Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On 1/4/2020 at 2:28 PM, Gokuma said:

As SiFi270 says here, there's still a problem with the id Anthology tnt.wad (though that plutonia.wad is totally good), however merging tnt31.wad into it would fix that.

Thanks for working to make thing right, Sponge.   Good to see someone cares what they're doing.

Here's a post I made over on the Slayers Club with more specifics if you haven't seen it: https://bethesda.net/community/topic/376593/best-correct-version-of-tnt-and-plutonia-wads?language[]=en

(I've been using the name Gokuma for Doom editing since 1997 but someone took the name before me on Bethesda.net.   So if you do see a Gokuma there, that's not me.)

As usual, there is a small war over the goddamn medkits.

25 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

As usual, there is a small war over the goddamn medkits.

Eh, we've had worse here.

More games should just do what Shadow Warrior did and make the kits red with a white cross, actually looks more badass that way.

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

More games should just do what Shadow Warrior did and make the kits red with a white cross, actually looks more badass that way.

Sounds cool but don't forget berserk is a black med kit with a red cross/pill.

A red med kit might confuse some people.

14 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

But then the nation of Switzerland might complain about it infringing on the copyright of their flag. 

Just kidding.   Switzerland isn't full of whining pansies.

Also, it would be slow to adapt to the change I think.

I've got so used to red on white than the opposite would make my head spin initially. But hey, better than the hideous pill :p .

50 minutes ago, Gez said:

Extremely important update:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DMAPINFO

This is the thing that I am the most excited about in these new ports.

So this is essentially a vanilla MAPINFO?  I wonder how easy it would be for the other ports to add support for it.

For those which already have something, mostly trivial, for the others it depends on demo compatibility concerns. The real problems are not the parser but handling the data and acting on it.

1 hour ago, Revenant100 said:

OC, donut steel.

HsoVdFo.png

Uhhhm, no. The point blatantly wasn't to make a format to cover everyone's use case. 

The problem here is that supporting DMAPINFO right now would not really make sense, as we already got stuff like UMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, ZDoom MAPINFO etc.

Except for maybe, episode and map numbers? And maybe "map07special"?

12 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

The problem here is that supporting DMAPINFO right now would not really make sense, as we already got stuff like UMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, ZDoom MAPINFO etc.

Except for maybe, episode and map numbers? And maybe "map07special"?

Actually it would make perfect sense to me; this upcoming release supports 'curated' pwads, so supporting DMAPINFO could lessen the work for the ones porting the content to the official releases. We could potentially see BTSX on the PS4 this way, as at least one episode is properly finished and would just need a DMAPINFO added.

DMAPINFO is based off the ZMAPINFO syntax.

The question remains, will the new Doom ports error out when encountering invalid data in DMAPINFO lumps?

There is no good reason for source ports to support a bespoke lump added to a Doom console port that does not even allow players to load arbitrary WADs. The new console ports are not a "real" source port and any editing "features" it adds are not a "real" Doom editing feature. If someone wants to cargo-cult this into their source port... OK? Why? What good will that ever do to start tying your port to custom features of a commercial non-GPL version controlled by Bethesda?

Whether support makes sense entirely depends on how Bethesda handles it. Will this lump be part of separate files that can be legally played with ports? If so, support would indeed make sense, but replacing existing formats just because this is "official" won't do anything good.

4 hours ago, Linguica said:

There is no good reason for source ports to support a bespoke lump added to a Doom console port that does not even allow players to load arbitrary WADs.

So all this needs is, say, a PC version to come out that allows you to place whatever wads you want into a user directory, and maybe, say, perhaps the Android version could by some luck work the same way with the update?

That sure would be a fascinating setup that would certainly bring more use to DMAPINFO.

All hypothetical of course. 

Correct, but until that happens there's no need to jump the gun. This lump doesn't offer anything the other alternatives do not have.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:12 PM, cybdmn said:

I was tempted to use SLADE, but actually never found the time, and instead played other stuff.

i can send you my modified wad if you want - i didnt appreciate the new sprites either, especially the imps

The madmen did it, that's a pretty extensive update with lots of new things.

Finally they added an option to have the game do aspect ratio correction, toggleable randomized sound pitches, 60fps, and fixed long standing issues that plagued the game since the original Xbox version, such as demo desyncs. As a bonus, the Wolfenstein levels and content was restored too. Honestly, after this update, this has now become the best official remaster of the classics. And they're not stopping here either, more community wads will be added in the future, although they'll have to be manually curated first. Wouldn't be surprised if Perdition's Gate is going to be part of the next batch of addons. Eternal Doom and other classics would be cool too.

Now what I wonder about is whether they'll keep the engine as-is in the future, or add more features. I'm specifically interested if it's ever going to support Boom/MBF wads.

And now the bad news: They made the mistake I had hoped they would not make, on PC it's locked on Bethesda.net... Here's hoping things change in the future and it will come to GOG and Steam too.

Changed Wolfenstein Secret Level: Enemies in the Wolfenstein level have been restored to the original DOS release.

The original textures and enemy audio have been re-added to the level, but with [censored] references removed.

Quick! We need immediate photographic evidence of these alterations so that we can compare these new censored changes to the SNES Wolf 3D port, the GBA Doom 2 port, and the unused Wolf 3D textures found only in the German release of Return to Castle Wolfenstein!

"Fixed an issue from the original DOS release where map objects would not correctly track the player after loading a saved game. This also fixes an occasional crash with loading a save game with an active BFG projectile."

so is this the definitive edition of doom2 now?

24 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

Quick! We need immediate photographic evidence of these alterations so that we can compare these new censored changes to the SNES Wolf 3D port, the GBA Doom 2 port, and the unused Wolf 3D textures found only in the German release of Return to Castle Wolfenstein!

I've checked it out in the Switch version (there's now a proper level warp, yay) and while I got a screenshot, my microSD card isn't cooperating. Swastikas are upside down triangles (perhaps restoring a connection between Wolf3D and ROTT?) and Staatmeister is back with a vengeance. All in all, I think GBA Doom 2 handled it best, but I haven't seen those unused textures you mentioned, and RtCW unfortunately doesn't have a TCRF page. Do you have a link?

On 1/8/2020 at 8:00 AM, Graf Zahl said:

Correct, but until that happens there's no need to jump the gun. This lump doesn't offer anything the other alternatives do not have.

There, its happened now, exactly as I hypothesised. Almost as if what I was actually doing instead was winking really hard. Did you forget who I work for or something? 

I’m on PC. Can I drop my own WAD files on the client to run them?

Actually…yes! Browse to your installation directory and put any WAD files into your Saved Games\id Software\DOOM Classic\WADs folder (or the equivalent folder for DOOM II) and they will be recognized in the Add-ons menu. Note that only WADs compatible with so-called vanilla-DOOM and DOOM II will function at this time.

Incidentally, this also works on Android. You’ll find the folder in Android\Data\com.Bethsoft.DOOM\files\WADs (or com.Bethsoft.DOOMII, if using that game). 

Ah what, the voice was changed? Fascinating.

Well, to my ears it sounds mostly like audio editing. Instead of schutzstaffel he says something like... schutzstaffa??? No idea.

Pretty bad change though, because it makes things less consistent - the line spoken in that voice sounds nothing like the death sound now...

11 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

I'd extract the sound from the WAD file, but these Unity re-releases don't come with WAD files.

Have you tried prying into the "resources.assets" or "resources.resources" or however these files are called with Unity Asset Bundle Extractor?