Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

2 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

I believe that's in the works.

I hope so, that would be great if it is!

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@Mr. Death since you're new, you might not know about this feature, but you can privately message Sponge and ask him the question. He might not notice the post you made, but if you privately message him, he will definitely notice.

OK, Thanks. I'll give that a try!

4 hours ago, Mr. Death said:

Hi,

I created a Doomworld account just to ask this specific question. I couldn't find any other posts where it was mentioned before, but I might just have missed them.

I wanted to direct this specifically to sponge, since I see that he's an id developer and that he posts/responds here regularly.

Will the frame-pacing issues with these new ports of Doom & Doom II ever be fixed? To me it's very obvious and distracting, and it actually makes targeting enemies and connecting with shots much more difficult. Just start up any level and slowly turn in a circle, and you can clearly see the stutter/hitching occur in perfect intervals...

I don't want to sound overly negative regarding these new ports, because they're truly excellent in pretty much every other way. I really appreciate all the extra work/time that the developers have put into these, and if this issue was fixed they would very clearly be the best console versions of Doom IMO.

Thanks!

There's been some improvements to reduce GC usage while the game runs that should reduce the frequency of hitches, but without having measured it specifically I'm reluctant to say anything like that is solved without being able to reliably measure and compare. I haven't done that specifically to know if there are other issues going on. It may be related to 35hz -> 60hz interpolation, or any number of things that I don't know the source of.

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@Mr. Death since you're new, you might not know about this feature, but you can privately message Sponge and ask him the question. He might not notice the post you made, but if you privately message him, he will definitely notice.

I do follow the thread, but whether I can talk about something publicly or not depends, so I'd definitely prefer whatever info I can answer to be out in the public instead instead of lost in a DMs heh.

13 hours ago, sponge said:

There's been some improvements to reduce GC usage while the game runs that should reduce the frequency of hitches, but without having measured it specifically I'm reluctant to say anything like that is solved without being able to reliably measure and compare. I haven't done that specifically to know if there are other issues going on. It may be related to 35hz -> 60hz interpolation, or any number of things that I don't know the source of.

I do follow the thread, but whether I can talk about something publicly or not depends, so I'd definitely prefer whatever info I can answer to be out in the public instead instead of lost in a DMs heh.

That's great to hear that it's being looked into- Thanks!

Like I said before, the stutter/hitching appears to happen in perfect constant intervals (about 3-4 every second), which leads me to believe that this issue may be caused by something more specific that could hopefully outright be fixed, instead of just improved upon. Just start any level and slowly turn in a circle and you can see it plain as day. It's not like some other games that I've played that have frame-pacing issues, where the stutter/hitching appears more inconsistent and it's harder to define when and where they exactly occur.

@Mr. Death I've been playing Doom II on Xbox One (the original XB1) and i don't seem to have any issues. Maybe i'm just not noticing it though as i turn pretty fast. My TV also isn't as sharp as a newer 4k one (it's just 1080p). What console are you playing on? Hardly anyone seems to play it on XB1 (from what i can gather) so i'm going to assume a Switch or a PS4.

(I can't really help much but i was just wondering)

1 hour ago, CyberDreams said:

@Mr. Death I've been playing Doom II on Xbox One (the original XB1) and i don't seem to have any issues. Maybe i'm just not noticing it though as i turn pretty fast. My TV also isn't as sharp as a newer 4k one (it's just 1080p). What console are you playing on? Hardly anyone seems to play it on XB1 (from what i can gather) so i'm going to assume a Switch or a PS4.

(I can't really help much but i was just wondering)

I'm playing on an Xbox One X w/ a 1080p TV, so you're not the only one ;)

I don't know, maybe I'm just really sensitive to these sorts of things. To me the constant micro hitches during gameplay is very distracting, and I often have difficulty targeting enemies and connecting with shots. I've already beaten both Doom & Doom II on Ultra-Violence, so it's certainly not game breaking, but it is noticeable for sure.

I can see this question to be a stupid one, but I'm still going to ask it since I have wondered about it since the begging. technically, it is two questions, but both regard a similar point. I guess I can direct this question towards @sponge, since he would probably be the one with the answers. 

1. Are there plans for online Deathmatch? Because I've seen a few people mention that they would want it, but never anybody saying they can see it in the future. 

2. Are there any plans to release Deathmatch only add-ons? Si6il had some fun ones, which I've played with my sister and friends, and I would love to see more Deathmatch maps!

I can see that you might not answer these, but I have had them on my mind, and just kinda wanted to share them. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Mr. Death said:

I don't know, maybe I'm just really sensitive to these sorts of things. To me the constant micro hitches during gameplay is very distracting, and I often have difficulty targeting enemies and connecting with shots. I've already beaten both Doom & Doom II on Ultra-Violence, so it's certainly not game breaking, but it is noticeable for sure.

Cool, someone else with an Xbox lol. Anyways, i only beat 1 and II on HMP due to the fact that playing with a controller is a little hard for me but doable. Next time i play i'll see if i notice anything and report back here :)

1. Are there plans for online Deathmatch? Because I've seen a few people mention that they would want it, but never anybody saying they can see it in the future. 

