Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

The Doom Community is Brutal! Post Your Favorite Metal Bands/Songs

I'm the guy who doesn't even look much like a metalhead yet secretly enjoys lo-fi underground raw black metal. A cool song by Batilda for a taste:

You can get a pretty good idea of my current tastes in metal from this list I have in RYM for 2019 releases.

3 hours ago, Veinen said:

I'm the guy who doesn't even look much like a metalhead yet secretly enjoys lo-fi underground raw black metal. A cool song by Batilda for a taste:

You can get a pretty good idea of my current tastes in metal from this list I have in RYM for 2019 releases.

Every now and then I'll be in the mood for some Drone metal ,creepy as fuck!

Rewatching The Office and every time the scene in Dwight's car where River Runs Red is playing I'm back listening to Life of Agony

Also that Sniper Culture 7" is cool thank you Juza for posting

I'm not a metalhead, I'm an old-school punk rocker. I actually moved from prog-rock to punk rock back in 1979, and saw my first punk gig at The Showbox in Seattle that same year. The bands were both legendary -- D.O.A, from Vancouver, B. C., and The Refuzors, from Seattle -- although they are legends only to a certain slice of Seattle's Old Scene. 

However, I listen to everything, and will literally listen to anything, and metal is one of my favorite genres. As might be expected, since I adore the raw aggro of punk, the metal I tend to enjoy the most is the punkiest, which is to say, crossover thrash. A lot of crossover thrash bands started as punk bands anyway, and I'm sure everyone here is aware of how punk influenced metal, and metal influenced punk. There are many points of similarity, though there are also warring camps. I'm also very fond of industrial metal, and what I call "High and Mighty" metal, best exemplified by bands with slower, super-heavy riffs like Black Sabbath or Doom bands like Trouble, who emulate Black Sabbath. I'm a big fan of proto-metal bands, especially Blue Cheer and their first two albums released in 1968. A lot of proto-metal was really Heavy Psychedelic Blues, and was heavier than most early metal. Examples of Heavy Psychedelic Blues include Jimi Hendrix, especially Voodoo Child (Slight Return), or Pink Floyd's The Nile Song, or Frijid Pink's version of House of The Rising Sun

Some of the prog-rock bands were pretty heavy, too, especially King Crimson with 21st Century Schizoid Man and Pictures of a City. At the risk of "correlation does not imply causation", I'll go out on a limb and say I hear a heavy King Crimson/Robert Fripp influence in Animals As Leaders, especially the kind of riffs King Crimson used in their Red and Discipine albums, and Fripp's solo track Breathless, included here for comparison, along with Frame by Frame from Discipline.

Edited by Steve D

Everything In Flames did before A Sense of Purpose was gold to me. The old school albums were my favorites but after a while the RtR/StyE/CC trilogy really grew on me and became my favorite era of them. Anders matured as a singer even if he took influence from contemporary alternative metal singers. His old cookie monster vocals annoy me a little bit nowadays. In fact I much prefer Michael's vocals in Lunar Strain.

But guitar work is where In Flames truly shines. It kinda became more simple during RtR and StyE but went back to awesome in Come Clarity.

After Jesper left I lost some interest in the band since in my eyes he was the main guy in IF and he was there from the beginning.

Since I posted no song, now I'm gonna post something from my country of Bulgaria. These guys are friends of mine and do some awesome music. The band is called Yuvigi, named after a title given to the Bulgarian khans. (Actually the right Bulgar word is syubigi, which with synergy with the word khan means "khan of the stars". Yuvigi is the Slavic version of the word.) 

Band members are Panayot Solakov - vocals, bass; Yavor Pachovski - vocals, keyboards; Valentin Monovski - guitar, backing vocals and Spas "Spaz" Genev - drums, percussion. Although Solakov is the official front man of the band, in lots of songs they actually share the lead singing with Pachovski, who usually does growl vocals. You often will hear Monovski's tenor in the background as well - though he never sang the lead of a song due to his voice being frail. Yuvigi are mostly known for singing in Bulgarian. Though their album from 2017, From Black, is in English in hopes of expanding their fan base outside the country. However, they want to be famous of singing in Bulgarian. 

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

[up the punx]

I have pretty much the same tastes, am jealous of punk scene kids, but I'm glad to live at a time where I have easy access to it all.

