Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

5 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Also, the Berserk's cross was also recolored.

8dnI3B7.png

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

I wish they had used a darker shade of green with a more similar lightness / saturation to the red they used. The pickups feel fluorescent now.

wtf seriously, I even made versions with a tone more in line with the originals:

On 8/8/2016 at 6:03 PM, Doomkid said:

For those who like the heart option:

PSTRA0.bmp
MEDIA0.bmp
STIMA0.bmp

For those who like the green cross:

PSTRA1.bmp
MEDIA1.bmp
STIMA1.bmp

This is a shit release, 0/5, worst Doom port I've ever played, id software clearly does not care about the fans at all #BoycottDoom

1 hour ago, Baratus II said:

I do wonder if anyone tried NUTS.WAD (just for giggles) on the PC port though?

The port handles NUTS about as well as the original DOS version, which to be clear, is the accurate and intended behavior: A majority of the enemies don't render due to the sprite limit, the game has a high tendency to crash during gameplay, and it's guaranteed to crash on hitting the exit switch. The performance remains fine throughout, though.

MYIK9Nx.png

dzBF81P.png

I've tried the new Windows Doom 2 port on two different systems and both refused to load MAP01 and sort of sat there doing nothing instead. @esselfortium reported the same problem. WTF?

Just bought and tried the Switch release of the first one. It's very good so far! A few suggestions:

-No noclipping cheat? It would be handy if you end up getting softlocked somewhere or want to skip the TNT MAP30 death teleporter maze.

-An ability to show the monster, item and secret counts during gameplay, perhaps on the minimap somewhere?

-On the level select menu, perhaps show the level number in addition to the level name (i.e. E1M4: Command Control)?

1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

Tried to open the doom2_disk from inside the ios app with Slade 3.1.6, no luck.

It's not in the 360 disk format anymore. It's a Unity asset bundle, you'll "need" Unity tools to open it. 

(It's not encrypted or encoded, so if you know what you're doing you could rip it out with a hex editor.) 

Awesome! I was wondering when this update would be out! I wasn't expecting it so soon. I'll try this out in a little bit on my Xbox One (as well as PC).

Question: Was the Map fixed at all, as in, is there a way to zoom in/out and change it from follow only mode to not follow only mode? 

The Doom map has always been an essential tool but it has always been sort of hard to use on the console ports imo. For Doom newcomers who maybe only want to play on console i think that maybe updating or adding a zoom in/out feature might be helpful (unless it's already been done).

Just now, CyberDreams said:

Awesome! I was wondering when this update would be out! I wasn't expecting it so soon. I'll try this out in a little bit on my Xbox One (as well as PC).

Question: Was the Map fixed at all, as in, is there a way to zoom in/out and change it from follow only mode to not follow only mode? 

The Doom map has always been an essential tool but it has always been sort of hard to use on the console ports imo. For Doom newcomers who maybe only want to play on console i think that maybe updating or adding a zoom in/out feature might be helpful (unless it's already been done).

I think this one slipped through the changelog. You should be able to zoom the minimap with the dpad now.

2 hours ago, cybdmn said:

As far as i know it's actually Schutzstaffel which is the meaning of the SS.

They changed it for the new release.

But I'm confused as to why Doom 2's Wolfenstein levels need to be censored, but Wolfenstein Youngblood didn't in Germany?

4 minutes ago, sponge said:

I think this one slipped through the changelog. You should be able to zoom the minimap with the dpad now.

That's great! Thanks for the quick answer :)

2 hours ago, AlexMax said:

Gotta admit, I was excited about this patch, but for another reason in addition to the ones already mentioned - I actually wrote the uncapped implementation for it.

Never thought I would ever see my own name in the credits of my favorite game, let alone a game that was released on all the major consoles.  Shout out to the developers for allowing me that opportunity.

This thought passed my mind and made me smile earlier. Congrats!

If you've always wanted an easy way to play Back To Saturn X local co-op (or frankly any other vanilla mapset), the PC port with Xbox One gamepads ain't a bad option.
image.png.08ce4dd97e9b4f74d7e4d5c0d932cad1.png

So... official split screen on PC has finally arrived. 

GDI, is the PC port really going to be Bethesda.net exclusive?

45 minutes ago, Danfun64 said:

So... official split screen on PC has finally arrived. 

GDI, is the PC port really going to be Bethesda.net exclusive?

Unless someone manages to unbolt the bethesda.net drm to it and yo ho hos their way out I feel bethesda is gonna hogtie this port down to their client.  

5 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Can people with the Doom 3 BFG with Doom and Doom 2 with No Rest for the Living get this update?

Sadly no, but at least you can use this port

14 minutes ago, DoomedFox said:

Unless someone manages to unbolt the bethesda.net drm to it and yo ho hos their way out I feel bethesda is gonna hogtie this port down to their client.   

This isn't guaranteed, Bethesda actively publish their games on Steam, so it's likely more a matter of when rather than if (no I have no information on it). Also discussing warez on the forums isn't a bright idea, especially when we know Bethesda sometimes read it, and we have developers of the port in this very thread.

