Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Good point, before the release of Doom 3 BFG there was no official port on the pc that could handle NRFTL.

18 hours ago, sponge said:

Given that NRFTL requires raised limits, and only the original DOS version was available on PC at the time, I don't think there was a good way to make it available on other platforms. You'd have to sell a WAD file that people would have to use in their own ports, which seems like a really poor experience.

@xttl made a executable hack, back in 2016 that was capable of playing NRFTL.

Thread:

20 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Thread:

i wonder how he achieved changing the secret exit and then not entering the inexistent map16.

Implementing that as a variable a source port could handle would bring a lot of possibilities to no mapinfo port users.

Edit: just remember that almost all ports except chocolate are adding umapinfo support.

But well, if the secret exit could be chaged in in someway kinda a variable in dehacked that will expand even further vanilla modding.

13 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

This is irrelevant from a company standpoint. Unofficial is unofficial. You cant just market a loose file for your game, you have to include it in a brand new release or as an add-on for something existing, something that every average joe can use and run without hassle. Handing it out for free was obviously out of the question, and the fact that source port exists has likely been a deterrent to any PC releases; no matter what id/Bethesda did, it would be laughed at by the spoiled PC community, with years of passion projects and free content. And this is exactly what happened with BFG Edition's updated official port that could play NRFTL, and what happened with this port. They cant win.

How is everybody doing with Ep. 2? I've been struggling with some of it, even on ITYTD. it is much harder than the first episode, and the other add-ons. I still haven't played Plutonia (although, I don't really want to), and I know people say that's hard. I think I'm about half-way through Ep. 2. Can't wait until next month for new add-on! this one has really got me wondering!

2 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Sigil required a source port, so.

Xttl also released a hack for that, Sigexe:

3 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Sigil required a source port, so.

Sigel was a Romero thing, not a id thing.

6 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

How is everybody doing with Ep. 2? I've been struggling with some of it, even on ITYTD. it is much harder than the first episode, and the other add-ons. I still haven't played Plutonia (although, I don't really want to), and I know people say that's hard. I think I'm about half-way through Ep. 2. Can't wait until next month for new add-on! this one has really got me wondering!

I had a quick look it seems like a challenge. I'm playing No End In Sight at the minute and It's kicking my ass.

7 hours ago, Devalaous said:

This is irrelevant from a company standpoint. Unofficial is unofficial.

I never postulated otherwise. I was merely responding to the part that NRTFL requires raised limits and that there was no good way to make it available on other platforms.

So purely for that i linked to that, yes, unofficial executable. There was not anything more to it :)

So here's an interesting idea, at Quakecon Hugo mentioned that they wanted to explain the events between Doom 2016 and Eternal, but they aren't sure how exactly they want to tell since they don't want to make it into DLC. They mentioned they might create a comic or use codex entries to show the player what happened during those events, but what if they instead created their own maps using classic Doom to explain those events. I myself would like to see them release a new WAD if anything just to see how modern Id would handle a classic Doom map pack.

22 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I played thru E2 and must say that the quality of the levels isn't as good as the original episode which I loved. Actually had to force myself to finish it and used some cheats which I'm not ashamed to admit because the level design is deliberately frustrating in a lot of maps, which I'm not a fan of. I played on HMP as I always do. The music also isn't nearly as memorable which is a major dissapointment because the music in E1 was fantastic. And yeah the difficulty is much higher, I always ran out of the ammo almost completely on every level which wasn't the case with E1 at all. Still I'm thankful for more Doom levels to play on my PS4

@Allhailnewflesh I play on ITYTD as I do with every new WAD I play (except for Deathless for some reason), and even then I ran out of ammo a few times. I learned after a while that the demons in BTSX (or aliens or whatever they are) aren't supposed to be enemies. They are supposed to be traps. the revenants aren't meant to be killed, they are meant to be something to run from as you try to get from point A to point B. I recommend that if you have a difficult time in a Slaughter WAD or any WAD with a high number of demons, then just run past them. There is no shame in that. 

I actually enjoy a lot of the map layouts, some even more than the first one. my favorite map so far in Ep. 2 is Drowntown (I'm not sure what the actual name is, I play only on PS4), since it is one of the few maps I've played that tells a story throughout the map. first, you enter this small area infested with evil demons, and after making your way towards the main entrance room, you find a switch that allows you to explore the areas outside. now, you flood the place to get to a key to open a door, and from here, you flood the whole town, where you find many arch-viles to resurrect the foes you fought at the beginning of the level. Then, there is the final Archie, guarded by a few of zombie demons. Now, you must kill him to make your way out of this evil town of horrors. I really like that, as not many maps create the feel of a story (that I've played), and this map performed very well on this aspect.

Also, the way all the hubs connect is genius! that makes it feel like this episode is itself, cut into episodes, and you unlock each world as you progress! They did that in Ep. 1, too, and I hope they do it in episode 3. I too am thankful that DOOM has all these add-ons for it. I can't ever wait for the new one to be released! the next based on previous releases can be released in middle September, late September, or early October, so there is no telling when the next add-on will be released, so it's always a surprise! 

That's all. This post was a bit long based on my previous ones. I guess I really enjoyed BTSX, though! And who wouldn't!