2 hours ago, unerxai said:

Everything In Flames did before A Sense of Purpose was gold to me. The old school albums were my favorites but after a while the RtR/StyE/CC trilogy really grew on me and became my favorite era of them. Anders matured as a singer even if he took influence from contemporary alternative metal singers. His old cookie monster vocals annoy me a little bit nowadays. In fact I much prefer Michael's vocals in Lunar Strain.

But guitar work is where In Flames truly shines. It kinda became more simple during RtR and StyE but went back to awesome in Come Clarity.

After Jesper left I lost some interest in the band since in my eyes he was the main guy in IF and he was there from the beginning.

In Flames was really really good up until Whoracle, and then they got outpaced by their contemporaries. Dark Tranquility's The Gallery and Hypocrisy's self-titled album blow post Whoracle IF out of the water. Post 2002 IF has like, three good songs to my ears. Blech. 

...On another note, I gotta recommend something lest I waste posting space complaining about a band. 

Presenting the heaviest band I've ever heard, the band that solidified my love of old-school death metal. Bolt Thrower. The first time I heard this song I was blown away. It sounded like the fist of God was coming out of my speakers and hitting me. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

In Flames was really really good up until Whoracle, and then they got outpaced by their contemporaries. Dark Tranquility's The Gallery and Hypocrisy's self-titled album blow post Whoracle IF out of the water. Post 2002 IF has like, three good songs to my ears. Blech. 

...On another note, I gotta recommend something lest I waste posting space complaining about a band. 

Presenting the heaviest band I've ever heard, the band that solidified my love of old-school death metal. Bolt Thrower. The first time I heard this song I was blown away. It sounded like the fist of God was coming out of my speakers and hitting me. 

Bolt Thrower rules!

Have a question here guys.

Arch Enemy which do you prefer?

Angela Gossow or Alissa White-Gluz?

Angela Gossow was part of the only good Arch Enemy album (Doomsday Machine), so I give it to her. 

43 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I don't care, I only care Jeff Loomis is not the lead guitarist! If only Warrel Dane was still alive... 

Seriously, Arch Enemy simply seem to have never realised what beast Loomis is. Had they ever heard him in Nevermore before hiring him? 

7 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

I don't care, I only care Jeff Loomis is not the lead guitarist! If only Warrel Dane was still alive... 

Seriously, Arch Enemy simply seem to have never realised what beast Loomis is. Had they ever heard him in Nevermore before hiring him? 

Loomis is just there for an easy paycheck. Michael Amott is the principal songwriter. 

2 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I have pretty much the same tastes, am jealous of punk scene kids, but I'm glad to live at a time where I have easy access to it all.

Cool! Sometimes I feel very alone as a punker in a scene full of metalheads, so it's nice to have some company.

Now, after opening with refined prog-metal, how about some thunderous crossover thrash from Gang Green? They started as a Boston area punk band in the early '80s, quickly gained notoriety as the fastest band on earth, and by the late '80s were among the pioneers of speed metal and crossover thrash. This one is from their 1997 album Another Case of Brewtality. One minute and ten seconds of raw fury!  

So I mentioned before two bands I came across recently, here's a couple of songs I really like by them -

Spoiler

I think in general what I like most now is technical playing with a sombre tone and great hooks. 

9 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Angela, there's nothing to debate here imo.

She was a FAR superior singer with great range (and also that "witchy" tone). Alissa, while decent, she's just that... decent, with little variety, not a great replacement. Doesn't hold a candle to Angela. She also had a stronger presence on stage.

Speaking of replacement, for starters, Dave Ingram recently returned to Benediction. Woo. Grand Leveler or Rubicon Part 2 incoming :p ?

And speaking of old school dm, for me the definitive sound is the rotten/cavernous/raw, I take it any day than the overly clean sound some bands are going for today. The likes of old Hypocrisy, Grave, Dead Congregation, Bold Thrower, Abhorrence, Crematory, Purtenance, Entombed, Banished/Baphomet, God Macabre, Disma, Grotesque, Merciless, Nunslaughter, Vomitory, Immolation, Incantation, Blood Incantation, Timeghoul, Deicide, and so on. You see where I'm getting.

