• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Some initial tests of the new PC port:

• Vanilla conveyors work
  • Void glides work
  • Simple linguortal works (portal2.wad in my test)
  • More complex linguortal has visual errors (portal3.wad)
  • Very complex linguortal crashes game instantly (portal5.wad)
  • Iikka special effects tricks work
  • Putting a multi level speedrun as a DEMO1 in a PWAD and letting it run does NOT work (will play the first map and then sit on the intermission screen)
  • Trying to load Remnant as an add-on crashes instantly
  • Typed cheat codes do not work(!!)

6 hours ago, Lollie said:

For what it's worth: My Bethesda.net account received free copies of the new PC Doom and Doom II releases! I'm assuming it's because I already owned the classic DOSBox releases through their store. I've also bought the new releases on Switch, but I don't think Bethesda/Zenimax would honor cross-platform purchases like that.

Do you have a Slayer's Club membership or something? Because I also own both the Steam and Switch versions, and both are linked to my Bethesda account, but I'm not seeing any offer like that anywhere.

8 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Do you have a Slayer's Club membership or something? Because I also own both the Steam and Switch versions, and both are linked to my Bethesda account, but I'm not seeing any offer like that anywhere.

You have to own the original DOS versions on the Bethesda.Net store. Bethesda don't and can't offer cross platform ownership of stuff from other store fronts. Nobody can, that would be logistical madness. 

Oh man. I read that post while I was out, and by the time I got home and actually replied to it, I somehow had it in my head that they explicity mentioned the Steam version. How embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, Allard said:

@sponge Any hope for non-stretched 16:9 widescreen

Already done, they added aspect ratio correction in this update.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Already done, they added aspect ratio correction in this update.

The current aspect ratio options are 16:10 uncorrected and 4:3. No 16:9 option. Or a correct 16:10 option, for that matter.

17 hours ago, Allard said:

The current aspect ratio options are 16:10 uncorrected and 4:3. No 16:9 option. Or a correct 16:10 option, for that matter.

Ah, I misunderstood then.

You said stretched, which made me think that you were unaware that the missing aspect ratio correction was added.

Edited by seed

Playing SIGIL on the Switch version, man the way the MIDI's handled in this release makes these songs in particular sound like I just started playing a SNES game. Also SIGIL + Ultra-Violence + Controller with classic "gotta be aiming right at them" auto aim = hoo boy. It's hardcore for someone that's not hardcore Doom'd in a good while after years of mods.

Do have a bug report, though: deathmatches on add-on maps still use the original map names from whatever game you're playing if applicable when a match ends, whereas cooperative still shows them proper at the results screen. So Baphomet's Demesne in SIGIL will show up as Hangar when a deathmatch completes. Minor, but hey.

Edited by RaikohZX : bug report

Some issues that haven't been brought up yet: The audio is still quite flawed in this port. Either there's no stereo separation or the system is broken. You can't tell where anything is coming from since all sounds are basically playing mono. Nonetheless, there are other times where certain sounds just completely shift to one channel (usually the right channel, in my experience) for no reason, even if the source is right in the center of the player's view.

Another difference in how audio is handled in this port is that sounds coming from a single actor no longer interrupt each other. This is very noticeable with Commandos and the Spider Mastermind as you can now hear the shotgun cock after each shot throughout their continued chaingun fire, whereas the shotgun cock only played once at the end of their firing streak in the original engine. This also makes chainsawing Demons very loud due to the immediate overlapping of numerous pain sounds and chainsaw impacts all within a few seconds time.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the audio right now is that it's completely broken when using the add-on system. Imagine the above problems but worse and with some previously fixed issues returning, like the Super Shotgun's reload sounds being played at the wrong pitch. Take a listen with BTSX running:

The official patch notes includes a list of known issues, and these issues aren't listed as known issues, so it appears we're at an impasse. What should we think? Do you know something we don't? I can only speak as someone who bought and is playing these releases.

