Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Longsword97

My first WAD: Butthole

The title was my fiance's idea, and doesn't really reflect the levels themselves.

This four level WAD is just me experimenting with Doom Builder And Slade 3's features, just some standard key collecting and switch pushing, with secrets in every level. I tested this in GZDoom and played it with mouse look and jump enabled, however I tried to design it to not require either. These levels can be beaten in about a minute each but I have changed monsters based on difficulty. I want to keep exploring WAD making so any feedback would be very welcome.

The music was downloaded off of VGMusic.com and is credited in the included text file.

Screenshot_Doom_20191206_183301.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191206_183557.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191206_220615.png

Butthole.zip

Edited by Longsword97 : real name visible

Ok so, I played this finished it in about 20 minutes.

I really like playing people's first WADs. This is really good. Just needs more ammo. There was literally not enough ammo to deal with some of the fights. Especially in the final map. There is virtually no ammo in that one. The architecture in this is pretty good at certain points, and I enjoyed playing this.

Good work look forward to seeing more!

2 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Ok so, I played this finished it in about 20 minutes.

I really like playing people's first WADs. This is really good. Just needs more ammo. There was literally not enough ammo to deal with some of the fights. Especially in the final map. There is virtually no ammo in that one. The architecture in this is pretty good at certain points, and I enjoyed playing this.

Good work look forward to seeing more!

Thanks and I'm glad you like it, do you have any tips on the ammo problem? I was afraid of putting too much ammo in there and making it too easy but I guess I under did it lol.

3 hours ago, Longsword97 said:

Thanks and I'm glad you like it, do you have any tips on the ammo problem? I was afraid of putting too much ammo in there and making it too easy but I guess I under did it lol.

Don't worry about the blur in the screen shot. It's just because I was playing it in software render mode. Anyways, as you can see, here I have nothing to deal with all of this, so I ended up just skipping it. If you put some more rockets and cells in this area it would be fun to kill these guys. It's tough to find that balance. I have had problems with it in the past too so I know. You want to balance things in a way where you give the player just enough with a little extra, but not too much to make it too easy.

Screenshot_Doom_20191206_234254.png

I'll give this a try when I'm back on my desktop :) I just wanted to note that your real name is visible in a folder name in one of the screenshots, if that bothers you.

Never thought I'd be playing a map called Butthole, but here we are.

Lets take it from the top.

Map01

It's customary with doortracks (The sidedefs on each side of the door) to mark them as lower unpegged. This means that they won't move with the door when it opens and closes. There are reasons not to do it, but in general it's good practice to do so.

Those grate textures are commonly used as a midtexture - This allows you to see through the bars, and potentially interact with the outside world. Make sure to mark them as impassable to prevent players running through it.

gNcYEQa.png

I took the liberty of doing it in your map to see how it looks - Possibly too open with the other section, but with a bit of height variation I think it might work.

If you have sectors lowering to allow passage, make sure to texture the now visible sidedefs - There was a spot with the red key where there were some HOM effects from non-textured sidedefs.

It looks like the final exit room isn't done right - There is a crushing ceiling, and if you don't keep going to the exit, it won't raise back up. However, if you go through the yellow door (Key in secret) and activate the crusher, it crushes as normal. It's probably 50-50 which way players will go when a ceiling starts coming down.

Map02

Simple hub map - No major breaks or anything like that which I noticed.

Map03

You discovered teleporting monsters! Relatively simple key fetch and then dodge a cyber demon. The downside is I imagine you designed this for continuous play - Apart from the secret, I don't think there was any ammo on the map at all. You spawn in a heap of imps, there are Hell Knights and a cyberdemon. You can afford to give the player some rockets or non-secret plasma.

Interested to see what you come out with next - Hopefully with a new theme next time, and don't get any ideas, Kama Sutra beat you to the nearest bodypart as a map gimmick :P.

Nice name lmao.

I'm downloading your map and going to test it soon and I'm thinking on how I'm gonna deal with the lack of ammo already stated by Dub... Prolly gonna rely on some infighting. Keep in mind that infighting shouldn't necessarily be something to force a player to do, but can be interesting depending on how you implement it.

oh nvm I forgot to post and now I finished the thing.

There is this weird missing texture in the first map.

image.png.f7a0453a7eaa0df2bcf31539cf2bd23f.png

Also I think the barrels in the second level could be placed more strategically to motivate players to use them in their favor.

