Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Gmanlives proves yet again he can't tell the difference of what features were the original DOS version of Doom and was introduced in Skulltag/GZDoom...

3 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I can't pick a favourite quote:

"The console's now been removed."

"The sound effect they play when you find a secret area is now different."

"Even being able to load up something simple like Brutal Doom would've been neat."

My exact thoughts from hearing those words by Gman:

3K4DLhU.png

Gmanlives is an idiot and I would rather see people stop linking his videos when it comes to Doom, ports, and remasters, this guy lives on a different planet and no longer has any idea what he's saying most of the time. He's basically clickbait at this stage, put the shovel down and leave him to rest.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Gmanlves is an idiot and I would rather see people stop linking his videos when it comes to Doom, ports, and remasters, this guy lives on a different planet and no longer has any idea what he's saying most of the time.

I only linked it because I thought it was hysterical. The guy's a buffoon, and I always love seeing people's reaction to him.

25 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I can't pick a favourite quote:

"The console's now been removed."

"The sound effect they play when you find a secret area is now different."

"Even being able to load up something simple like Brutal Doom would've been neat."

I can't believe the video has yet to be bombarded by dislikes.

Just now, InDOOMnesia said:

I can't believe the video has yet to be bombarded by dislikes.

It will, soon, don't worry, it will get the Sigil and Blood FS treatment too.

The thing that leapt out to me about that video was Gman's comments about the lack of free-for-all mod support. Yet he also made the observation more than once that the Unity port was aimed towards consoles. Maybe those two facts are connected somehow, G?!

1 hour ago, Use said:

As opposed to what, burning down their corporate offices? What other recourse does a consumer have exactly?

More of a snarky comment about all the perceived slights people seem to have about the new port, despite none of them being remotely true. Everyone who owned the dosbox release got a free, bonus Doom game in addition to keeping the classic, original game. These people are proving the old adage wrong; you can look a gift horse in the mouth!

26 minutes ago, NoXion said:

The thing that leapt out to me about that video was Gman's comments about the lack of free-for-all mod support. Yet he also made the observation more than once that the Unity port was aimed towards consoles. Maybe those two facts are connected somehow, G?!

And he's so damn sure that the whole game was reimplemented in Unity...

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

And he's so damn sure that the whole game was reimplemented in Unity...

Wouldn't that be far more trouble than it is worth? I'm pretty sure it's just a Unity wrapper around the original code or something like that.

32 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Wouldn't that be far more trouble than it is worth? I'm pretty sure it's just a Unity wrapper around the original code or something like that.

Yes it would be, and yes it is.

To be fair, there have been more than a few people who've attempted to make "Doom... but in Unity!" (or "Duke 3D... but in Unity!" or whatever other game) so the default assumption being that Unity replaces the entire engine can be excused from a neophyte who didn't especially care... But it cannot be excused from an "influencer" who's made several videos on the topic already and who could have cleared out all his misconceptions and misunderstanding by reading the real Doom Wiki.

That GGGmanlives video sort of adds to the idea that Doom as a series is somewhat misrepresented/misremembered by the public, including those that actually grew with the games at the time.

I mean, Dwars did like two videos about the ports, both were like 5 minutes or something and they seemed correct.

I feel like GGGman at this point only ever became a retro FPS youtuber because it was a very niche category at the time.

Otherwise, it's clear he always had some surface level knowledge of Doom and some other games unless he actually reviews a very obscure game but still.

Using GZDoom like it was the "true Doom experience" is something you'd expect from a very recent fan.

10 hours ago, SteelPH said:

The kneejerk ignorance some people display is astounding.

It's not ignorance when someone doesn't find a use for a particular port, I was meaning the PC version of it anyway. It's amazing how people can assume ignorance just because of ones preferences.

2 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

It's not ignorance when someone doesn't find a use for a pointless port, I was meaning the PC version of it anyway. It's amazing how people can assume ignorance just because of ones preferences.

You seemed to imply that Bethesda developed the port. Pay no attention to Nerve or sponge I guess.

6 minutes ago, SteelPH said:

You seemed to imply that Bethesda developed the port. Pay no attention to Nerve or sponge I guess.

I was tired and mistakenly said the one company.

Edited by Avoozl

I definitely appreciated it. Like I said in the other Unity port thread, I commend Nerve's and id's efforts of not only fixing this version of Doom and getting rid of that terrible always-online DRM from the initial 2019 release on consoles/mobile while fixing the issues of the port itself, but going above and beyond to make these games more convenient to newer players (especially for PC seeing how the Steam release has a botched DOSBox set-up across all classic Doom games and DOSBox itself can be a hassle for some people to get working), allowing PC users to even this version available them at all, adding various quality-of-life improvements to these games while trying to remain faithful to the original DOS version's features and quirks, and adding some form of modding support to help console players experience what the Doom community has to offer. But apparently that's just not good enough at all for some people after seeing how many people on Steam and even someoone on these very forums go out of their way to kick down sponge's, Nerve's, and even id's efforts to make amends for how this port was initially shipped and try to make things better for new and long-time players alike. These are the kind of angry losers that are no better than Mighty No. 9's toxic hatedom or the losers that gave death threats to Igarashi for Bloodstained not being able to implement its Roguelike Mode and tried to make a compromise. When it comes to Doom, it seems like to them it's "GZDoom and Brutal Doom or GTFO". "Gamers" today, eh?

