Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Congrats to N20, Xaser and Chris Lutz!

Edited by dew

Might be an unrelated question, but do you any of you wonder if id Software will ever replace the ports of Doom 1 and 2 within Doom Eternal with the recent re-release port? My friend and I dislike the fact that the port within Doom Eternal is just the BFG Edition port that has annoying balancing bug fixes and censorship of MAP31 and MAP32 in Doom 2.

These ports have come a long, long way from the sorry state they launched in. They went from the most disappointing ports to the best ports.

6 minutes ago, El Franko said:

Might be an unrelated question, but do you any of you wonder if id Software will ever replace the ports of Doom 1 and 2 within Doom Eternal with the recent re-release port? My friend and I dislike the fact that the port within Doom Eternal is just the BFG Edition port that has annoying balancing bug fixes and censorship of MAP31 and MAP32 in Doom 2.

Surly this isn't the "where's my Swastika" complaint AGAIN?? is it? 

5 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Surly this isn't the "where's my Swastika" complaint AGAIN?? is it? 

No it straight up doesn't have the SS, but badly edited in Zombiemen.

34 minutes ago, El Franko said:

What balancing bug fixes?

16 minutes ago, VGA said:

What balancing bug fixes?

You know, I think I'm suffering from a massive brain fart. I don't know why I added that.

On a serious note, I still would love for the Doom port within Doom Eternal to be the same one as the re-release.

It's great that you guys keep ironing out the kinks and making it a worthy representation of the classics.

Any chance we could get proper 16:9 widescreen next?

Edited by Allard

2 hours ago, famicommander said:

These ports have come a long, long way from the sorry state they launched in. They went from the most disappointing ports to the best ports.

Indeed, with the latest patch, I think we can officially say now that these are the best (modern) official re-releases/ports of classic Doom. Very good job indeed.

I hope the support doesn't end here though, I see this patch doesn't fix long-standing issues such as Nightmare difficulty which sponge did mention he wants to finally fix.

4 hours ago, sponge said:

Hi all! There was a patch that also accompanied this release. Patch notes are here: https://bethesda.net/community/topic/388434/doom-doom-ii-patch-notes

The headlines are new sound, and some minimap additions. I think the Switch sleep mode freeze is finally gone, too, at least I haven't ran into it recently.

And here I was thought I was going crazy about the consecutive sounds thing, I knew the chaingun always sounded a little off to me.

Does anyone else have this problem with some source ports? PrBoom+, Crispy and even Choco, seem to have this issue for me.

33 minutes ago, Swordofdanu said:

Was the lag fixed in the Nerve software ending? 

Which problem is this exactly?

Tangentially related.

Finland in lockdown is getting to me.

zxXQoVh.png

gwwBAqo.png

I wrote a .NET Remote Binary Format reader so I could work out what their metadata structures are. Then I wrote a metadata writer that will deploy WADs to your local install. Experimented a bit, worked out what one or two of the fields actually mean rather than just blindly copying them from examples (there's a field called "type" whose valid values are either "iwad" or the target game).

I'll release it when it can read and parse a standard wad zip file and extract info from the text document. There's also a JSON format I'm creating that will let you define extended details. Also not sure how it will handle getting updated WADs from the server - but since their naming scheme is exclusively numbers and I'm recycling the actual WAD filename, I think we'll be fine here.

Example is just Plutonia with added Chapelle Show JPEGs and references.

Examination of the Bethesda-ized NEIS PWAD reveals that the sky textures in E1 and E3 have been replaced, the included CREDITS lump also being updated to credit a one "Xaser Acheron" for both replacements. Originals on the left, replacements on the right:

ekiH4VC.png

NEIS's custom status bar has additionally been removed from the Bethesda version, the CREDITS lump also accordingly being updated to omit reference to it.

GKdWTUB.png

NEIS's bonus E1M0 map is presumably not intended to be accessible in the port, and a comment in the new DMAPINFO lump appropriately states "// [XA] E1M0 is excluded so NT doesn't suckerpunch me :P".

NEIS's E3M6: Anomaly Retribution is intended to play Sign of Evil as the map's music track since the level's premise is that the player has returned to Doom's E1M8. However, although the proper D_E3M6 MUS file is included in the Bethesda PWAD, it doesn't play in the port and instead just uses the normal On the Hunt music track that normally plays in the E3M6 slot.

The Metallica sector logo in E4M1 has been replaced with a Doom logo.
odn3Mv7.png

NEIS's original E4M6 map has been completely excised from the episode. Instead, the bonus E4M0 takes up its slot in the port. Quoting the unattributed text from the DMAPINFO lump:

// E4M6 doesn't currently work in the Nerve port due to a
// tall-sectors crash, which couldn't be ousted without
// straight-up removing a whole area, so sub in E4M0 instead.

In the Episode 1 ending text screen, the Bethesda version has replaced the quote characters with apostrophes, presumably due to parsing issues in the DMAPINFO lump.

