Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

There are patch collections that let you change from one IWAD version to another.

And there's still GOG.

But given the screenshot, I figure the original DOS versions will still be there, probably unchanged.

BYFYHkl.png

They can easily have a separate set of IWADs for the new engine.

I was hopeful, but I wasn't sure if this would actually happen! Very tempted to try out Steam's remote co-op feature with this when it drops.

If this shows up on Steam, I hope they're gonna bring it to GOG as well, provided they don't mess with Steam's and GOG's original DOS versions.

46 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

provided they don't mess with Steam's and GOG's original DOS versions.

That would be erasing game history, so i hope those versions still exist.

4 hours ago, whatup876 said:

That would be erasing game history

Unless they personally go to your house and degauss your hard-drives, no it absolutely isn't. Besides, id Software has been only selling you a later version of Doom with Nazi imagery removed anyway, yet I don't see you complaining they no longer sell nor provide you with Doom v1.2.

Ultimately the choice comes down to whether or not they chose to update the DOS version of Doom2 on Steam so they can sell it in Germany, of which it currently isn't because its stuck on v1.9.

Edited by Edward850

12 hours ago, cybdmn said:

Doom2 with the Wolf3D stuff isn't a problem in germany anymore.

And yet Doom2 v1.9 isn't being sold in Germany, so clearly that's not entirely true. 

Removing original versions of games is something that I cannot stand. When a game has a remaster or rerelease, typically they pull the original product from Steam and make it almost impossible to obtain the original.

These days the original is usually the better game too. Remasters usually tend to end up with new problems such as crashing, performance issues, too many changes, and sometimes downgrades in gameplay or UI features. This is a backstep every time.

In the case of Doom, we can still get the original DOS versions. But one day we won't be able to. That is going to be bad.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:17 AM, SteelPH said:

Seems this version is coming to Steam as well.

I started Doom II from Steam but i have not been able to reproduce that screenshot.

Greetings

Funduke

14 hours ago, Edward850 said:

And yet Doom2 v1.9 isn't being sold in Germany, so clearly that's not entirely true. 

Really? What version of Doom II do you think they sell at Steam and GOG? Thats still v1.9 with the Wolfenstein 3-D stuff running on DOSBox.

What they didn't sold in germany was a boxed copy of v1.9, because the censored german version was 1.666 and was put on the index anyway. And they didn't sold the unmodified XBLA version of the game in germany, but that was long before the ban of wolfenstein was lifted, and the v1.9 version of Doom II was taken from the list of indexed stuff.

15 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

Really? What version of Doom II do you think they sell at Steam and GOG? Thats still v1.9 with the Wolfenstein 3-D stuff running on DOSBox.

What they didn't sold in germany was a boxed copy of v1.9, because the censored german version was 1.666 and was put on the index anyway.

And how is this relevant? The point is that that version of the game is region locked and still not available there afaik.

It is relevant because it is NOT region locked anymore, at least not at GOG.

I feel like there are less and less add-ons every time I look at the add-on page for the Bethesda port. the last add-on was Deathless, which I loved, but I want more. In my opinion, TNT was dumb after level 20, Plutonia didn't feel like DooM to me, and No End In Sight just didn't intrigue me since I felt there was no learning curve to it. I get that they have to go through the creators to ask for it, but how hard is that? 

Bethesda: "Hey, would you like to have your WAD as an official add-on to DOOM?"

WAD Maker: "I don't know, what's in it for me?"

Bethesda: "Well yo--"

WAD Maker: "I'm in!"

seriously, what is so bad about getting asked if you want your WAD to be official?!? I feel like Bethesda is sort of lazy. I'm sure hundreds of people would want their WADs to be released on the consoles. 

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I feel like there are less and less add-ons every time I look at the add-on page for the Bethesda port. the last add-on was Deathless, which I loved, but I want more. In my opinion, TNT was dumb after level 20, Plutonia didn't feel like DooM to me, and No End In Sight just didn't intrigue me since I felt there was no learning curve to it. I get that they have to go through the creators to ask for it, but how hard is that? 

Bethesda: "Hey, would you like to have your WAD as an official add-on to DOOM?"

WAD Maker: "I don't know, what's in it for me?"

Bethesda: "Well yo--"

WAD Maker: "I'm in!"

seriously, what is so bad about getting asked if you want your WAD to be official?!? I feel like Bethesda is sort of lazy. I'm sure hundreds of people would want their WADs to be released on the consoles.  

Sigil / No Rest for the Living / TNT: Evilution / The Plutonia Experiment - January 9th

Double Impact - February 13th (35 days later)

No End in Sight - March 31st (47 days later)

Deathless - May 14th (44 days later)

It's only been 37 days since Deathless.

---

Also, an excerpt from the FAQ

"Q: Hey, I’m a WAD author. Can I upload my own files for release on consoles?"

