, gave a listen to the album you mentioned, very interesting how it blends in eastern instrumentation with the hard edged guitars, not really for me, but cool nonetheless.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, Dubbagdarrel said:

Things to keep in mind

-No elitists!

"Please make sure you can find your band on Metal Archives first to verify that it's a genuine metal band."

Looking at my last.fm, my most listened to bands since '08 are:

1. Ensiferum (First 4 albums only!)
  2. Epica
  3. Kalmah
  4. Wintersun
  5. Nekrogoblikon

So largely melodic bands with harsh vocals.

3 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

"Please make sure you can find your band on Metal Archives first to verify that it's a genuine metal band."

Looking at my last.fm, my most listened to bands since '08 are:

1. Ensiferum (First 4 albums only!)
  2. Epica
  3. Kalmah
  4. Wintersun
  5. Nekrogoblikon

So largely melodic bands with harsh vocals.

In Flames?

Saw this song live, instant fan!

13 hours ago, Juza said:

Also worth to note that I like this, whatever genre it is. Forgive my ignorance, but is it some subgenre of metal, or punk?

This is good old-fashioned hardcore thrash-punk. The Circle-A is a dead giveaway, but if that wasn't enough, the delicious recorded-in-a-garage-with-somebody's-4-track and then pressed on vinyl with a garbage-can-lid sound is all you need to know. Loved it! Thanks for posting. And they're from my hometown of Chicago, too.

There were tons of bands like this in the '80s, though that scene petered out towards the end of the decade. Nice to see a modern band with somewhat better musicianship picking up the torch. Oldschool punks like me also appreciate how they sneak in a cover of Bloodstains, by Agent Orange, at the end. Dat's going all the way back to 1980! Here's the original, if you're interested;

6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I enjoy some In Flames pre-Reroute to Remain.

I agree with you completely, but there are a couple songs I like from "A Sense of Purpose".

11 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I agree with you completely, but there are a couple songs I like from "A Sense of Purpose".

In Flames is just a shadow of its former glory imo, there's an occasional song that manages to catch my attention such as Where the Dead Ships Dwell, but nothing comes even remotely close to the quality of the old albums. Their last good album was Clayman.

And contrary to popular belief, no, I don't have a problem with bands that change direction if they don't turn into shit afterwards. Bathory changed direction, they still owned. Sodom changed direction after Obsessed by Cruelty, they still own, Emperor changed direction, they're still good, Pestilence changed direction, same story. If it's good, it's good, if it sucks, then it sucks. Simple.