19 hours ago, spd7693 said:

No one did those doomy sad vocals like Warrel did. Really miss Nevermore

Also sad that Slayer is done even though I had no interest in anything past "Seasons in the Abyss" they are one of my favorite bands ever.

Also THIS!

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

rjalan1.jpg

posting a blessed image of ron jarzombek trying to figure out allan holdsworth's chord-solo charts

rjalan1.jpg

posting a blessed image of ron jarzombek trying to figure out allan holdsworth's chord-solo charts

That's hilarious

On 12/10/2019 at 3:40 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

Loomis is just there for an easy paycheck. Michael Amott is the principal songwriter

John Schaffer is the principal songwriter of Iced Earth, yet again he never played lead guitar. (Except some songs in Horror Show, for instance all the leads in Dracula are by him.) James Hetfield is the main songwriter of Metallica, yet again Kirk Hammett is the lead guitarist. Zacky Vengeance is Avenged Sevenfold's principal songwriter after Rev's death, yet again the lead guitarist is Synyster Gates. And in the earlier Children Of Bodom albums the actual principal composer of the music was Alex Kuoppala, not Alexi Laiho. So it shouldn't be an excuse that in Arch Enemy Michael Ammott writes the music and thus Jeff Loomis plays no solos. I call it "waste of talent". 

3 hours ago, spd7693 said:

John Schaffer is the principal songwriter of Iced Earth, yet again he never played lead guitar. (Except some songs in Horror Show, for instance all the leads in Dracula are by him.) James Hetfield is the main songwriter of Metallica, yet again Kirk Hammett is the lead guitarist. Zacky Vengeance is Avenged Sevenfold's principal songwriter after Rev's death, yet again the lead guitarist is Synyster Gates. And in the earlier Children Of Bodom albums the actual principal composer of the music was Alex Kuoppala, not Alexi Laiho. So it shouldn't be an excuse that in Arch Enemy Michael Ammott writes the music and thus Jeff Loomis plays no solos. I call it "waste of talent". 

Loomis is WAY too good for Arch Enemy

Speaking of Iced Earth: 

I know I've been posting most of their Stu Block stuff lately, but this is because his vocal style is more interesting to me than the one of Matt Barlow. Anyways, both have influence to my singing. Ripper Owens as well. 

I'm a huge fan of Iced Earth's earlier work but at some point (after Horror Show) their music became significantly worse in every regard. I think Matt Barlow was the best vocalist they ever had (Stu Block does nothing for me) but that Night of the Stormrider was still a masterpiece without him, so the main issue is really just the quality of the songs which really went downhill. Dystopia had some okay stuff on it but thats about it, and then the last two albums have just been worse versions of that. 

I know, being kinda negative but this was the band that did Dante's Inferno, which is by far my favourite thrash song ever and one of my favourites in general ever. And I don't even bother listening to anything they've put out since 2001 anymore. 

I find The Glorious Burden their best album. Maybe because of Tim Owens singing? It also features James LoMenzo on bass. As for who is the best, one of my friends, who studies in a conservatory, explained why Stu Block is actually at least technically the best of the three. The explanation is that he has a straight head voice, while Owens and Barlow don't. Personally, I know of no singer in rock with a straight head voice except Block, Rob Halford and Ronnie James Dio. (Myles Kennedy and Freddie Mercury don't count since they're natural tenors.) But it's difficult to discard the classic like Matt Barlow is to Iced Earth. As for the Stuie B era, I actually think Incorruptible was the best of the three. Question of Heaven  taste in the end. 

Edited by spd7693

Scar Symmetry need to release "The Singularity Part 2" already. I need that shit in my life. The last album was their absolute best in my opinion. It's at least my favorite by them. Every single song was good and delivered in it's own way.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

1 hour ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Scar Symmetry need to release "The Singularity Part 2" already. I need that shit in my life. The last album was their absolute best in my opinion. It's at least my favorite by them. Every single song was good and delivered in it's own way.

I haven't heard much post-Christian SS but if it's anything like their earlier work I'm sure it's amazing. I remembering buying Symmetric In Design while in High School and the writing blew me away. 

I haven't heard much post-Christian SS but if it's anything like their earlier work I'm sure it's amazing. I remembering buying Symmetric In Design while in High School and the writing blew me away. 

Give this a try