Just now, Edward850 said:

This isn't guaranteed, Bethesda actively publish their games on Steam. Also discussing warez on the forums isn't a bright idea, especially when we know Bethesda sometimes read it, and we have developers of the point in this very thread.

Sorry about that my bad, I'm just hoping bethesda & co pushes the ports to places like GOG and Steam soon before pepole turn to warez'ing it. This update really just slaps hard and Id pay the money again for pc ports of these. 

Because of this update, I got a physical (yes, I know the classic games use a digital game code) copy of DOOM Slayers Collection on Xbox One imported from the US (it comes with a poster and controller skin) in addition to the trilogy re-release on the Bethesda Launcher.

I am very impressed with these re-releases.  I really appreciate seeing all these features in an official compilation of the classic games:  Full inclusion of Master Levels for DOOM II, Final DOOM, No Rest for the Living, and SIGIL; random pitch variation toggle; always run toggle; uncapped frame rate; and optional level select.  I also like the re-designed menus.  The port developers have done excellent work.

Honestly one really neat thing Bethesda could do is port the PC versions to Steam and those who already own them get them free or at least an even bigger price reduction than $5, but I doubt that Zenimax would play that nicely. Doom 64 is coming to Steam for Doom Eternal pre-orders, so it's not like there isn't gonna be a classic Doom port on there soon.

There's also the awkward fact that the Doom 3 on the consoles is straight up a multiplayer/classic-less BFG Edition, but the Steam and Bethesda.net releases "predate" that and thus don't count for things like the Eternal skin.

Edited by RaikohZX

1 hour ago, RaikohZX said:

Honestly one really neat thing Bethesda could do is port the PC versions to Steam and those who already own them get them free or at least an even bigger price reduction than $5, but I doubt that Zenimax would play that nicely. Doom 64 is coming to Steam for Doom Eternal pre-orders, so it's not like there isn't gonna be a classic Doom port on there soon.

For what it's worth: My Bethesda.net account received free copies of the new PC Doom and Doom II releases! I'm assuming it's because I already owned the classic DOSBox releases through their store. I've also bought the new releases on Switch, but I don't think Bethesda/Zenimax would honor cross-platform purchases like that.

Fingers crossed that the release on Bethesda.net is just the first step for further Classic Doom updates and releases. I'm gonna keep saying it: Figure out some online multiplayer functionality and get it onto GOG and Steam! 💪

The audio edit for the Wolfenstein soldier was a surprise to encounter, I completely forgot that it'd need references removed too. It's a pretty close match to my ears - the pitch on the re-recorded audio is a bit lower than the original, but it works out. Franken-edits are tough enough, let alone trying to match a 25-year-old digital voice recording at 11kHz.

Happy to see the new edited textures for Wolfenstein and Grosse, it's about as much as I could hope for with an old easter egg like this. Also, the new green on the health and berserk packs seems just fine to my eyes. In the berserk pack's case, it's supposed to appear as a fullbright pick-up anyway - it needs to stand out in the dark, so I'd argue that its new "neon" quality actually works in its favor.

Quick and dirty comparison of the new and old packs at different distances, you can see how Doom's distance lighting affects the health pack VS the berserk pack's persistent colors. (from Map 31, Doom II 25th VS Crispy Doom)

Spoiler

Doom2Compare.png.34bd4c02a587dd646bfaefaf674101e8.png

I did encounter a fun bug while transitioning between Wolfenstein and Grosse. After the intermission text had finished and I pressed spacebar to continue, the text disappeared, but the level failed to actually load in and the game became unresponsive to inputs. Couldn't even pull up the menu. I was just stuck on a textless intermission screen, until alt-tabbing out and in eventually made it crash.

I'd like to see the level select menu be expanded too - open it up into a list, rather than having to click through every single level by name individually.

33 minutes ago, Lollie said:

Figure out some online multiplayer functionality and get it onto GOG and Steam!

Since they already support local multiplayer, they would be getting automatically online multiplayer as soon as they released to Steam, since Steam supports a "remote play" feature that allows just that with no extra work.

1 hour ago, Ferk said:

Since they already support local multiplayer, they would be getting automatically online multiplayer as soon as they released to Steam, since Steam supports a "remote play" feature that allows just that with no extra work.

There's also Parsec as well though I'm not sure if it's better or worse in that regard in terms of latency.

On 12/23/2019 at 4:30 AM, Szuran said:

Well crap, how many times will I end up buying this game? It's going to be my... 5th, 6th purchase?

only 6th?

Well, I just installed DOOM II on my Android phone yesterday, and it's not that bad; perhaps the touch controls aren't great but, hey, they are there.
Is it true that this sourceport is based on Unity? I've read it somewhere on Twitter time ago.

I hope they add more content as they say, so even who doesn't know Doom yet as we know it can enjoy the community megawads and stuff.

3 minutes ago, cr0ma said:

Is it true that this sourceport is based on Unity? I've read it somewhere on Twitter time ago.

It's inside a Unity "wrapper" to handle interacting with the console APIs, but the game itself is primarily the original code.

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

It's inside a Unity "wrapper" to handle interacting with the console APIs, but the game itself is primarily the original code. 

Well, sure thing is that Unity is a huge thing even at Bethesda house.