Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
warman2012

Super Mayhem 17 review

(Posted on the file section, but I am going to also write this here in case others want to read it.)

I'd give this mapset a friggin 0 if I could. This mapset is terrible to its very core. It pulls all sorts of asinine moves to make sure you die at least 3 to 4 times in a level, on HMP at least. I wouldn't dream of playing UV for this mapset, not that there is much of any difference when mapping philosophy is "aggravation central".

Lets list out all the things wrong with this mapset:

1. Ammo and Health starvation.

2. Claustrophobic ambushes stuffed with so many enemies you can barely move around in.

3. Cheap tricks such as a teleporting cyberdemons that teleport every 3 seconds across 3 elevated levels.

4. Archvile abuse.

5. Slaughtermap-esque encounters.

What were these people going for when they made this? Sure, it has colorful Mario graphics and short length. That essentially ends it here. These ppl had to go out of their way to handcraft each way they could send you back to the loading screen. No difficulty or "skill" could possibly fix the deranged minds of these sadists. Map 18 for one, has at the end, a cyberdemon to kill you as you go towards the exit of the level with no way to get out of the cyberdemon's way because its a narrow passage. Map 15 Ziegenhous, I am going to single out as the worst offender. 16 archviles, 55 revenants make up 90% or so of this ridiculous map. This map also has the teleporting cyberdemons I mentioned earlier. Had to MDK these guys as it was too ridiculous to try and kill them conventionally. Map 21 Rainbow Road is another stain with it shoving you into cramped slaughter arena fights; one of these fights has an archvile duo with another monster for cover and poles that can barely block line of sight, not that it matters as the arena is too small to move in and is open to fire from two cyberdemons that dominate the map and can snipe you from long range.

One of the worst mapsets I've played. If savecumming, headache-inducing aggravation in colorful, cheerful environments with fun music is your thing, then check this out. Otherwise, for the normal folks, stay far away from this mapset.

Spoiler

18: You probably saved at the very moment the cyb rounds the bend. So try to get revenant missiles to distract it. Otherwise don't save there and run out earlier.

15: Block the teleport locations so that the cybers fail to teleport, thus roaming free.

21: Fire BFG numerous times. 

5 minutes ago, rdwpa said:
  Hide contents

18: You probably saved at the very moment the cyb rounds the bend. So try to get revenant missiles to distract it. Otherwise don't save there and run out earlier.

15: Block the teleport locations so that the cybers fail to teleport, thus roaming free.

21: Fire BFG numerous times. 

If there was ammo for the BFG, sure. Even then, there's often times too many enemies and not enough space for that to even matter. Oh, and that teleport idea to close off the teleports...how? I did not see anything that could do that. And even if there was, why do the teleport spam in the first place?

Consider trying ITYTD if the slightest hint of difficulty is too much for you.

Beating the original Doom on UV difficulty doesn't mean you're good at this game by today's standards.

The fact that maps like these (most of which aren't even moderately difficult) put you six feet under even on HMP settings means you're the problem here, not the maps.

But hey, don't let anybody stop you from giving a community project a piss poor rating just because you've gotten your ass kicked, just make sure to write another butthurt ramble like the one in the OP, so that your supposed readers know exactly where you're coming from.

Just not vanilla gameplay! 

When I'm playing CSS very often say to whiners, "What are you doing here son? Go play The Sims." :D

Every map has solutions - you just need be observant and look beyond old patterns. Some solutions can include infighting, herding, leading and so on. Skill settings exist for the reasons too. 

Thanks for the humorous post. Your parody of a petulant child with a histrionic personality disorder is spot on.

Hoboy i just tried this mapset and i found that it tame to be compare with HR2. Am i playing it wrong?. 

I thought I was pretty negative when it comes to criticism... But to bash an entire wad that is obviously nowhere near "slaughtermap" encounters, is far fetched. Yes, some of the maps are arguably "not good" compared to the rest. However, that does not mean you should give it a "0/10" when clearly hard work was put into it. Even if the entire wad suffers from bad game play. The design, atmosphere and the textures (That obviously took hours and hours to make) alone would never receive such a rating.

2 hours ago, R1ck said:

Hoboy i just tried this mapset and i found that it tame to be compare with HR2. Am i playing it wrong?. 

I second this as also fine Mayham 17 UV difficulty tame compare to vanilla megawads such as Kama Sutra and Hell Revealed 2. 

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Bender is funneh. Not gonna lie. Even tho this is supposed to be a shot to the ego, dis is funneh. Its Benduh!

Alright, aside from the Bender jab, which was funny, I've got to hash out this obligatory, obvious statement. I play the way I want to, and have gotten a feel for the "camp attitude" around here. I will continue to play the way I want, and criticize the way I see fit. Don't like the way I write about things, don't waste your time responding. These reviews aren't for you. Countering supposed immaturity with equal doses doesn't make me feel butthurt in the slightest. It does, from an action-based standpoint, make you all look butthurt. This is the only response I am going to give on this matter, and will post this one and only response once per review for future reviews for commenters of the "camp attitude."

Edited by warman2012

If you're gonna do more reviews like this for other wads, you should put them all in one thread, like Jabba's reviews.

Edited by Gothic

1 hour ago, warman2012 said:

These reviews aren't for you.

