Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OfficalGeeDee

My 2nd Map UPDATED 1.4 [looking for critique]

As the title suggests, this is only my 2nd ever map I've created. I'm looking for some feedback on whether it is too easy, too difficult, or unbalanced in any way. Along with any suggested changes I could make. The IWAD is DOOM 2 and the map overwrites MAP01. I used GZDOOM BUILDER to create the map in BOOM format, however I use GZDOOM to play and test. Freelook should be disabled, along with crouching and jumping. If anyone could make any critiques, I'd much appreciate it as I'm looking to continue improving. You are welcome to record it on video too if you want to review it that way (of course I'd like to see the video of it) Thank you for your time. Attatched are some early screenshots.

Screenshot_Doom_20191207_150623.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191207_150711.png

LB_v1_4.zip

Edited by OfficalGeeDee : Updated WAD

Not bad, seems perfectly competent to me, reminiscent of the mid-nineties maybe. Took me around nine minutes to do on UV. The surprise chaingunners are probably your most effective device, and the congested corridor with the hell knights, demons, sergeants and imps soon after the start is tricky to negotiate.

The secret soul sphere and berserk pack are too easy to find - having that much extra health available dilutes the challenge, I feel. Also you need more going on in the warehouse area with the crates - the lighting effects create a scary mood and a feeling that a few nasty surprises are in store, but very little materializes, except for the Baron, who isn't that hard to deal with. You definitely need a few imps hiding in those nooks in between the crates. Maybe that second green armour isn't necessary either...

There's some decent action behind the blue door, but I'm not sure that a couple of HKs behind that door at the back are the right choice - they're very easy to handle with the SSG. A pair of revenants might have been more interesting. And do you really need the rad suit there, when there's only a couple of feet of slime between the player and the switch?

As I said, pretty good fun, but probably some obvious room for improvement. Hope these observations are of some use.

Oh, also I don't know very much about the mechanics of mapping, so maybe this point isn't relevant, but I originally tried the map in GLBoom+, and the first door wouldn't open.

3 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Not bad, seems perfectly competent to me, reminiscent of the mid-nineties maybe. Took me around nine minutes to do on UV. The surprise chaingunners are probably your most effective device, and the congested corridor with the hell knights, demons, sergeants and imps soon after the start is tricky to negotiate.

The secret soul sphere and berserk pack are too easy to find - having that much extra health available dilutes the challenge, I feel. Also you need more going on in the warehouse area with the crates - the lighting effects create a scary mood and a feeling that a few nasty surprises are in store, but very little materializes, except for the Baron, who isn't that hard to deal with. You definitely need a few imps hiding in those nooks in between the crates. Maybe that second green armour isn't necessary either...

There's some decent action behind the blue door, but I'm not sure that a couple of HKs behind that door at the back are the right choice - they're very easy to handle with the SSG. A pair of revenants might have been more interesting. And do you really need the rad suit there, when there's only a couple of feet of slim between the player and the switch?

As I said, pretty good fun, but probably some obvious room for improvement. Hope these observations are of some use.

Oh, also I don't know very much about the mechanics of mapping, so maybe this point isn't relevant, but I originally tried the map in GLBoom+, and the first door wouldn't open.

Thank you for the feedback, I did feel that health was too plentiful. The enemies in the crate maze should have been deaf but I guess they weren’t so they all came up the stairs. I’ll most likely remove the rad suit, I put it there as “decoration” for the environment. As for GLBOOM+ not working, I find that odd as I mapped in BOOM format. Thanks again for the feedback 

Here's a recording of a playthrough. Picture quality seems a bit muddy, and the combination of OBS Screen Recorder and Windows 8.1 always appears to exaggerate my slightly jerky playing style, but hey....

Didn't find a rocket launcher or plasma rifle to go with the ammo - presumably at least one of those are in the secret I failed to find?

Edited by Summer Deep

Pretty straightforward tech base. Could probably do with some of the areas being bigger - Some of the doors were only 64 wide, so only one enemy at a time could come at me.

