Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kain-

Doom II Nightmare: Stuck [no more] on Map 29 Living End

Guys

This level has left my soul in fragments. I'm going for the Doom 2 Platinum Trophy and this is the last level i need to complete but its just ridiculously hard in comparison to the other levels. i heard starting from map 27 and powering up is a good way to finish map29 but knowing me i would somehow fall off a platform and somehow die afterwards... is there a more convinient, less stressful aproach to this level? i searched for any major bugs or glitches to cheese the level but i found  alslmost nothing.. only thing i found was the TAS Coop run of ZeroMaster where he just somehow excelerated across the map, finishing it in mere seconds.

i play solo btw so unless my mother learns how to play doom i'm out of luck ...

help

Edited by Kain-

What are you starting map 29 with? Do you still have a map 28 save you can go back to and improve your starting position with?

Also, down in the blood pit there is a secret passage to a teleporter that gets to you a plasma gun, and when you teleport out of it, a raised platform with 400 plasma ammo, which is invaluable for the rest of the map.

Finally, depending on how good your straferunning technique is, you don't need to lower all three raised platforms to reach the teleporter to the final area.

I'd suggest analyzing a speedrun. Figure out which fast approaches are 'safe' and add to survival rate, and which fast approaches are more as they seem: dangerous and unreliable rushes or tricks (if any). Then assemble a route with mostly the former and perhaps 'safer' versions of the latter if possible. Especially in NM, implementing a 'run' approach can beat normal play, due to the attrition factor.

[Although that is relevant in UV runs too; sometimes things that look dangerous are super consistent, sometimes things that turn up in a run and look safe are fraught with run-killers and make people improperly go 'what's the big deal' when they watch the demo. :P] 

13 hours ago, Horus said:

What are you starting map 29 with? Do you still have a map 28 save you can go back to and improve your starting position with?

Also, down in the blood pit there is a secret passage to a teleporter that gets to you a plasma gun, and when you teleport out of it, a raised platform with 400 plasma ammo, which is invaluable for the rest of the map.

Finally, depending on how good your straferunning technique is, you don't need to lower all three raised platforms to reach the teleporter to the final area.

you cant create savestates in nightmare on console, i start with pistol only. he farthest i could make was in the room up above with cacodemons, pain elementals and a mancubus to top it off

Edited by Kain-

2 hours ago, Kain- said:

you cant create savestates in nightmare on console, i start with pistol only. he farthest i could make was in the room up above with cacodemons, pain elementals and a mancubus to top it off

So you have to complete the map on nightmare pistol start and saveless? Seems like a backward step to me, on Xbox 360 you could play continuous and save on Nightmare

Still, many props for getting this far, doing that is something beyond my abilities!

I suggest checking this sub- forum out and see if you can find a demo that helps you out

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/37-doom-speed-demos/

Nah, the sadists that put these new DOOM and DOOM II ports together created a trophy/achievement that requires you to complete every level on Nightmare in co-op. Now , you can just set up two controllers and go for it alone albeit with half a screen - this is what I'm guessing our broken friend is doing here. The problem is that you can't do a straight run you have to pistol start each level one at a time.

I tried it and quickly discovered I ain't THAT good , it's twisted.

You can play it with up to four of you which may make it easier? I dunno. The fact that he's done them all but one is impressive on its own.

16 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Nah, the sadists that put these new DOOM and DOOM II ports together created a trophy/achievement that requires you to complete every level on Nightmare in co-op. Now , you can just set up two controllers and go for it alone albeit with half a screen - this is what I'm guessing our broken friend is doing here. The problem is that you can't do a straight run you have to pistol start each level one at a time.

I tried it and quickly discovered I ain't THAT good , it's twisted.

You can play it with up to four of you which may make it easier? I dunno. The fact that he's done them all but one is impressive on its own.

actually you keep everything after completing a map, so in theory i could do m27,28 and then m29 but surviving both maps, getting all weapons and ammo i need and arrive full shielded and with full hp in m29 seems impossible for me

i will keep on trying tomorrow for atleast 5+ hours, if i don't manage to destroy my controller that is :) 

something i found 10:06

at 10:06 in Loopers tas speedrun he just flies to the exit area

can someone explain this?

i've got great news !

after what seemed to be an eternity, i grew a pair and accepted the fact that startung mission 29 with a pistol only is almost impossible. so i went and did mission 27 and 28 before approaching m29 and to my surprise.. those levels are totally easy and basicly give free ammo and all weapons. m27 can be tricky since you need to be quick, but mission 28 is a joke. countless times i ran through 28 without taking any damage whatsoever. plus you always start m29 with full bfg ammo, around 80 rockets and full hp and shield (200%)

after around 40 to 50 m29 runs with power ups i was able to  beat mission 29 wich rewarded me with the platinum trophy i longed for and a big smile of happyness and relief. this was a tough journey starting with me blindly chasing my ambitions only to later fall into deep hopelessness. i must thank everyone that told me this is a hard task and a task i must overcome on my own. you made me realize that it was not mission 29 holding me back, it had been me from the very moment i started m29. 

If any of you here are on the same wicked path i once was then please , dont give up. do yourself a favor and start from m27.

here is the run that would finally let me sleep in peace

starts at 1:28:50 

ps: m29 made me hate cacodemons more than chaingunners wow

On 12/10/2019 at 7:20 AM, Kain- said:

at 10:06 in Loopers tas speedrun he just flies to the exit area

can someone explain this?

Thing running?