There are definitely a bunch of sound issues still, and I've got them logged. Thanks for the report regardless!

On the health pickups: good call to go with differently colored crosses. I feel like the health pickups should've gotten a duller shade of green, it pops out a bit too much. And IMO green doesn't work at all with the berserker pack... could it be changed to, say, yellow? Just for the berserker packs. A dull shade of yellow would work better with dark gray / black than any shade of green ever would, plus it'd work thematically since yellow and green are often paired as opposites, like red and blue, so the berserker would go from being a black medpack to a medpack with fully inverted colors.

Then again, I might be talking out of my rear end, sorry, I'm a bit sleepy.

Speaking of patch notes, they're in the first post of a pinned topic that was created in October, so I figure they just edit it each time there's an update, erasing the old notes and putting the new ones instead. Is there a log of the old notes somewhere?

oh baby, these ports are great now!

i'm glad they finally fixed the aspect ratio, although true 16:9 would be perfect, i'm happy.

now i can play doom in my bed!

I really hope they will make the weapon carousel optional. It feels really slow choosing a weapon and then waiting for it to be equipped instead of how it used to immediately switch.

I didn't have an issue with the original ports playing through them on Switch a few months back (but maybe that's because I'm not an epic Doom gamer quite yet). The music and graphics seemed fine to me. Regardless, I'm loving the silky smoothness of the ports now, though I still wish I could noclip, though that's minor.

I also noticed that all my finished (or final map) saves from before the update had their difficulties reverted to ITYTD despite me finishing them on HMP, though I only found this out through the cool new "?" icon rather than actually opening them. Just an observation, however, since new files seem to have the correct difficulty listed.

54 minutes ago, Castelia said:

I also noticed that all my finished (or final map) saves from before the update had their difficulties reverted to ITYTD despite me finishing them on HMP, though I only found this out through the cool new "?" icon rather than actually opening them. Just an observation, however, since new files seem to have the correct difficulty listed.

So that's why all of my old saves on my XB1 said that i had completed them on ITYTD haha! I knew that i had played Ultimate Doom on an easier difficulty so i could get used to playing classic Doom with a controller (it's been a while) but i didn't think that i played them on that low of a difficulty. It was probably HNTR tbh. Thanks for letting me know that i wasn't wrong. 

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I knew that i had played Ultimate Doom on an easier difficulty so i could get used to playing classic Doom with a controller

At least it's not touchscreen.

I was trying out the Android version of this port and I wish I could use my bluetooth controller.

Doesn't Unity have support in Android for gamepads? It doesn't seem to work.

I tried connecting a keyboard and mouse too but no luck.

Okay, reporting in from the Switch version.

Playing Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia the super shotgun's reload sounds is proper. When I played NRFTL the super shotgun reload is at the wrong pitch.

9 hours ago, Szuran said:

So is it out yet?

Yes?

That's odd.

In NRFTL it's still slowed down but not in the others? Could it actually be a different sound effect?

The Super Shotgun's reload sounds play fine in Plutonia and TNT because the sounds themselves have already been resampled in the IWADs down to 11,025 Hz. NRFTL is not an IWAD, however, and so plays Doom 2's default 22,050 Hz sounds, which as mentioned do not work properly when any add-on is activated, NRFTL included.

9 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

The Super Shotgun's reload sounds play fine in Plutonia and TNT because the sounds themselves have already been resampled in the IWADs down to 11,025 Hz. NRFTL is not an IWAD, however, and so plays Doom 2's default 22,050 Hz sounds, which as mentioned do not work properly when any add-on is activated, NRFTL included.

Ah, right, I forgot about that part in your previous post, oops.

But damn, that broken Chainsaw bug is ear rape.

So, uh, I bought the PS4 versions. I also own D1 and D2 on X360, which work on Xone but don't have the addons. And, well, I don't like this new version at all.

1. I don't like 60 fps. I've never played Doom in 60 fps. It just feels strange to me. I understand some people like it, but well, source ports have tons of customization options and this version doesn't have any. Why exactly?

