Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Relevant timestamp for the link above appears to be 47:10. I'm still not sure at what point they bring up Nerve though.

The good news is, it appears to be using @Jimmy's soundtrack, so congratulations again Jimmy!

EDIT: Medikits and stimpacks have a green cross now it seems? I would have gone with blue to match both Doom 4's HUD and the upcoming D64 remake.

11 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Relevant timestamp for the link above appears to be 47:10. I'm still not sure at what point they bring up Nerve though.

They acknowledge it at 51:46, the exact words being, "There might even be No Rest for the Living, 9 levels just for Doom 2 only. There might be a lot in there." That doesn't seem to be entirely solid confirmation, but maybe the UI shown above with the add-ons is, in fact, very poor and doesn't indicate additional entries lower in the list with a scroll bar of some sort.

And if that's the case, I think we can safely say "Hell 2 Pay Confirmed!"

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

The good news is, it appears to be using @Jimmy's soundtrack, so congratulations again Jimmy!

Not to throw shade at Jimmy, but it would be a shame if they don't use the original soundtrack made specifically for it.

2 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

You can keep your CG blobs and blades. I'll wait for something with a little more Kick.

kickdmt.png

Maybe they'll change it to Mighty Rain Attack to reflect Kick being long discontinued.

5 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

That would actually be extremely cool.

So my expectation was actually right? Did I slip into an alternate universe where the cool stuff I dream about actually becomes reality? Damn.

I did expect Final Doom and NRFTL to be added at a later time due to the ports being rushed back when they first came out. This is awesome, so now we have all classic Doom games and their expansions available on the most important platforms.

Now the question is - how did they settle on Sigil (which is basically official now too)? And with Jimmy's music no less?

5 minutes ago, seed said:

Now the question is - how did they settle on Sigil (which is basically official now too)? And with Jimmy's music no less?

I'd imagine by noting that Sigil is popular, asking Romero, and him saying "cool" or some other kind of word of agreement.

3 minutes ago, seed said:

So my expectation was actually right? Did I slip into an alternate universe where the cool stuff I dream about actually becomes reality? Damn.

I did expect Final Doom and NRFTL to be added at a later time due to the ports being rushed back when they first came out. This is awesome, so now we have all classic Doom games and their expansions available on the most important platforms.

It's free downloadable content so it's likely not too complex for rights management or the like i'd assume. By all means, they could potentially ask the community for being able to upload vanilla-compatible mapsets on there.

If they don't, that's where the problems lie.

3 minutes ago, [Vitz!] said:

Call me when they release an update that lets you play custom wads

That's exactly what this update is. No they can't let you play whatever you want on consoles (they have to curate it somehow), but it's still custom WADs you can download.

46 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That's exactly what this update is. No they can't let you play whatever you want on consoles (they have to curate it somehow), but it's still custom WADs you can download.

I meant getting whatever wad I find on doomworld and playing it. So yeah. Call me when they do that.

Oh wait they can't do it on consoles? Too bad. I'm gonna stick to PC, thank you.

I wonder, which version is shown in the video. Because, if you look carefullly, you can see, that the menu buttons show, Space, Q and, Esc. Is that a PC version, or does any of the console ports supports an keyboard?

20 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

I wonder, which version is shown in the video. Because, if you look carefullly, you can see, that the menu buttons show, Space, Q and, Esc. Is that a PC version, or does any of the console ports supports an keyboard?

Xbox One received support for mouse and keyboard a while ago actually, it just comes down to whether developers want to support it in their games, so it is a possibility.

2 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

EDIT: Medikits and stimpacks have a green cross now it seems? I would have gone with blue to match both Doom 4's HUD and the upcoming D64 remake.

There’s actually been a small but consistent push in the community to switch to green crosses as they are the international standard depiction of “health” on the battlefield. A Red Cross is a sign of neutrality on the battlefield and is a protected symbol under the Geneva convention.

All the classic Doom rereleases since 2006 have used that ugly pill sprite, which is universally detested (hilariously). Literally everyone in the community who gave a rats ass thought a green cross would be better as it’s more universal these days, though I personally am a fan of the heart symbol which is more arcadey. I’ve been using medikits, stimpacks and berserks with the cute little heart since 2016 and I have to say it has increased the quality of the wads dramatically! (lol)

Citations incoming:

Here are my variants, the Most Legit if I do say so myself:

On 8/8/2016 at 6:03 PM, Doomkid said:

For those who like the heart option:

PSTRA0.bmp
MEDIA0.bmp
STIMA0.bmp

For those who like the green cross:

PSTRA1.bmp
MEDIA1.bmp
STIMA1.bmp

tl;dr The use of green crosses was a mix of Geneva Convention compliance and listening to the community!

How are they making SIGIL official if it's a PWAD?

id is doing it the same way they made TNT and Plutonia official I assume: by selling them. It doesn't get much more official than that! Of course, it's still going to be free to download for PC users, but this will be really great for console players.

I'm glad I'll have something to suggest when console players ask about maps that are decent to deathmatch on. Other than E1M1 and Map01/Map07 of Doom2, there were never any good deathmatch maps to suggest. I still see people asking in the Doom reddit about what maps are good for deathmatch to this very day and it's always a shame to tell them there's only 3. The Sigil deathmatch maps aren't great (Sorry Mr. Romero, you're still great at SP designs!!) but they're a hell of a lot better than the boring slog that is deathmatch on iwad maps.

18 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

id is doing it the same way they made TNT and Plutonia official I assume: by selling them.

The addons are free. 

27 minutes ago, Nevander said:

How are they making SIGIL official if it's a PWAD?

By loading it as a PWAD, Doom's supported that since 1993. Yes, the port was already capable of supporting it, that's how Master Levels works and how NRFTL worked on XBLA/BFG.

Edited by Edward850

2 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Sigil was made for modern engines.

Sigil was made for Limit Removing, to which the current port is already.

It's official! Sigil is now canon! Er... at least as canon as TNT Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment.