Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomhack

GBA Doom (source port running on Game Boy Advance)

On 1/24/2020 at 1:31 AM, Lynnie said:

This is awesome, does it do multiplayer though? That was a nice thing with the GBA ports was the portable tiny multiplayer Doom experience.

Nope. Multiplayer got cut for 3 reasons:

1) The network code would have needed rewriting to use the serial cable.

2) It bloats a lot of the structures so costs memory.

3) I wasn't expecting anyone else to actually play this port!

I'm new to doomworld despite being a big fan of the games probably because I still don't have a PC to play the game, but that makes stumbling upon this all the more joyful because my first playthrough of DOOM was on the GBA and seeing a PC port come to fruition is amazing! Can't wait to get it up and running on my PSPgo's GBA emulator. Amazing work dude!

Do the original maps crash in some places because of the lowered limits?

15 hours ago, VGA said:

Do the original maps crash in some places because of the lowered limits? 

No, i've not found any places where we run into limits. Additionally, the game shouldn't crash if you hit a drawseg/visplane/opening/sprite limit, it will just skip drawing those.

Final Doom does have some levels that crash with out of memory errors but Doom and Doom2 should be ok.

This is absolutely awesome! Congratulations on an incredible job, @Doomhack, and thank you for sharing it with the community.

It's a seriously impressive port, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

15 hours ago, Orchid87 said:

I wonder how good would PS1 run a similar port

I wonder why you bumped a nearly year old thread to say that.

But given PSDoom ran already very well, this would run better. Provided its rendering was PlayStation specific.

11 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I wonder why you bumped a nearly year old thread to say that.

But given PSDoom ran already very well, this would run better. Provided its rendering was PlayStation specific.

Because I don't think that this question is a new thread worthy? Furthermore I find this port amazing and it's crazy that it's not being talked about lately.

Now speaking of a PS1 port, I believe that ram and CD access speed limitation would be a very limiting factor, but given that there are no deadlines in homebrew scene, I wonder what kind of optimizations could people come up with for a potential port.

6 hours ago, Orchid87 said:

Because I don't think that this question is a new thread worthy? Furthermore I find this port amazing and it's crazy that it's not being talked about lately.

But is bumping a better option?

This port has been talked more, however; Chex Quest has been ported to it as a seperate port -

6 hours ago, Orchid87 said:

Now speaking of a PS1 port, I believe that ram and CD access speed limitation would be a very limiting factor, but given that there are no deadlines in homebrew scene, I wonder what kind of optimizations could people come up with for a potential port.

How would porting GBADoom to PSX be a limitation for the RAM? The PSX has vastly more RAM than the GBA does, unless i am not understanding this here.

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

How would porting GBADoom to PSX be a limitation for the RAM? The PSX has vastly more RAM than the GBA does, unless i am not understanding this here.

PSX loads from CD so it has to contain everything on the map in the RAM, while GBA may load from the cartridge on the fly.

Check the official PS1 port. It's map and texture set based on Jaguar version, which is already limited compared to PC. On PSX they went further with removing some textures while also compressing them.

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

But is bumping a better option?

Yes, it is.

Edited by Orchid87

17 hours ago, Orchid87 said:

PSX loads from CD so it has to contain everything on the map in the RAM, while GBA may load from the cartridge on the fly.

How do you think PlayStation Doom did this? You give the answer yourself.

Check the official PS1 port. It's map and texture set based on Jaguar version, which is already limited compared to PC. On PSX they went further with removing some textures while also compressing them.

So what you mean is, how could a PrBoom based port (which is GBADoom) work without sacrificing too much of the penalties that have to get introduced by the platform it targets.

Yes, it is.

There is a special thread called ''Things about Doom you just found out''.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:22 AM, Redneckerz said:

There is a special thread called ''Things about Doom you just found out''.

Your smug is totally uncalled for. 

10 hours ago, Orchid87 said:

Your smug is totally uncalled for. 

Not intentional. I am just pointing towards a thread that's suitable for this.

Bumping this for the following. I would have crafted a separate thread, but the referenced files cannot be linked to here since they are a mixture of  pre-patched ROM's which cannot be distributed, and separate xDelta patches which are actually fine to display, its best to not muddle in this. Nevertheless, the list might be interesting for people to look it up.

Introduction: Ported mapsets for GBADoom !

Because GBADoom is a port of PrBoom, a member of the GBATemp forums, Bazooka_Face, has gone on a adventure to convert several mapsets over to GBADoom, essentially porting them over. There are comments, however:

• Level complexity is reduced
  • Music is remixed: Either chiptunes or converted music to tracked music
  • Only Vanilla mapsets are supported (no DeHacked), and level's cannot be too large, or the target hardware suffers as a result
  • WADS need to be embedded in the ROM, becoming therefore semi-standalone titles
  • The David A Palmer version of Doom needs to be used if one were to patch the ROM
  • You will need a flashcart or SD card to play them on GBA
  • Bazoka_Face has announced not porting more mapsets over, due to lack of time

List of ported/converted mapsets:

There is also a 1 map demo of Doom 64, and Duke Nukem, and a unfinished port of Rowdy Rudy with non functional weapons because of DeHacked.

2 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

Sorry for the quote, but, is there any way of getting them?

Spoiler

I would have crafted a separate thread, but the referenced files cannot be linked to here since they are a mixture of  pre-patched ROM's which cannot be distributed, and separate xDelta patches which are actually fine to display, its best to not muddle in this. Nevertheless, the list might be interesting for people to look it up.