2. Doom is now 315 MB fat. Why...? The one I have on Xbox 360/One is tiny. If they had to port it through Unity or whatever, then why port it in 120% vanilla state and not add any customization? The only change is the fps, and I'd say it's the most controversial arbitrary change they could've made.

3. Maybe it's because of 60 fps, but compared to 360 port's controls, something's not right. It feels floaty and imprecise, and the 360 version controls just PERFECT. I've sunk dozens of hours into that version, so it's not like I'm not used to console controls (I play Doom on PS1, ffs), and here sometimes I have trouble with walking in a straight line or aiming at a target right before me.

4. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm quite certain I was able to change the size of the game window in the 360 version. In this 10x bigger release I, of course, can't. Youtube seems to agree.

obraz.png.d62ead02d08555bd63ed326e7402379f.png

5. Chainsaw sound is glitched, which you probably know by now. How do you glitch a 25 y.o. game that's relatively simple and has been deconstructed in every possible way dozens of times?

6. I had to sell my soul to Bethesda, create an account, then agree to 20 pages of some contract no one's ever read to just download the goddamn add-ons.

7. Achievements are the most basic thing on consoles and even the 360 port had them, but of course, OF COURSE they didn't make the effort to add them to Sigil, Plutionia and TNT. Well, I guess it's good enough they brought them to the consoles, that's some effort, but it's literally a matter of adding a WAD. Why no achievements, not even for finishing levels or episodes? I know they're useless, but it's a standard, and it's cool to have this badge of ending this version of the game, and the ability to see the percentage of players that did.

8. On 360, it was presented in 4:3 with black bars on the sides, AND THAT'S TOTALLY FINE. The new overlay here is distracting. Also, now there's an option to choose 16:10 widescreen, but judging from the weapon sprite, it's either stretched or pan&scan, where you actually see less.

obraz.png

9. NO ALTERNATE SOUNDTRACK FOR SIGIL? Not even for an additional price? Come on, Bethesda, I believe in your greed.

10. The way they changed the episode and difficulty selection for this release is just mind-boggling. WHY DO IT THIS WAY? Instead of seeing all episodes and choosing one, then seeing all difficulties and choosing one, it's this inconvenient menu where you see all three choices, but just one option at a time. WHY? They had the ready-to-go solution from the 360 version, and from the original for that matter, but they changed stuff for the sake of changing stuff. WHY?

obraz.png.44cad28f958ddaa7ed4d16869d27dead.png

11. Holy crap, saving and loading takes A LOT of time. I mean, it's not like it's 20 seconds, but in the 360 version it's instant. Pause, save, done, you keep playing, you probably do it quicker than it took you to read it. But no, here it's "Pause... ok, save... ... ... done". There's also this short but annoying delay between respawning after dying. IT'S DOOM. HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO MAKE LOADING NOTICEABLE IN DOOM? ON A PLATFORM THAT CAN RUN GODDAMN GOD OF WAR?

It's the most bare-bones, stripped down version of Doom in existence. You can't even customize controls, I think (and you could on the last gen). The presentation - the menus, the side overlay - is just way uglier. And for this kind of re-release of a cult game, you'd think they'd maybe add some cool stuff, like, I don't know, some trivia, history of Doom, making of? Of course not. Even Gearbox, freaking Gearbox, made a brand new episode for DN3D World Tour, and they added the kickass ability to rewind on the fly to any moment of your playthrough instead of saving and reloading. Nothing of such here.

Eh. At least I can play add-ons on console.

Edited by Szuran

14 minutes ago, Szuran said:

10. The way they changed the episode and difficulty selection for this release is just mind-boggling. WHY DO IT THIS WAY? Instead of seeing all episodes and choosing one, then seeing all difficulties and choosing one, it's this inconvenient menu where you see all three choices, but just one option at a time. WHY? They had the ready-to-go solution from the 360 version, and from the original for that matter, but they changed stuff for the sake of changing stuff. WHY?