"A: Because of the age of these games and the fractured nature of the DOOM community, we’re taking a different approach than some of our past cross-platform titles. Every Add-on we make available will be fully tested by our QA and verified to work on all platforms. That means you can’t upload them yourselves. But we’ve already begun tracking down members of the DOOM community to discuss releasing their Add-ons, and hope to release many more in the future. Stay tuned!"

---

So everything they choose to add (1) needs to be vanilla-compatible, (2) works on all six platforms (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, Android, iOS), (3) have changes made to copyrighted material (as shown in Revenant100's post), (4) tested by the QA team, and (5) have permission from the original mappers. With all that considered, their current release schedule is actually quite quick.

10 hours ago, cybdmn said:

They don't sell it in Germany.

The steam version anyway. Can't say the same for GOG, but they also don't really have regions so that's a different situation.

11 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

They don't sell it in Germany.

The steam version anyway. Can't say the same for GOG, but they also don't really have regions so that's a different situation.

What the hell are you talking about? Where did you get your information from? Are you actually living in germany? Because i do.

GOG DO sell the game in germany, Steam does not. And of course did GOG have regions, there are plenty of games you can't buy or even see if you browse GOG from germany. Kingpin for example, or Dark Forces, both still on the index list. Doom II isn't on that list anymore since 30th of december 2019, and you can buy it from GOG.

27 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

GOG DO sell the game in germany, Steam does not.

Yes, that's what I said. I'm glad we are now on the same page. And this is because of it being v1.9 and GOG not having regions. If GOG had sale regions and it was v1.9, it would be blocked just the same. 

On 6/20/2020 at 6:15 AM, Nevander said:

In the case of Doom, we can still get the original DOS versions. But one day we won't be able to. That is going to be bad.

I get what you're saying, and with many games - especially more obscure ones - this is a totally justified fear, but definitely not in Doom's case. There are an absolute litany Of Doom/Doom2/Collector's Edition CDs floating around with the untampered 1.9 on them, and even more .ISO rips of said CDs floating around. It's such a lightweight file and so common that, until the death of the internet itself, there is no need to worry about it being lost to time. It's everywhere. Bootlegging sites with copies of Doom and Doom2 v1.9 are about as common as dirt.

@AtimZarr1 Hmm, I guess it feels longer since I completed Deathless immediately and stopped playing DOOM for the past week.

11 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Yes, that's what I said. I'm glad we are now on the same page. And this is because of it being v1.9 and GOG not having regions. If GOG had sale regions and it was v1.9, it would be blocked just the same. 

You didn't get it. GOG does not show any game in germany, which is on the index list, and that included Doom II v1.9 before. So, while they did not have regions in the manner Steam have, they did have regional locks. but the topic was another one, you have said:

On 6/19/2020 at 10:06 PM, Edward850 said:

And that is not true, because they do sell it via GOG.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:15 PM, Nevander said:

Removing original versions of games is something that I cannot stand. When a game has a remaster or rerelease, typically they pull the original product from Steam and make it almost impossible to obtain the original.

These days the original is usually the better game too. Remasters usually tend to end up with new problems such as crashing, performance issues, too many changes, and sometimes downgrades in gameplay or UI features. This is a backstep every time.

They're not removing the old version from Steam. As you can see from the launch options(I had that occur too until recently, FYI. Apparently that was rolled out by accident and was fixed not long after.), they're merely adding it as an option, with the old one is still available. The least you could do is read before throwing out accusations.

There are also plenty of examples of that not being the case. For example, Doom 3 and Blood. The original versions are still for sale on Steam despite the existence of BFG Edition and Fresh Supply, respectively.

Honestly, all these updates and all this work put into the Unity port if anything it shows that they are listening to the community and want to do things right, why would they want to upset anyone by removing the original wad?

So far we have had no indication of that and even the leak shows it as a third option (along with the other 2 that already existed) so why jump the gun? If anything that leak would be good news.

Sigil isn't officially on consoles. Someone must have figured out how to put custom wads on there.

3 hours ago, SteelPH said:

Fresh Supply

Not anymore.

That was the case for a few months after release, but OUWB on Steam was taken down in October or September, only the remaster is still available, which I doubt is coming with the original OUWB files (it most definitely did not before OUWB was removed). I've heard GOG does though.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:15 PM, Nevander said:

I agree that removing the original game once a remaster shows up sucks, but this has nothing to do with Steam or any digital distribution service. If they wanted to do this with physical copies they would simply stop making them, and ask the retailers who had the rights to distribute the original to take it off the shelves.

12 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Sigil isn't officially on consoles.

Yes it is, along with Final Doom...

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Not anymore.

That was the case for a few months after release, but OUWB on Steam was taken down in October or September, only the remaster is still available, which I doubt is coming with the original OUWB files (it most definitely did not before OUWB was removed). I've heard GOG does though.

I agree that removing the original game once a remaster shows up sucks, but this has nothing to do with Steam or any digital distribution service. If they wanted to do this with physical copies they would simply stop making them, and ask the retailers who had the rights to distribute the original to take it off the shelves.

Yes it is, along with Final Doom...

So that means Sigil's the first custom wad on consoles. I would like to see more.