Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

There's something funky with the translations.

m7Lv2wZ.jpg

Italian is mixed in with French here.

Also the game becomes unresponsive when I try to go to customize controls. Complete with the Windows popup telling me it's unresponsive and asking whether to wait or terminate it.

7xVTfwo.jpg

Or "personnaliser les commandes", which looks a bit unwieldy next to the much shorter options.

This is a fantastic update. Looking forward to trying out Ultra-Violence+ for the episodes and add-ons. DeHackEd support is also exciting for the possibility of future add-ons.

This is looking like a really nice way to play vanilla/limit removing wads, even on pc. If support keeps up and adoption improves, it might be worthwhile to test future projects for compatibility with this port.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

Do the PC ports support split screen as well? Or just the console versions?

Yes, you'll have to plug in a second controller for 2 players though, since the first controller and keyboard/mouse are both assigned to Player 1. I also enabled support for Steam Play Together, so you should be able to invite Steam friends to play split screen, too!

1 minute ago, sponge said:

Yes, you'll have to plug in a second controller for 2 players though, since the first controller and keyboard/mouse are both assigned to Player 1. I also enabled support for Steam Play Together, so you should be able to invite Steam friends to play split screen, too!

Oh awesome, that is fantastic news. Thank you so much for all you’ve done! These ports just keep getting better and better!

Just now, jamondemarnatural said:

Maybe i don't see the options, but how i can play with UV+?

It only shows when you do a level select

Resolved an issue from the original 1993 release where the Former Human would not light up when firing.

The Zombieman's tactical superiority in darkened environments has been brutally cut down in its prime, but fear not! The pitch black Cyberdemons of Bad Dream remain unscathed to haunt our nightmares another day.

Yl6V7rT.png

But for how long?

Edited by Revenant100

I assume Dehacked support implies Valiant and Eviternity or at least something close.

I guess TNT Revilution's turrets aren't a problem anymore except for the Duke Nukem 3D graphics.

I wonder about most custom enemies in case they'd have to be changed sprite-wise, even if some were meant to fit the OG Doom art style. (making me wonder if some would be new/unique sprites or even something inspired by other Doom games like the Afrit from Realm667 being changed to that one boss from Resurrection of Evil but changed to look more "classic")

Sounds too i guess, because that one exploding zombie from Valiant has the Serious Sam beheaded kamikaze scream.

In fact, i wonder about original wads specifically made for the ports (that could still come out as regular non-restricted free wads) that take advantage of Dehacked now that it's a thing.

There's also D4V which i think used Dehacked, even if it has that map 07 issue.

I also remember seeing some people refering to these addons as "canonizing some wads" but that doesn't seem to mean "official" like how Final Doom was actually bought and sold by id or Sigil being made by Romero himself.

As in, if a Doom game ever directly references some of these wads or they even make a presense in like a crossover cameo for Doom.

Because Final Doom and Sigil are one thing but BTSX's inclusion for example is mostly a collaboration and not much an "officialization" on the wad.

Althought Doom mods/wads in general were like the "Doom universe" kind of.

Speaking of Realm667, i remember they have texture sets from Final Doom, console ports of Doom and alpha/beta material. (why did i brought it up, i forgot, i just had it in mind)

1 minute ago, whatup876 said:

I assume Dehacked support implies Valiant and Eviternity or at least something close.

Well these mods will still require adding support for Boom and MBF features. It's not impossible because there's enough documentation to write a clean-room recreation, but it's a lot of work.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

Well these mods will still require adding support for Boom and MBF features. It's not impossible because there's enough documentation to write a clean-room recreation, but it's a lot of work.

Actually, you do not need that. Boom and even older versions of MBF have been released under the Doom source license. The GPL only was used after the Doom source switched to it. Remember: ZDoom never used the GPL at all, despite all the Boom code.

The Doom source license doesn't allow commercial use, which is obviously a problem for commercial ports! :p

Trying Doom 2 Unity on Steam for a while now, from my experience mouselooking is not too smooth. Anyone have suggestions? Trying to set the sensivity doesn't help but only seem to affect keyboard turning.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

@sponge I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but on PS4, when I click this button on the controller

image.png.4b27837138ba8784da6df357cc89b247.png

it shows the controls for the phone game version of DOOM on the 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't know if this is the same for 4:3, but it definitely bugs me a bit. I should mention that it flickers a bit, too. 

Also, unrelated to the above post, I played level 17 of BTSX Ep. 2, and I have to say, that might be my favorite level I've ever played! Amazing job @Xaser! I'm excited to play the rest of the levels soon! 

I don't know if this happened with the Deathless update or now, but the Spiderdemon's collision size seems to be massively reduced. Not only can you get much closer, but you can also literally run against her back and she wont wake up. Generally this will be a quality of life increase, but it could introduce problems down the line because her huge size was sometimes used to block enemies or progression.

ass.png.f07b053d4755e78bc533b8058414ab71.png

I loaded up a demo of ramming my face into the Spiderdemon into the new port and it stayed in sync, so I can strongly confirm there's nothing different about the Spiderdemon at all from vanilla V1.9. You are encountering weirdness with the mastermind being so big it exceeds the safe bounds of the standard vanilla collision and detection behaviour (i.e these are things you can do in vanilla as well and when it happens is based purely on where you and the mastermind are standing).

For example, waking up enemies by standing behind them only checks for MELEERANGE, regardless of the actors radius: https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/blob/21bcebf312e41a3b831c22f72bfd0e94368484e4/src/doom/p_enemy.c#L535-L542

There's also a cap on hitboxes in vanilla that the mastermind exceeds. Though I'm not immediately aware of where that comes into play in the code.

