Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Wow, it's great to see non-official community content start to become available as add-ons in the new official ports! Just finished SIGIL and am now starting and enjoying playing through Double Impact right now 😊

Thank you @sponge and team for putting together the best official ports for the Classic Dooms. Thank you for continuing to hear feedback (even when it's not presented constructively) and improving on the new releases. Playing on the Switch is by far my preferred way to get my Doom fix these days and having all the official add-ons plus now the beginning of community add-ons is just fantastic. 

👨‍🔧 P.S. Bug Fix request - The chainsaw fire sound is layered really strangely (at least on Switch) to the point where it almost sounds like the sound is being triggered multiple times over one another, causing the chainsaw to be extremely loud and ultimately glitchy sounding.

Hey lads.

so i recently spent 2 months playing through and completing Plutonia on IOS (on UV, and did all the bonus maps).

Here are some of the findings in terms of glitch's and bugs.

• Standing under roofs can cause a moving texture/hall of mirrors effect
  • Maps like Go 2 It cause many slowdowns, and monsters can become visible through walls if there are too many on screen (cyberdemons are visible)
  • Too many audio files being played cause them to be outputted to the wrong channels (much like a flanger effect, cant decide if its playing out of the left or right channel.
  • Many monsters (after a period) will sometimes just stop working or get stuck, this is noticeable after you save or load, but can happen if you wander too far away.
  • Monsters have a infinitely tall box, but splash damage sometimes does not.
  • Pain elements do not have a limit on souls (it seems), this causes major frame drops in some cases
  • Controller disconnect on XBOX can cause logout and you to return to the menu
  • Controls on IOS can become unresponsive if you use 3 fingers (left right and press in the middle)
  • IOS lacks Automap Zoom

If i find any more i will post here, and will try to find some way to record some of these issues

PLUTONIA.jpg

4 hours ago, Hungry353 said:
  • Many monsters (after a period) will sometimes just stop working or get stuck, this is noticeable after you save or load, but can happen if you wander too far away.
  • Monsters have a infinitely tall box, but splash damage sometimes does not.
  • Pain elements do not have a limit on souls (it seems), this causes major frame drops in some cases

These three issues don't scan. This is a demo compatible port, which means the original behaviour has to be intact for it to work. (except for the saving and loading part, but surprise that's also original game behaviour. :V)

I can confirm the souls limit is intact (The Pit in Doom2 on UV makes Pain Elementals initially useless). And if explosions weren't infinitely tall, Map30 would play very differently. 

4 hours ago, Hungry353 said:

Standing under roofs can cause a moving texture/hall of mirrors effect

Also this isn't quite as descriptive as you'd initially think. Doom is nothing but roofs, you can never not have a ceiling. Even the sky texture is a ceiling.

Edited by Edward850

On 2/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, Edward850 said:

Also this isn't quite as descriptive as you'd initially think. Doom is nothing but roofs, you can never not have a ceiling. Even the sky texture is a ceiling.

Frankly, we are never truly "outside" in a video game.

Double Impact is bloody hard. It makes you manage recourses more than SIGIL does and I thought that was tough. 

I think I found a mistake in how the E1M4 song was recorded. The part with the harmonized riff starts earlier than it should. In the original song there's a full bar of silence.

Ironically this one song loops normally in the new port.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:38 AM, Eurisko said:

Double Impact is bloody hard. It makes you manage recourses more than SIGIL does and I thought that was tough. 

Really? I found this one much simpler than Sigil. Yeah, they’re stingy with power weapon ammo, but goodness gracious is there ever a lot of shells.

On 2/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, unerxai said:

I think I found a mistake in how the E1M4 song was recorded. The part with the harmonized riff starts earlier than it should. In the original song there's a full bar of silence.

Ironically this one song loops normally in the new port.

Thanks for the report! Just to confirm, are you saying it sounds like my Sound Canvas recording of E1M4 might've have one of the intro bars chopped off? 

Not the intro but this part:

E1M4 song

Around 1:23 there comes a silence and then the harmonized riff starts. In the new port it's like it starts right away.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

Really? I found this one much simpler than Sigil. Yeah, they’re stingy with power weapon ammo, but goodness gracious is there ever a lot of shells.

The last level is pretty insane compared to the rest of the episode.

8 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

The last level is pretty insane compared to the rest of the episode.

That’s true. That level is straight nuts. It’s kinda like they took Hunted and dialed it up to eleven. Caught me completely off-guard.

3 hours ago, unerxai said:

Not the intro but this part:

E1M4 song

Around 1:23 there comes a silence and then the harmonized riff starts. In the new port it's like it starts right away.

Can confirm. Here's the relevant clip from the new port. (MP3 in a zip, the forum doesn't like mp3s apparently)

E1M4-bug.zip

10 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

I've found them both difficult, (I am a rather average Doom player, I just enjoy the games a lot) SIGIL kicked my ass. 'Nightmare Underworld' was an absolute bastard of a level, Cacodemons galore!

I wonder: what if some WADs use assets and sprites that are part of Doom but only from pre-release/alpha/beta versions of Doom, old prototypes or assets that were originally meant for the games, but weren't in the final release?

Like the stuff Romero released once where he shows how some sprites were made, unused sprites etc or what you can see in Doom articles from Cutting Room Floor.

Because it's technically part of Doom or at least its development history and isn't like using Duke Nukem 3D or Heretic assets.

If it belongs to Id, there should be no problems. Things using Wolf 3D or Quake textures would probably be okay.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:49 PM, Lollie said:

Can confirm. Here's the relevant clip from the new port. (MP3 in a zip, the forum doesn't like mp3s apparently)

E1M4-bug.zip

Yep that one.