Your "reviews" aren't for anybody else either, because all people get to see there is that these maps ripped your balls off, which is why you bash them in your review in a desperate attempt to somehow salvage whatever is left of your bruised ego.

If this set of maps was actually difficult to the point where even "hey not too rough" puts up a fair bit of a challenge for experienced players, it would be understandable to rate this low on the basis that it's not accessible at all, but even so, there's a difference between "I found this way too hard to enjoy it all" (which is what you didn't write) and "No difficulty or "skill" could possibly fix the deranged minds of these sadists" (which is what you did actually write).

And you know what? It would have been much easier to look past how you were insulting the people who made these maps if it wasn't for how you also call maps "Savescum piles of shit", and act like a total douche when people give you the kind of reaction you yourself invited with your piss poor choice of words in the first place:

image.png.8e3a45460655fd4da6ded2e11a7254e1.png

So don't even try to pretend that you're writing these reviews for anybody but yourself, or that there's any good will behind it when you give your "opinion" on maps that were too hard for you, because you're only going to make yourself look like an idiot.

1 hour ago, warman2012 said:

I play the way I want to, and have gotten a feel for the "camp attitude" around here. 

And yet no acknowledgement to this post:

2 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Hey OP, you're probably gonna mostly get made fun of in this thread, but try not to take it personally. Most doom content is just made by people who've been playing the game for years and need a little bit more challenge to stay interested. If you come back to Super Mayhem 17 in a couple of years, you'll be surprised how much easier it feels.

FWIW, mayhem17 went through a pretty thorough testing phase and had some very sensible people on the dev team, so skill 2 is probably balanced pretty well and maybe worth a shot if skill 3 wasn't your cup of tea. The range of skill in doom players and mappers is pretty huge nowadays, so there's no shame in dropping down a skill level or two.

Or any of the other posts which were not at all "taking jabs" at you, but instead trying to help you think of better strategies or at least put things into perspective. Like why is the only post you've directly responded to a meme and why do you act like every post in here shares the same tone and content to the meme youve responded to?

"Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one. In collaborative work, this kind of criticism is often a valuable tool in raising and maintaining performance standards. Because of the overuse of negative, nagging criticism, some people become defensive even when receiving constructive criticism given in a spirit of good will. Constructive criticism is more likely to be accepted if the criticism is focused on the recipient's work or behavior. That is, personality issues must be avoided as much as is possible. Critical thinking can help identify relevant issues to focus on.

Especially sensitive individuals may adopt a passive, defeated attitude if they view a situation as personal, pervasive, or permanent. Others may adopt an aggressive response. In an online forum lacking face-to-face contact, constructive criticism can be easily misinterpreted and online exchanges often spiral out of control, becoming flamewars. Effective interpersonal communication skills can be helpful to assess the recipient's frame of mind. During initial exchanges or when encountering defensive individuals, effective criticism calls for softer language and inclusion of positive comments. When the recipient strongly identifies with contentious areas, non-offensive criticism becomes challenging."

https://www.definitions.net/definition/CONSTRUCTIVE+CRITICISM

I think there are few things more satisfying to behold than seeing a destructive critic's "review" being utterly nuked in such a beautiful way.

@warman2012 If I play most new megawads/mapsets on UV or HMP in some cases, then I tend to die a lot. So I play on HNTR and if it's slaughter type of wad then I play on ITYTD (love the double ammo).

So just like people have said, play on HNTR or ITYTD and have fun, no one is going to think any less of you. 

4 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Don't like the way I write about things, don't waste your time responding. These reviews aren't for you. 

You're the one who went out of your way to post it here seeking an opinion. It's also hilarious that you are accusing people of using "cheap" strategies like camping when you're the one getting you're shit kicked in by the mapset. 

So, between these two options:

1.  Realize I am not target audience of mapset, accept time wasted and move on.
  2.  Disregard target audience, berate authors and discriminately belittle their hard work.

You considered option two the more appropriate one...?

I understand that from your previous threads, specifically the one that Nine Inch Heels linked, you really don't fancy the degree to which the skill floor/ceiling has risen since 1994. It's not that I blame you (sometimes I too just want to play a non-sweaty Doom map), but the onus is on you to seek those out and play them, which hardly seems unreasonable. You have to realize that you're being genuinely mean to people when you react to their work like this. It's simply not fair to them when they're designing content for a specific audience -- and you happen to not be that audience -- for you to then discredit and smear their work. Constructive criticism is one thing, but implying that the authors' sole intent was aggravation (which is not a stretch from implying that the mapset is a trolling terry wad) offers literally no constructive feedback.

You seemed determined to offer reviews for WADs, given your other thread where you offered your services/interest in doing so. I have no doubt you'll do fine here, and no less find an audience with regards to more casual-oriented mapsets -- but that last part is the important distinction. It's going to require a certain degree of self-control and self-moderation on your part. If a mapset seems ridiculously challenging to the point of unfair, or flat out cruel, you need to (try) and remember that there is a large group of other Doom players who likely relish that kind of gameplay, and that you should strongly consider simply avoiding a review of it, given the high chance you will likely have nothing kind or constructive to say.

It's a big playground with lots to do, and there's something suited for everyone. But not everything is suited for everyone.  

2 hours ago, yorivdood said:

Can i use these maps in another wad?

2 hours ago, yorivdood said:

The text file says i can't.

There you have. Making your own maps doesn't hurt.