Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Longsword97

I tried to make a spaceship in Doom Builder, How'd I do?

Dude that's really cool! I like the FIREBLU as the jets!

Do you like this I made? I think it may be a little too blocky.

Screenshot_Doom_20191210_152619.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191210_152625.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191210_152640.png

Just now, Dubbagdarrel said:

Dude that's really cool! I like the FIREBLU as the jets!

Do you like this I made?

Screenshot_Doom_20191210_152619.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191210_152625.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191210_152640.png

Dang that's awesome!

3 hours ago, Longsword97 said:

Dang that's awesome!

Thanks but I think yours looks more aerodynamic, even though theres no resistance or drag in space.

40 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Thanks but I think yours looks more aerodynamic, even though theres no resistance or drag in space.

Yours looks more sci-fi, I based mine on the NASA space shuttle. thx tho

You should look up for plutonia 2 map10 for inspiration. It has spaceship and it can rise above the floor. 

1 hour ago, Misty said:

You should look up for plutonia 2 map10 for inspiration. It has spaceship and it can rise above the floor. 

I watched a few people play that level and I didn't see a spaceship, but how would it be able to rise above the floor in the Doom engine?

Use builder to check it or ask in doom editing section, because I don't really know. That spaceship is in start area, just look at map plan. 

PL2_MAP10_map.png 

I'd recommend to replace the surrounding surface with water/acid or whatever flat you prefer as it adds to the impression that there is more below the surface and the vessel appears less flat. That's what i did for TNT Revilution.

BXNBqcbl.png

11 hours ago, Longsword97 said:

I watched a few people play that level and I didn't see a spaceship, but how would it be able to rise above the floor in the Doom engine?

Stop the video any time when you pick the spaceship :P

Here's my own WIP attempt. It still needs more work on the texturing, plus an actual cockpit. Possibly a few additional sectors between the sides and the nacelles too.

Three guesses as to what it's inspired by :).

K68Haom.png

lfsaG3z.png

3 hours ago, Magicana said:

Stop the video any time when you pick the spaceship :P

Oh I see how that would work now, thank you for sharing that.

However, for my WAD my intention is for the ship to be damaged and unable to fly, so I might save this technique for a different WAD.

7 hours ago, tourniquet said:

I'd recommend to replace the surrounding surface with water/acid or whatever flat you prefer as it adds to the impression that there is more below the surface and the vessel appears less flat. That's what i did for TNT Revilution.

BXNBqcbl.png

Really cool, I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks.

How about the escape shuttles from Suspended in Dusk?

Spoiler

yXg4SHM.png

9Ab9R7S.png

SEN4HTN.png

J9kHMcc.png

Looks pretty good, doesn't it? And it's actually just made of custom midtextures. If you cheat and fly to see them from another angle than the horizontal, the illusion is dispelled:

Spoiler

19IRJqB.png

Still, despite this limitation of having to restrict the viewpoints the player can have on it, it's probably the best-looking spaceship in classic Doom. Espi was a texturing wizard.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

How about the escape shuttles from Suspended in Dusk?

Hide contents

yXg4SHM.png

9Ab9R7S.png

SEN4HTN.png

J9kHMcc.png

Looks pretty good, doesn't it? And it's actually just made of custom midtextures. If you cheat and fly to see them from another angle than the horizontal, the illusion is dispelled:

Hide contents

19IRJqB.png

Still, despite this limitation of having to restrict the viewpoints the player can have on it, it's probably the best-looking spaceship in classic Doom. Espi was a texturing wizard.

Wow, that's way better than the texture used in Chex Quest for the spaceship, I'll have to try that.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

Espi was a texturing wizard.

And one who was unique among us, to boot. It's a shame he was taken away from us so soon, but his contributions to the community will never be forgotten.

I had to root around in my maps because I forgot where I made this UFO using some 3d floors. It's not really finished like a lot of other stuff.

Espi really was a texturing wizard. I sometimes think of doing stuff like that by making the textures and then get lazy and just make some wall textures or something. haha.

9uEKpeB.jpg

I like the creativity on display in this thread!

The one I've made is more a flying saucer, but it counts.

UFO.jpg

3 hours ago, Longsword97 said:

Oh I see how that would work now, thank you for sharing that.

However, for my WAD my intention is for the ship to be damaged and unable to fly, so I might save this technique for a different WAD.

You could add some cracks to the spaceship to give it the impression that it's damaged.

I remember playing that Plutonia map for the first time and being pretty taken aback by that one.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

56 minutes ago, [Vitz!] said:

You could add some cracks to the spaceship to give it the impression that it's damaged.

Good idea, I'll def do that.

You should look up for plutonia 2 map10 for inspiration. It has spaceship and it can rise above the floor. ...

Thanks for bringing it up (no pun intended :-)). To this day I am still proud of how well that map turned out.

The rising-trick works with vanilla doom, even though ceilings cannot do such a thing. It works because it is a trick. 

Actually the ship doesn't rise... it's the floors that LOWER! Everything in the scene is carefully crafted not to break the illusion.

BTW: I made some more spaceships in Harmony (map08 and 09), but they don't move :-)

The cacos give it away a little, since they "rise" along with the ship.

Speaking of tricky spaceships, I love those little rockets in Hell to Pay:

oL09prz.png

Their construction is very simple, but it looks cool when you cross a linedef and suddenly you see two or three of these things lifting off in the background. Don't look up too much, though, or you'll ruin the effect.