Also I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the automap lacks follow mode and the marker system, which are features that have been around since vanilla.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:14 AM, Ralphis said:

I rewrote it entirely to get rid of the Doom 64 remnants. I also changed the arpeggio to not match it

Is there a reason for it?

Because considering the official 64 port and my previous post about official Doom related textures, that seems a bit strange.

Meaning even "official" stuff could be changed somehow.

On a different topic, i wonder about WADs that have different sprites for level props, pick ups, weapons, enemies, the status bar itself and even the player's face.

Basically, new sprites that aren't sky or wall/floor/ceiling textures.

I also wonder about different sounds like for some enemies or weapons.

Like in Double Impact, Doomguy's face could have been swapped for Eisen's to fit the intermission screens but then again, this IS the series where the main character's gloves are black in the original cover, but brown/tanned/almost the same color as his skin for the weapon/fist sprites.

Maybe just an edit with an eyepatch and hat.

Pretty sure iD doesn't own the rights to Doom 64. Really, a "better safe than sorry" sort of situation. The Eisen addition was late (and very awesome, thanks to Sponge and iD for making this happen), but we did have a laugh that we should've added the eyepatch to the HUD after the release.

First, awesome job on the ports and the updates!  It's nice to see an old classic get so much love! :)

Second, since we have a couple of devs posting here, I thought I'd share some minors bugs I ran into on the Xbox One X.

The first is a screenshot of overlapping text that appeared when I reached the secret exit in Express Elevator to Hell, Master Level 20.  I play in 720p so that could be why.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgASZXyGwrJAfmJTaHm44ASRp7U?e=atIRww

The second is a video of the save menu.  Note that the save file for Bad Dream, Master Level 21, shows up as "ML 20".  I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that both maps share the same WAD.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgASZXyGwrJAgQBYFB3NaHvGRegf?e=eGnUfa

The third I was not able to record a video of but it occurs frequently enough to be reproducible.  The menu selection / pistol firing sound will sometimes play repeatedly after loading a save game.  (You can stop it by pressing the A button.)  Just play on UV difficulty and save scum like mad.  You'll run into it sooner or later.

Possibly related is that the game does not always pause after performing a quick load.  The pause menu is still present and navigable but gameplay continues unabated.  (Revenants are jerks.)

Does make me worry just how small the pool of eligible wads for the curated truly is, if referencing another id game's music is out, even when its not a direct rip.

4 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Does make me worry just how small the pool of eligible wads for the curated truly is, if referencing another id game's music is out, even when its not a direct rip.

In the case of music, it'd probably be as simple as deleting the offending tracks from the wads.

4 hours ago, Devalaous said:

If @Ed were cool with his music being used, I'd be totally cool with The Becoming's inclusion. Only existing DOOM graphics used are text for the titlepic (the rest of which I created myself) and level titles. No idea if the Nine Inch Nails references that are the map names would be a problem? It's trivial to come up with more.

Also playing my own shit on my PS4 would be amaze.

8 hours ago, KainXavier said:

First, awesome job on the ports and the updates!  It's nice to see an old classic get so much love! :)

Thanks for the reports! I've ran into the menu one but have had a hard time tracking that one down. For quick load, the intent is the game unpauses after quick load (it's intended to be as quick as possible for those wanting to save scum heh) so the menu staying up is the issue here.

7 hours ago, Devalaous said:

In order to license WADs, we have to be able to contact all the original authors, and they must have made all the assets themselves. Heretic, Hexen are often seen in people's works, but because id only published them, our rights to use assets outside of the original game are a little less clear, so we just avoid that situation entirely. Doom 64 is similar. Wolf (except '09), Rage, Quake, and the other Doom games should be fine. They must also be vanilla or limits removing (although some still crash) without DeHackEd. That one has been actually the tricky part, given the amount of awesome Boom compatible levels, and levels that have a light amount of, but still critical DEH patch, but I'm pretty happy with what's we've at least got planned.

16 hours ago, Diabolución said:

@Ralphis

Do you still have the original MIDIs composed for Double Impact, without the lossy conversion to MUS? If so, could you share them?

I don't think I converted them to MUS in our WAD, and they might've been MIDI in the original release too.

So as I thought, the rest of the Master Levels authors work (due to the deaths of two of them), and early classic megawads like the other TeamTNT megwads will be ineligible. Ah well. I understand how tight legal stuff gets (Have worked on the game Terraria and had lots of this stuff explained to me. I renamed a reference to Mothra specifically to avoid such things :D)

48 minutes ago, sponge said:

They might've been MIDI in the original release too.

In the original release, D_E1M2 and D_VICTOR are MUS. D_E1M1 and D_E1M8 (both the original and the curated version) are MIDIs. The rest of tracks are reused from Doom. Obviously, I am wondering if the original MIDIs of D_E1M2 and D_VICTOR are still a thing.

Anyway, I feel like I have should sent a private message instead of posting in this thread.

45 minutes ago, sponge said:

In order to license WADs, we have to be able to contact all the original authors

This has got to be the biggest limiting factor for picking out these wads. This basically means that only one man wads or wads made by small teams will make the cut, as from what I've experienced even community projects that come together quite fast will have at least one member who is no longer active. I bet there are only a handful of wads from pre 2010 that you guys could possibly get.

I remember watching both the Bethesda FR and Slayers Club stream of the Doom 64 port and hearing that id owns the game except for the music, which still belongs to Aubrey Hodges.

I wonder what happened to him.

Kind of a shame because it can block some potential stuff to happen, like a player skin based off the Doom 64 armor or something like that.

Maybe it's because i'm used to things like MetaDoom or crossover mods that just happen to have that freedom but i just hate these awkward trademark laws that put games in limbo.