The dark maze had a lot of potential. I see the enemies were meant to be deaf but weren't - Ideally you'd have some deaf and some not. I also checked around when I heard the monster closet open - That would have been a perfect time to have monsters coming out in the 'maze' to get you!

I have all the same critiques as @Summer Deep

i would recommend throwing couple revenants and/or mancubois in your level and reduce some health items, other than that it's pretty good. 

Here is my gameplay video, hope it's helpful 

(looking at automap) a robot making "fuck you" gesture. this alone makes the map worth trying.

6 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Here's a recording of a playthrough. Picture quality seems a bit muddy, and the combination of OBS Screen Recorder and Windows 8.1 always appears to exaggerate my slightly jerky playing style, but hey....

Didn't find a rocket launcher or plasma rifle to go with the ammo - presumably at least one of those are in the secret I failed to find?

I think I forgot to clarify that this is a map01 it has no plasma or launcher. But it has the annoying, map02 will have them

5 hours ago, Magicana said:

Pretty straightforward tech base. Could probably do with some of the areas being bigger - Some of the doors were only 64 wide, so only one enemy at a time could come at me.

The dark maze had a lot of potential. I see the enemies were meant to be deaf but weren't - Ideally you'd have some deaf and some not. I also checked around when I heard the monster closet open - That would have been a perfect time to have monsters coming out in the 'maze' to get you!

I don’t know how to make them deaf in gzdoom builder, I don’t see it in things settings.

3 hours ago, ketmar said:

(looking at automap) a robot making "fuck you" gesture. this alone makes the map worth trying.

It’s unintentional, but it works

1 hour ago, OfficalGeeDee said:

I don’t know how to make them deaf in gzdoom builder

it should be called "ambush" or something like that there. 'cause they're technically not deaf, they hear you, but don't go to search for you, and attack only when they see you.

8 minutes ago, ketmar said:

it should be called "ambush" or something like that there. 'cause they're technically not deaf, they hear you, but don't go to search for you, and attack only when they see you.

Oh, ok. I’m still used to Doom Builder 2 where “deaf” was an option, I was wondering what “ambush player” was. Thank you, also I’m going to swap out some of the enemies for a better experience :) as well as removing some health pickups. I thought the ammo placement was good, did you think so as well?

54 minutes ago, OfficalGeeDee said:

I thought the ammo placement was good, did you think so as well?

sorry, dunno. i am rarely writing about weapon/ammo balance, because i prefer to play in "power fantasy mode" -- my sourceport has "bdw mod", which replaces pistol with assault rifle, and standard shotgun with more powerful shotgun with reloading, and option to give me more starting ammo (and it also has headshots). sure, this is "not doom" anymore, but this is how i like to play. i totally sux with vanilla weapons and limits anyway. ;-)

Yes, that's a considerable improvement! The additional Barons, Revenants and Mancubus spice things up pretty well. Ammo and health is tighter, as it needed to be, with no option now for chainsawing and punching. Incidentally, the level as it now stands has TWO computer maps, which is presumably an oversight that can be easily rectified.

Strangely, when starting this new version of the map, I found that all my ZDoom controls had been reset to the defaults. No idea what caused this - may in fact be unconnected to the map.

12 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Yes, that's a considerable improvement! The additional Barons, Revenants and Mancubus spice things up pretty well. Ammo and health is tighter, as it needed to be, with no option now for chainsawing and punching. Incidentally, the level as it now stands has TWO computer maps, which is presumably an oversight that can be easily rectified.

Strangely, when starting this new version of the map, I found that all my ZDoom controls had been reset to the defaults. No idea what caused this - may in fact be unconnected to the map.

There’s 2 maps? I must have overlooked that. And I felt that moving the SSG was good, I can do some final touch ups and then move onto the next project.

The map is completed, I have changed the music as well as fixed the issue of having 2 computer maps. I have edited the map name on the intermission screen as well (but not in the automap as I dont know how to do that) Let me know what you think of the final version of the map, and see if you can beat my UVFast Time of 2:45!