Edited by Edward850

6 hours ago, sponge said:

LEGEND, glad to finally see this. Thank you!

Quick Q, I'm assuming a controller will also be required for Play Together to work correctly?

Edited by Lollie

I'm not super familiar with Play Together, but I think so, since if the Play Together controller is the first controller, it may get assigned to Player 1. I'll see if that's something we can address more generally either way, but I haven't looked into it so I can't say I know for sure.

7 hours ago, randomgamerguy1997 said:

so in the unity port, the mouse movement feels weird

Same, I cant seem to lower the mouse sens, the option wont stay.

Anyone else had this? Maybe a solution? Was trying to play the Master levels but my mouse is flying lol

6 minutes ago, Endless said:

Same, I cant seem to lower the mouse sens, the option wont stay.

Anyone else had this? Maybe a solution? Was trying to play the Master levels but my mouse is flying lol

It's working for me but the effect isn't as dramatic as you'd think. If you find it too sensitive you'll need to turn it all the way down, and perhaps turn down your mouse DPI as well as it could be set too high. @sponge can Unity do fractional sensitivity as well? It might need something to allow doing 0.5 or something, I suspect that might be what's up with the slider not appearing to have much effect for some users.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

I loaded up a demo of ramming my face into the Spiderdemon into the new port and it stayed in sync, so I can strongly confirm there's nothing different about the Spiderdemon at all from vanilla V1.9. You are encountering weirdness with the mastermind being so big it exceeds the safe bounds of the standard vanilla collision and detection behaviour (i.e these are things you can do in vanilla as well and when it happens is based purely on where you and the mastermind are standing).

For example, waking up enemies by standing behind them only checks for MELEERANGE, regardless of the actors radius: https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/blob/21bcebf312e41a3b831c22f72bfd0e94368484e4/src/doom/p_enemy.c#L535-L542

There's also a cap on hitboxes in vanilla that the mastermind exceeds. Though I'm not immediately aware of where that comes into play in the code.

I see. I compared it to GZDoom where that Mastermind woke up immediately upon getting close and seemed to block me much earlier, but I hadn't considered that it was GZDoom that had non-vanilla collision behaviour.

I am absolutely stunned with these new features. There has been so much love put into this Unity Port, I never thought console players would get this kind of treatment for Classic Doom, especially given how mediocre the port started out as. Bravo. Holy crap. 

But here's the thing with UV+ in Doom II, the levels have MP weapon placements. In Entryway I get every single gun as if it's a multiplayer match. I'm assuming every level is like this.

Edited by SovereignX9

41 minutes ago, SovereignX9 said:

But here's the thing with UV+ in Doom II, the levels have MP weapon placements. In Entryway I get every single gun as if it's a multiplayer match. I'm assuming every level is like this.

Yes, UV+ is supposed to spawn the multiplayer objects. This includes the enemies, such as the mastermind in Plutonia MAP01.

1 hour ago, EANB said:

but I hadn't considered that it was GZDoom that had non-vanilla collision behaviour.

That's not the only thing GZDoom changes from vanilla, it makes a lot of changes like this. It's an extremely unreliable port as a vanilla gameplay guide.

I know I'm kinda late on this, but I never expected to see this kind of an update for this port! Glorious 16:9 presentation, more improvements, gyro support for DualShock 4 controllers (and presumably Switch as well), and DeHackEd support??? THANK YOU, @sponge and those working on this port and shaping it to be one of the best ports of a beloved classic! I hope we can see the new version show up for GOG owners too. Now to dive into this new Unity port.

Edit: Can the Bestheda.net version of Doom I and II Classic (Unity) be updated to give owners the original Doom and Doom II IWADs? I remember hearing that version has changes like in the BFG Edition and apparently is less compatible with source ports.

14 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Yes, UV+ is supposed to spawn the multiplayer objects. This includes the enemies, such as the mastermind in Plutonia MAP01.

Why? Pardon me if I'm out of the loop on this, but I never even knew there was such a thing called UV+. I'd occasionally turn on Fast Monsters in GZDoom, or I knew there was a feature in LZDoom with something like this concept, but I thought it was just Fast Monsters. Why do Multiplayer weapons spawn? 

Or is it for like Co-Op?

Edit: just read about it on Bethesda's site. In my defense I didn't even know we were getting this huge of an update. Pretty interesting concept for sure. Hell, I'm just glad monsters move properly in Nightmare now.

Edited by SovereignX9

UV+ is a mix of -fast and what ports call “solo-net.” Since Doom 1 doesn’t have coop or dm items really, fast was added so the option would still change gameplay in those maps, since otherwise it would appear to have no effect. It’s a quick and easy way to act like a remix of some of our existing levels

Just to add to the chorus of positive sentiments about all the changes, these really are fantastic to have in an official Doom port. 

Given you've started to fix bugs like the SSG firing frame and the tutti-frutti effect, what are your thoughts on eventually implementing something like the full enemy rotations that were originally cut from the game?

7 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Given you've started to fix bugs like the SSG firing frame and the tutti-frutti effect, what are your thoughts on eventually implementing something like the full enemy rotations that were originally cut from the game?

BTSX Episode 1 (yes, the one released on BNet) actually did this and nobody noticed.

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

BTSX Episode 1 (yes, the one released on BNet) actually did this and nobody noticed.

Objection.