I’m sure this has been discussed but just to voice it I too would like to see online multiplayer implemented at some point. 

Are there plans for online Deathmatch? Because I've seen a few people mention that they would want it, but never anybody saying they can see it in the future. 

As far as I'm concerned, online multiplayer in classic Doom is sort of a headache due to how netcoding is handled, thus if it was to be developed, it would take a long time and may not be on Bethesda's priority list.

Splitscreen deathmatch would be cool though.

9 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Splitscreen deathmatch would be cool though.

It does have that actually, as well as co-op. Although you can't share the keyboard between two players.

caWleaL.png

You can also do the same with the bonus episode add-ons, though not all have deathmatch. For example, Deathless can only be played split-screen co-op.

4ihsc0z.png

In contrast, TNT has the option for both Deathmatch and Coop.

HicWp3X.png

1 hour ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Although you can't share the keyboard between two players.

Very little does. Aside from rollover jamming still being a problem (thus making it pointless for most users who would ever play this way), it's simply an unnatural control format from both a usability standpoint and a programming standpoint. Splitscreen is typically handled by dividing up input device entries at a low level, not explicit button indices which would conflict with how you'd usually do input binds.

As such it should be assumed this is the default nowadays, splitscreen now typically just takes the form of hooking up xbox gamepads (sometimes litteraly xbox gamepads due to the ease of xinput). 

I would also like to see online multiplayer added, it's the main reason I still have the xbla doom 1 and 2 still installed.

38 minutes ago, Silverforte said:

I would also like to see online multiplayer added, it's the main reason I still have the xbla doom 1 and 2 still installed.

Same. It's a shame that XBLA Doom 1 and 2's MP is dead.

Just wanting to poke my head back into this thread and say that being able to play BTSX in this port has been an absolute pleasure. I never expected to see it made available and I'm so grateful that it is. Hoping to see episode 2 soon!

Meanwhile I'm here wondering why on earth not many folks are encountering input lag in these ports? As well as why I cannot relate to the stuttering Mr. Death is reporting. I 100% have a smooth but delayed experience on both ports.

That said, I'm on PS4 pro. My setup is perfectly fine in other games.

I also have beaten Doom on UV, but I don't wish to even bother with tough wads with the lag. My controller sensitivity is at the 13th notch out of 20 in both games, perfect for me. Makes the delay even more noticable, mind.

Edit: this is also the reason why i created an account, as I seem to be the huge minority of people experiencing this.

3 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

Meanwhile I'm here wondering why on earth not many folks are encountering input lag in these ports? As well as why I cannot relate to the stuttering Mr. Death is reporting. I 100% have a smooth but delayed experience on both ports.

That said, I'm on PS4 pro. My setup is perfectly fine in other games.

I also have beaten Doom on UV, but I don't wish to even bother with tough wads with the lag. My controller sensitivity is at the 13th notch out of 20 in both games, perfect for me. Makes the delay even more noticable, mind.

Edit: this is also the reason why i created an account, as I seem to be the huge minority of people experiencing this.

I got the PC version and experienced the same thing, and I also wonder how there are so few complains. Made me think it was my monitor fault or something.

Speaking of the PC version, is it just me or is it strange that the PC version of the 2019 port supports DualShock 4 controllers but only for multiplayer and nothing else according PC Gaming Wiki. @sponge Is there any way that could be remedied so that native DualShock 4 support works across all modes and game types, single player and multiplayer?

Source: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Doom_Classic#Input

Edit: Actually, I'll take one of the other user's suggestions and message this directly to sponge.

Edited by AmethystViper

1 hour ago, AmethystViper said:

Speaking of the PC version, is it just me or is it strange that the PC version of the 2019 port supports DualShock 4 controllers but only for multiplayer and nothing else according PC Gaming Wiki. @sponge Is there any way that could be remedied so that native DualShock 4 support works across all modes and game types, single player and multiplayer?

Source: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Doom_Classic#Input

Edit: Actually, I'll take one of the other user's suggestions and message this directly to sponge.

That's not correct, DS4s should work in both single player and split screen on PC. It's my primary controller for PC development.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:18 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

I can see this question to be a stupid one, but I'm still going to ask it since I have wondered about it since the begging. technically, it is two questions, but both regard a similar point. I guess I can direct this question towards @sponge, since he would probably be the one with the answers. 

2. Are there any plans to release Deathmatch only add-ons? Si6il had some fun ones, which I've played with my sister and friends, and I would love to see more Deathmatch maps!

I can see that you might not answer these, but I have had them on my mind, and just kinda wanted to share them. Thank you!

In general, I'm not able to talk about anything that's unannounced through other channels. We haven't announced any plans for online MP/DM only maps publicly.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:10 PM, Mr. Death said:

I know what you are talking about now. I did notice the stuttering/hitching but it only happens to me when i turn slowly (which is actually quite often). I actually think i may have noticed it when i first played the game but i just quickly got used to it and/or i adjusted to it. I also sit pretty far away from my TV, at least 8 1/2 ft (maybe more), so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much. I can see it being an annoyance though as it is there.