So I just reopened my Steam after a long while, and I tried the Unity port for the first time. I must say, it's a solid port, and being able to play DOOM II-based add-ons (mods) while only having UD is a godsend (even though you have to have a Bethesda.net account to access those). Controls are responsive, so much that the default mouse speed is a bit fast for my usual setting, but that's better since the original release has a sluggish mouse speed as the default. Either way, this proves no problem since it can be set manually. Two thumbs up for the framerate setting, though I don't see myself going above 60 FPS (apart from the mouse-related bug, it's also more of my personal taste on framerates in general. 60 is already okay to me).

GManlives gives my arse an headache.

"For people who generally don't know what they are talking about" -

No shit buddy.

I love the new updates to the port! Proper widescreen, Steam release, DEH loading, and gyro aiming are all A+ additions that I frankly did not see coming. The gyro aiming in particular helps tremendously for me on console once I got used to it.

That being said, while I understand wanting more enemies in UV+, I think multiplayer items/enemies should be a separate toggle on the level select. I also think the toggle plus the UV+ option should be on the New Game menu's difficulty selection. UV+ is hidden away in the Level Select menu currently, which most gamers picking up Doom for the first time in however many years may just glance over.

Another useful little thing that could be put into the UI is a checkmark on the Master Levels or also the Level Select, so you know which levels youve actually beaten. Could be more than a checkmark, could be a symbol that shows the highest level youve completed that level on. Just throwing out a few thoughts that crossed my head.

18 hours ago, Gez said:

Yes it would be, and yes it is.

To be fair, there have been more than a few people who've attempted to make "Doom... but in Unity!" (or "Duke 3D... but in Unity!" or whatever other game) so the default assumption being that Unity replaces the entire engine can be excused from a neophyte who didn't especially care... But it cannot be excused from an "influencer" who's made several videos on the topic already and who could have cleared out all his misconceptions and misunderstanding by reading the real Doom Wiki.

I was doing some idle Googling of the Doom Unity port, when I ran across this thread on the Unity forums that was full of people who seemed to think that Doom had been rebuilt in the Unity engine. This lead me down another rabbit hole in the form of a Twitter post which had comments speculating that this alleged rebuild was some kind of ploy to get around the GPL. I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that couldn't be changed no matter what Bethesda/Zenimax put out. Even if it could, there's so many copies of the original Doom games out there that they would be impossible to stamp out without inducing some kind of major Streisand effect.

Yes, corporations are greedy and evil, but they're also lazy. Why bother spending the money to hire people skilled enough to entirely rebuild a decades-old game in a new engine, to look and feel pretty much the same as it did before? In order to fight an uphill battle against a community and playerbase that has built up a massive archive of content and a plethora of source ports of their own? That doesn't make sense.

24 minutes ago, NoXion said:

This lead me down another rabbit hole in the form of a Twitter post which had comments speculating that this alleged rebuild was some kind of ploy to get around the GPL. I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that couldn't be changed no matter what Bethesda/Zenimax put out. 

The real problem with this theory (aside from the fact that it's the original engine anyway), is that isn't how GPL works, at all. 

You can license your own code however you like. Zenimax/Bethesda/id Software own Doom's code, they thus own the ability to license their internal copy however they see fit, including keeping it closed. That's how Doom already has two public licences right now (GPLv2 and Doomlic).

Just because you release code as GPL, that doesn't make everything associated with it retroactively GPL, that would be beyond absurd. 

If you were to completely ignore the above because you live your life with your head permanently encased in a butt, there is an additional problem; This enters true mind fuck territory when you remember that GPL has an explicitly outlined clause that enables relicensing or suspension of otherwise required conditions with permission from all associated authors of the relevant code. Because id Software are the only relevant author of their own source release, they would just need to ask them for permission. 

Who they are. They are themselves. 

"hey, us, can we use our code in a non GPL context?" 

"why yes, also us, by all means." 

Non existent problem solved. 

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

This enters true mind fuck territory when you remember that GPL has an explicitly outlined clause that enables relicensing or suspension of otherwise required conditions with permission from all associated authors of the relevant code.

That clause is kind of pointless anyway since that's how copyright works on a fundamental level. Direct permission from the author(s) of a work can always override any licenses given to other parties.

I had a dream last night that they added a mod to the Unity Port. This is my second DOOM related dream ever. It was a fake mod that added two new weapons to maps that had a similar style to BTSX. I wish I could explain it more, but it was literally one part of a dream (that turned out to be a nightmare).