This is just for add-ons. You are seeing this because you have NRFTL active. When no add-ons are active, it's the same as it always was.

15 minutes ago, Szuran said:

9. NO ALTERNATE SOUNDTRACK FOR SIGIL? Not even for an additional price? Come on, Bethesda, I believe in your greed.

Licensing that would be a legal nightmare.

Besides, Jimmy's soundtrack is way better anyway.

16 minutes ago, Szuran said:

7. Achievements are the most basic thing on consoles and even the 360 port had them, but of course, OF COURSE they didn't make the effort to add them to Sigil, Plutionia and TNT. Well, I guess it's good enough they brought them to the consoles, that's some effort, but it's literally a matter of adding a WAD. Why no achievements, not even for finishing levels or episodes? I know they're useless, but it's a standard, and it's cool to have this badge of ending this version of the game, and the ability to see the percentage of players that did.

Exactly because they are add-ons and are treated as any other add-on WAD would. Making the game treat these particular add-on WADs different compared to any other would probably be too much hassle over trivial stuff.

19 minutes ago, Szuran said:

8. On 360, it was presented in 4:3 with black bars on the sides, AND THAT'S TOTALLY FINE. The new overlay here is distracting. 

I, for one, say the black bars are lazy and ugly and the new overlay is a nice window dressing that's not at all distracting.

20 minutes ago, Szuran said:

Also, now there's an option to choose 16:10 widescreen, but judging from the weapon sprite, it's either stretched or pan&scan, where you actually see less.

Vanilla DOOM ran at 320x200, a 16:10 resolution. The monitors of the era were 4:3, so the artwork was made vertically short so that they'd stretch to normal on 4:3 screens. Most source port take this into account and automatically adjust the way the game is rendered. The 16:10 option here turns off the auto-adjustment and runs it with square pixel aspect ratio.

24 minutes ago, Szuran said:

2. Doom is now 315 MB fat. Why...? The one I have on Xbox 360/One is tiny. If they had to port it through Unity or whatever, then why port it in 120% vanilla state and not add any customization?

It's because of Unity.

24 minutes ago, Szuran said:

The only change is the fps, and I'd say it's the most controversial arbitrary change they could've made.

Most people prefer higher FPS.

49 minutes ago, Szuran said:

So you want them to do paid mods? The thing everyone complained about them trying to do? Because the Buckethead soundtrack ain't free.

2. Doom is now 315 MB fat. Why...? The one I have on Xbox 360/One is tiny. If they had to port it through Unity or whatever, then why port it in 120% vanilla state and not add any customization? The only change is the fps, and I'd say it's the most controversial arbitrary change they could've made.

25 minutes ago, Allard said:

It's because of Unity.

Actually because of the SFX, music and GUS soundfont. All the sound effects were exported for the ease of the sound system, The IWAD music was all rendered out with an actual SC-55 into some OGGs, and the MIDIs in the mods need a soundfont to be played back. Plus you have the credits video and any platform specific objects ontop (like the Xbox One's era.xvd which I believe is part of the hypervisor to run the game?). 

The only change is the fps, and I'd say it's the most controversial arbitrary change they could've made.

This was a change highly demanded, to the point they had to call in outside help in the form of @AlexMax to construct an interpolation solution. Doom originally ran at 35FPS, being designed for 70Hz CRTs, however this has terrible frame pacing with modern 60Hz monitors, hence the complaints and the solution.

Edited by Edward850

Looks like there's yet another complain for unresponsive controls.

I hope this is not similar to what I dread the most in SDL-based ports: Input lag/bad frame interpolation. The noticeable and annoying kind of input lag, which makes precise shots very difficult. If that is the case I'm hoping it can be fixed, because that would be an absolute show stopper for me... (granted, I don't plan on buying this anyway, but still).

An easy alternative would be making capped framerate toggleable. Why do I have a feeling it goes away when it's capped.