On vendredi 21 août 2020 at 1:40 AM, Hunting4r2d2 said:

So here's an interesting idea, at Quakecon Hugo mentioned that they wanted to explain the events between Doom 2016 and Eternal, but they aren't sure how exactly they want to tell since they don't want to make it into DLC. They mentioned they might create a comic or use codex entries to show the player what happened during those events, but what if they instead created their own maps using classic Doom to explain those events. I myself would like to see them release a new WAD if anything just to see how modern Id would handle a classic Doom map pack.

If anything it should have been a DLC for Doom 2016.

The 2019 unity ports we're dissapointing in 2019, but what they have done in 2020 is awesome. :D Bought DOOM 1 and 2 for the Nintendo Switch and I'm happy with these ports. I'm excited which community-made wads they will bring next, because I will play what they deliver. Don't know all the awesome wads which are out there. So what they pick, is also a little help for me to find cool wads.

On 8/20/2020 at 6:36 PM, Redneckerz said:

I never postulated otherwise. I was merely responding to the part that NRTFL requires raised limits and that there was no good way to make it available on other platforms.

So purely for that i linked to that, yes, unofficial executable. There was not anything more to it :)

A little OT but a big thanks for sharing those - this is my first hearing about them! I’ve always been using Doomp or Doom2p to run them in DOS until now!

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

A little OT but a big thanks for sharing those - this is my first hearing about them! I’ve always been using Doomp or Doom2p to run them in DOS until now!

You are very welcome! Also check out the Executable Hack page on DWiki that covers these, including Doom32. :)

On 8/18/2020 at 7:09 PM, sponge said:

Given that NRFTL requires raised limits, and only the original DOS version was available on PC at the time, I don't think there was a good way to make it available on other platforms. You'd have to sell a WAD file that people would have to use in their own ports, which seems like a really poor experience.

Why not bundle a GPL source port with it?

7 minutes ago, VGA said:

Why not bundle a GPL source port with it?

This would require you to give official support to somebody else's work who you have little vetting over. That's not exactly a great situation to be in. 

And yes, it really does have to be official support. This is a product you're selling as a business, that's not a situation you can just cut corners on. 

Does the Unity port not support (rhyme!) DeHacked, now? I remember hearing somewhere that BTSX Ep. 2 might use it. I don't know, though. I might have misunderstood the conversation. 

35 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Does the Unity port not support (rhyme!) DeHacked, now? I remember hearing somewhere that BTSX Ep. 2 might use it. I don't know, though. I might have misunderstood the conversation. 

as far as i read around, BTSX E2 had little dehacked tweak to IOS HP amount, but as it was something that didn't made much difference, they go on without it.

At least thats what i think the dehacked work was.

Something similar happened with Deathless in wich Jimmy tweaked the Lost Souls HP so it can be killed faster, but, gameplay wise, didn't change much, so they just discarded it when adding it to this port.

4 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Implementing DeHacked support is not as trivial you may think. Its a full set of descriptors for codepointers and states. Chocolate Doom simplified this by enabling built-in support and automatic wad merging.

For the Unity port to support it, the vanilla engine has to be retooled for it, or they would move to Chocolate (Not gonna happen) or write a plugin that implements DeHackEd, or something.

Since the Unity port simply is a framework for the vanilla engine, this seems unlikely.

So, uh, I have the Android version of the port and I just received an update with a proper 16:9 mode and DeHackEd support.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so I thought I'd bring it up myself.

On jeudi 27 août 2020 at 9:07 PM, Redneckerz said:

or they would move to Chocolate (Not gonna happen)

To explicit a bit this point: they need to make this port work on several consoles (Switch, PS4, XB1...) and the console manufacturers' licensing agreement for using their platform prohibits using code licensed under the GPL; because the terms of the GPL would require open-sourcing the proprietary libraries they have to use to integrate on the consoles, and obviously they're not allowed to do that.

So there's two solutions here. The first is to only use their own code. That's what they're doing.

The second is to seek each and every single contributor to a GPL code and get their agreement for relicensing the GPLed port under a different license, even if just for them. And obviously that'd be a huge hassle. Especially given that some of the contributors may be very hard to reach, or even dead (RIP Jim Flynn and Ty Halderman).

Update has been deployed (for Switch at least). Doom and Doom 2 now use their proper TITLEPICs, gyroscope aiming is available, and the aspect ratio option no longer toggles correction, instead having 4:3 and proper 16:9 support.

Edit: Oh and a crosshair. That turns red when you aim at an enemy.

Edit 2: The Doom and Doom 2 titlepics were also updated for 16:9 resolution as well, as were the credits pics. Neat.

Got the updates on PS4 this morning. The motion controls threw me off at first (I thought it was a bug of some sort honestly), but everything else looks great. I'm noticing a few small out of place graphics that pop up on screen when you first enter the level though (About 18 seconds into the video). I'm assuming they are related to the motion control but I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

To explicit a bit this point: they need to make this port work on several consoles (Switch, PS4, XB1...) and the console manufacturers' licensing agreement for using their platform prohibits using code licensed under the GPL; because the terms of the GPL would require open-sourcing the proprietary libraries they have to use to integrate on the consoles, and obviously they're not allowed to do that.

So there's two solutions here. The first is to only use their own code. That's what they're doing.

The second is to seek each and every single contributor to a GPL code and get their agreement for relicensing the GPLed port under a different license, even if just for them. And obviously that'd be a huge hassle. Especially given that some of the contributors may be very hard to reach, or even dead (RIP Jim Flynn and Ty Halderman).

If the new update brings out DeHackEd support (Through their own code) that will open up a world of possibilities. TC stuff will be possible to port over.

So lets see what @sponge can tell us :)