The Bethesda PWAD includes a replacement DEMO4 and a new DEMO5, both in the map E4M4. The replacement DEMO4 is presumably included because the original (also in E4M4) went out of sync. The new DEMO5 just shows the player spinning around wildly, running straight into the lava pit, firing at nothing, and then dying after a few seconds.

There may be other differences abound in the Bethesda-ized version of NEIS, but I'm much too lazy to check.

Edited by Revenant100

55 minutes ago, VGA said:

Which problem is this exactly

WIth the added nerve software ending credits, certain parts really slow down like it can't handle it and the music lags out too. This is on PS4. 

The directional audio has been patched on ps4, it was a bit all over the place. This port is getting pretty nice.

https://www.diffchecker.com/QFl0hk7c

There is a patch named GRAYWIND which has been changed, likely to avoid tutti-frutti artifacts. A patch named STONF has been added. Of course, the TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps have been updated.

The lumps LINEDEFS and SIDEDEFS of E1M3, E4M6 and E3M9 have been modified. Also, SIDEDEFS of E2M2 and E4M0. And LINEDEFS of E2M6. The maps E4M1, as already noticed, and E4M7 seem to have suffered major changes. Or at least, many lumps of them have been altered.

1 hour ago, Revenant100 said:

The new DEMO5 just shows the player spinning around wildly, running straight into the lava pit, firing at nothing, and then dying after a few seconds.

I suspect this is a Xaser shenanigan.

Nice update. Now it's possible to see the weird things like the impossible 22 secrets in E4M3 lol.

Spoiler

unknown.png.9c0a76187e56475e53ba7b1aa5e2b215.png

Joking aside, I guess we're not getting a fix for the sector wiggle any time soon.

The summary of NEIS changes looks correct, our engine doesn't have a fix for tutti-fruiti and medusa effects, so we just merge the patches down. I think the E3M6 music bug is an unintentional regression.

7 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

Joking aside, I guess we're not getting a fix for the sector wiggle any time soon.

I've had this on my list of wanted fixes, but renderer changes like that are way outside of my knowledge wheelhouse so I definitely can't promise anything there, unfortunately. I'm a big ol' dumby when it comes to math, especially the archaic inner-workings of the Doom renderer.

No End In Sight, nice.

Might as well copy and paste here, the list of what most people think are good suggestions for potential addons:

* Memento Mori 1 and 2

* Hell Revealed 1 and 2 (minus the ROTT music which was a seperate file and the Star Trek image i think)

* Requiem

* Icarus: Alien Vanguard

* Most TNT/Plutonia fan sequels (Plut 2, Plut Revisited and TNT Revilution)

* Back to Saturn X series

* The Becoming

* Doom The Way id Did series

* Base Ganymede

* Fava Beans

* Scythe 1 except some of its songs

* Cleimos 1 and 2

* SkePLand

* The Warlock's Hearth

* Equinox (without its soundtrack or sound replacement, although the HUD should be safe and it's cool looking)

* Revolution! with its MIDI pack that was originally optional

* Sudtic, Teutic and maybe Obtic (this one requires Dehacked)

* Maybe most of Eternal Doom

* Dystopia 3, Dystopia 301 and the one that's just "Dystopia"

* DWANGO and/or something related

* Switcheroom

* CH Retro Episode

2 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Examination of the Bethesda-ized NEIS PWAD reveals that the sky textures in E1 and E3 have been replaced, the included CREDITS lump also being updated to credit a one "Xaser Acheron" for both replacements. Originals on the left, replacements on the right:

ekiH4VC.png

The Metallica sector logo in E4M1 has been replaced with a Doom logo.
odn3Mv7.png

Kind of weird those sky textures were replaced. was there a reason for it? (i can see if the artist of the originals just wasn't present, because i don't know much of the history behind this wad)

The Metallica logo bit makes sense, obviously. (unlike the NIN logo in E4M1, id never did a collab with Metallica)

I love the secret/enemy/item counter symbols in the automap, they display some personality and add to some visual contribution for the player.

I'm guessing adding the older WADs might be problematic due to needing to get permission from each and every map author, hence why the first two additions were relatively new.

Not sure about the brown sky but the original E2 sky is using the red sky from Hexen.

Some more recommendations:

* Alien Vendetta (has some Hexen textures)
* Number One Kill: The Next Generation
* Operation BIOWAR (has some Hexen textures)
* Doom 2 Reloaded
* The Darkening
* The Darkening Episode 2
* The Classic Episode
* Dawn of the Dead

* Fava Beans
* The Ultimate NMD
* Vengeance (pretty obscure full Ultimate Doom replacement might be tricky)

Stuff with Hexen textures would need some retexturing or editing the textures into 'new' legally seperate ones.

59 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Stuff with Hexen textures would need some retexturing or editing the textures into 'new' legally seperate ones.

Eternal Doom is a really big offender in that regard.

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

9 minutes ago, SteelPH said:

Eternal Doom is a really big offender in that regard.

Funny thing. If Zauberer had a complete texture replacement, perhaps that could have been used... but AFAIK Zauberer isn't even alpha quality?

Edited by Danfun64