I've been wanting to get a new TV for some time now. I'm sure i'd notice it a lot more on a larger one. Anyways, a size 32" TV is sort of small nowadays but my 9-10 yr old Sony Bravia is still kickin' so why buy one right?

Edited by CyberDreams

9 hours ago, sponge said:

That's not correct, DS4s should work in both single player and split screen on PC. It's my primary controller for PC development.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

11 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I know what you are talking about now. I did notice the stuttering/hitching but it only happens to me when i turn slowly (which is actually quite often). I actually think i may have noticed it when i first played the game but i just quickly got used to it and/or i adjusted to it. I also sit pretty far away from my TV, at least 8 1/2 ft (maybe more), so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much. I can see it being an annoyance though as it is there.

I've been wanting to get a new TV for some time now. I'm sure i'd notice it a lot more on a larger one. Anyways, a size 32" TV is sort of small nowadays but my 9-10 yr old Sony Bravia is still kickin' so why buy one right?

Yep- for me it's really noticeable when turning fast or slowly, but the stuttering/hitching is most pronounced when just standing still and slowly rotating the view. Like you said, it's something that I can get used to after playing for a while, but it's definitely distracting...

Does anyone else experience frame-pacing issues on other platforms besides Xbox One?

15 hours ago, Mr. Death said:

Does anyone else experience frame-pacing issues on other platforms besides Xbox One?

No issues on PS4 with frame rates, just input latency. Do you not experience any input lag on Xbox, then?

I registered specifically to share my experience regarding frame pacing skips. Because I may be one of the few who played these new releases on both Xbox One and PS4. First I bought the original Doom on PS4 and played through the first game, Sigil, Final Doom and all the add ons released including No End In Sight. With nothing left to play I remembered that I have 5 bucks left on my Xbox account and decided to buy Doom II there. And oh my.. I immediately noticed that something was off, stutters and hitching which I've not experienced on PS4 at all. Then I downloaded BTSX E1 on Xbox version of Doom 2 and while I absolutely loved the wad I just couldn't play it without noticing all the frame pacing problems. So I decided to buy Doom II on PS4 too... And... yeah, none of the framepacing issues here. Also I don't notice input lag. Now I wonder how is it performing on Switch, but I don't have it so can't comment on. Just wanted to let you guys know of my experience 

6 hours ago, Allhailnewflesh said:

I registered specifically to share my experience regarding frame pacing skips. Because I may be one of the few who played these new releases on both Xbox One and PS4. First I bought the original Doom on PS4 and played through the first game, Sigil, Final Doom and all the add ons released including No End In Sight. With nothing left to play I remembered that I have 5 bucks left on my Xbox account and decided to buy Doom II there. And oh my.. I immediately noticed that something was off, stutters and hitching which I've not experienced on PS4 at all. Then I downloaded BTSX E1 on Xbox version of Doom 2 and while I absolutely loved the wad I just couldn't play it without noticing all the frame pacing problems. So I decided to buy Doom II on PS4 too... And... yeah, none of the framepacing issues here. Also I don't notice input lag. Now I wonder how is it performing on Switch, but I don't have it so can't comment on. Just wanted to let you guys know of my experience 

That's interesting. I guess ill try reinstalling them but i am not hopeful.

What difficulty didyou play through Sigil and final doom out of interest?

2 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

That's interesting. I guess ill try reinstalling them but i am not hopeful.

What difficulty didyou play through Sigil and final doom out of interest?

I always play Doom on HMP

9 hours ago, Allhailnewflesh said:

Very interesting...

So maybe it's exclusively an Xbox One issue? Hopefully the devs will be able to look into this further and figure out what the problem is.

As far as input latency, I haven't experienced anything noticeable on Xbox One.

I don't experience input lag, either. I had never heard of it until this conversation started.

@Cantleylads Now that I remember Digital Foundry mentioned the input latency in their Youtube review of the improved port. I watched it again and the guy said he tested the PS4 and the Switch ports and found a bit of lag on both (especially on Swtich). He said it was nothing too serious though. No idea if it has changed since then.

Personally I haven't played any of the console ports but I definitely experience delay on the PC port (where I'd rather use a source port or emulation anyway so no big deal).

11 hours ago, unerxai said:

@Cantleylads Now that I remember Digital Foundry mentioned the input latency in their Youtube review of the improved port. I watched it again and the guy said he tested the PS4 and the Switch ports and found a bit of lag on both (especially on Swtich). He said it was nothing too serious though. No idea if it has changed since then.

Personally I haven't played any of the console ports but I definitely experience delay on the PC port (where I'd rather use a source port or emulation anyway so no big deal).

Good shout regarding DF. It is only serious in terms of maintaining high movement speeds when navigating maps. I'm not a speed runner by any means but I understand how to keep doomguy from slowing down, just it is much harder to do with a constant delay. Quickly turning around to land consecutive shotgun blasts on close by enemies or land direct hits at range with the rocket launcher is harder too. It's like you have less time to react to things and that you have to perform inputs in advance, such as lining up SG shots.

Not unplayable but definitely prevents you from playing at your best. Muscle memory is extremely hindered, I find.