The rest is stuff that Magicana already said. Could definetly use more ammo. (Maybe just increase the size of the ammo the maps already have? If you double the ammount it might work)

10 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Don't worry about the blur in the screen shot. It's just because I was playing it in software render mode. Anyways, as you can see, here I have nothing to deal with all of this, so I ended up just skipping it. If you put some more rockets and cells in this area it would be fun to kill these guys. It's tough to find that balance. I have had problems with it in the past too so I know. You want to balance things in a way where you give the player just enough with a little extra, but not too much to make it too easy.

Screenshot_Doom_20191206_234254.png

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I make a map like this one again.

9 hours ago, Magicana said:

Never thought I'd be playing a map called Butthole, but here we are.

Lets take it from the top.

Map01

It's customary with doortracks (The sidedefs on each side of the door) to mark them as lower unpegged. This means that they won't move with the door when it opens and closes. There are reasons not to do it, but in general it's good practice to do so.

Those grate textures are commonly used as a midtexture - This allows you to see through the bars, and potentially interact with the outside world. Make sure to mark them as impassable to prevent players running through it.

9 hours ago, Magicana said:

gNcYEQa.png

I took the liberty of doing it in your map to see how it looks - Possibly too open with the other section, but with a bit of height variation I think it might work.

If you have sectors lowering to allow passage, make sure to texture the now visible sidedefs - There was a spot with the red key where there were some HOM effects from non-textured sidedefs.

It looks like the final exit room isn't done right - There is a crushing ceiling, and if you don't keep going to the exit, it won't raise back up. However, if you go through the yellow door (Key in secret) and activate the crusher, it crushes as normal. It's probably 50-50 which way players will go when a ceiling starts coming down.

Map02

Simple hub map - No major breaks or anything like that which I noticed.

Map03

You discovered teleporting monsters! Relatively simple key fetch and then dodge a cyber demon. The downside is I imagine you designed this for continuous play - Apart from the secret, I don't think there was any ammo on the map at all. You spawn in a heap of imps, there are Hell Knights and a cyberdemon. You can afford to give the player some rockets or non-secret plasma.

Interested to see what you come out with next - Hopefully with a new theme next time, and don't get any ideas, Kama Sutra beat you to the nearest bodypart as a map gimmick :P.

Thanks for the video, it was interesting to see how someone other than me goes through these levels. As for the fences, thank you for telling me how to make them transparent because I thought something was wrong with Doom Builder. And the crushing ceiling is a thing I'm still trying to figure out, and I'll be looking out for this problem next time. I'll try to stock my later WADs with more ammo if I intend the player to fight that many monsters, and I wanted to make level 3 end when the Cyberdemon was killed but also couldn't figure out how to make it work. Thank you for everything, and I guess I'll have to get more clever for my next last map gimmick.

9 hours ago, [Vitz!] said:

Nice name lmao.

I'm downloading your map and going to test it soon and I'm thinking on how I'm gonna deal with the lack of ammo already stated by Dub... Prolly gonna rely on some infighting. Keep in mind that infighting shouldn't necessarily be something to force a player to do, but can be interesting depending on how you implement it.

oh nvm I forgot to post and now I finished the thing.

There is this weird missing texture in the first map.

image.png.f7a0453a7eaa0df2bcf31539cf2bd23f.png

Also I think the barrels in the second level could be placed more strategically to motivate players to use them in their favor.

The rest is stuff that Magicana already said. Could definetly use more ammo. (Maybe just increase the size of the ammo the maps already have? If you double the ammount it might work)

Thank you for pointing out that missing texture, and I don't even remember why I placed those barrels like that.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Unless its requested I won't update this WAD, and I'll just keep this advice in mind for my next one.

You very welcome, I know that playing software render and posting a screen shot of you map didn't do it much justice, it's just that all I have is a laptop and it's pretty cheap so it gets bogged down with the openGl features.

Well it was fine. I found the hidden megasphere in the level "It Stinks", but found myself punching imps in "It wont wipe" due to a lack in ammo. It wasn't that bad for a first wad and, dare I say, decent. The face zone was one hell of a time.

15 hours ago, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

Well it was fine. I found the hidden megasphere in the level "It Stinks", but found myself punching imps in "It wont wipe" due to a lack in ammo. It wasn't that bad for a first wad and, dare I say, decent. The face zone was one hell of a time.

lol thank you

That was hecking a m a z i n g. thank you for making that. amazing first map. The only things i didnt like was sometimes these textures would enter the hyperspace glitch and also not enough ammo on the last level. You could have given berserk along with the invincibility and that part would have been fine.

Fun maps. I ran out of ammo only at the very end, so I skipped the Cyberdemon :p 

The final fortress with the FF7 tune was pretty bad ass. The room is a bit too big for the monsters that are inside, but it's metal. I liked it a lot.

Face Zone is probably my favorite Zone of 2019.

I didn't waste my time playing this, so cheers.