Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

9 hours ago, chemo said:

Considering how minor these issues are, combined with the costs associated with QA and getting patches certified, I don't really blame Bethesda for not wanting to pursue this right now.

This is nowhere near a "Fresh Supply" situation.

It's still quite a shame that you need to stick to EX if you want to load a PWAD with new graphics.

6 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

It's still quite a shame that you need to stick to EX if you want to load a PWAD with new graphics.

i'm pretty sure the -file parameter still works.

15 minutes ago, rustygizzard said:

i'm pretty sure the -file parameter still works.

The thing is Doom 64 on Steam will flag use of PWADs as a "cheat" for some stupid reason and will lock you out of getting any achievements. I'm not sure why that was a good idea for Nightdive to put an anti-cheat lockout for achievements just for loading PWADs into the game. Some players ran into this annoying problem when trying to use a PWAD that was supposed to restore the original Doom 64 medkits and another PWAD that was supposed to get around the weapon sprites looking uglier with the broken DirectX 11 shaders (though doesn't fix the broken shaders entirely, obviously).

2 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

The thing is Doom 64 on Steam will flag use of PWADs as a "cheat" for some stupid reason and will lock you out of getting any achievements. I'm not sure why that was a good idea for Nightdive to put an anti-cheat lockout for achievements just for loading PWADs into the game. Some players ran into this annoying problem when trying to use a PWAD that was supposed to restore the original Doom 64 medkits and another PWAD that was supposed to get around the weapon sprites looking uglier with the broken DirectX 11 shaders (though doesn't fix the broken shaders entirely, obviously).

.... Broken DirectX11 shaders? What is the issue there?

22 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

.... Broken DirectX11 shaders? What is the issue there?

The stock DirectX 11 shaders in Doom 64 are outdated, which messes up pixel scaling on sprites and distorts them to some degree. Here is an example along with how it should look like.

22E6F64F7EAC868DF8379EB0B2F800CBFEEAA60F

DD66543509ED99FE2B6CFC0E9D5817DE8B150F8E

Kaiser himself has acknowledge the issue with the outdated stock DirectX 11 shaders causing this issue with sprites on the Nightdive Discord server and thankfully provided ways to fix it, though sadly I doubt we'll see it patched official thanks to Bethesda.

My other issue is that the default.cfg file inside the Doom64.kpf file for some strange reason the game has Use mapped to both A button and the Left Trigger for controller, which caused a very annoying problem where every time I try to sprint through doors, it would shut itself close as I try to enter through them. This lead me to believe there was a bug in the game initially until I found where the mistake in the game's default.cfg file, so I had to not only unbind it through the options, but also modify the default.cfg inside the game's files to make sure it doesn't bind Use on Left Trigger again if I reset my settings.

Edited by AmethystViper : Adding another issue with the PC version of Doom 64.

The thing is Doom 64 on Steam will flag use of PWADs as a "cheat" for some stupid reason and will lock you out of getting any achievements.

Not unusual at all, nor really unfair. It'd be too easy to craft mods that would gain you basically every achievement instantly.

8 minutes ago, chungy said:

Not unusual at all, nor really unfair.

But does it not allow to ever get an achievement again? If that's so, then I would say it's unfair. If you can just exit, then get the trophy without the mod, then I get it. 

3 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

If you can just exit, then get the trophy without the mod, then I get it. 

That is indeed the case.

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

But does it not allow to ever get an achievement again? If that's so, then I would say it's unfair. If you can just exit, then get the trophy without the mod, then I get it. 

I think it just locks you out of getting achievements for the session that the anti-cheat flag was activated, though either way I modded the things I wanted to fix with the PC port of Doom 64 to make it permanent and not set the flag off before Sui's Hack plugin was available to work around the issue.

I was actually referring to the graphical issues @SteelPH brought up here. The last I heard about it was a couple of pages later:

On 3/25/2020 at 9:20 AM, Gez said:

Makes sense with Doom64's index-based approach to retrieving graphic lumps.

Like, you have the alphabet: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Then you replace three letters, but you do that by loading them separately: abcdfghjklmopqrstuvwxyzEIN

Now when you look for the 15th letter, it's no longer 'o', it's now 'r'.

Probably solution: replace all sprites.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, Edward850 said:

Just note we currently consider this a bug. Probably don't resort to that just yet.

23 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I modded the things I wanted to fix with the PC port of Doom 64 to make it permanent

You might be able to edit doom64.wad itself and not set off the trigger.

Keyword is "might", I haven't tried it. You're responsible for yourself if you cheat all the achievements in (which in itself probably doesn't really matter)

1 minute ago, chungy said:

You might be able to edit doom64.wad itself and not set off the trigger.

Keyword is "might", I haven't tried it. You're responsible for yourself if you cheat all the achievements in (which in itself probably doesn't really matter)

I can attest to modding my game's DOOM64.WAD file with SLADE just to restore the original medkits and fix the offsets of the weapon sprites (namely the chaingun since you can see it move out the game screen while it's firing), and it did not set the anti-cheat flag as I was able to get Steam achievements ("Secret Sleuth" and "RVNH3TICD3M0???" at the time) after modding my game with those changes at least.

4 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

Probably because it'd be easy to cheat some of the achievements, as others have said.

The stock DirectX 11 shaders in Doom 64 are outdated, which messes up pixel scaling on sprites and distorts them to some degree. Here is an example along with how it should look like.

Hide contents

22E6F64F7EAC868DF8379EB0B2F800CBFEEAA60F

DD66543509ED99FE2B6CFC0E9D5817DE8B150F8E

Kaiser himself has acknowledge the issue with the outdated stock DirectX 11 shaders causing this issue with sprites on the Nightdive Discord server and provided a ways to fix it, though sadly I doubt we'll see it patched official thanks to Bethesda.

You know i was expecting a half-assed response but this surprised me. I didn't know any of this, thank you for this great response.

26 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

>achievements break user mods

Nothing's really broken though. Easily cheating achievements is just disabled (and not very hard to workaround if you really want to cheat them)

8 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

You know i was expecting a half-assed response but this surprised me. I didn't know any of this, thank you for this great response.

You're welcome, and yeah, this issue was documented in this Steam forum thread with comparisons between the outdated DirectX 11 shaders when switching to another graphics API (OpenGL or Vulkan) in the PC version of Doom 64 and where the solutions to the issue came from.

I'm going to change the topic, now. 

I just finished Final DOOM, and wow! It was good! I played Evilution months ago, and recently finished it, and played Plutonia in a week and a half! It was great! I prefer Plutonia more than Evilution, but they are both amazing. I thought Evilution perfected design, but were just Meh on Demon placement and use. While Plutonia was good in design (but great in that level at the end that was a city with lava underneath), and great in Enemy usage! 10/10 for Evilution, and 13/10 for Plutonia! great job! Now on my add-on playlist, I have BTSX Ep. 2, and depending on when I finish that, I might play the rest of NEIS. So fun! 

Something that I'm really glad with the downloadable version of Final Doom with the Unity port is that they seem to be based off the id Anthology version; the original Final Doom release of TNT had a missing yellow keycard in MAP31 which required a separate PWAD to address, but id Anthology version had fixed the missing keycard bug.

Original:
dosbox_2020-09-16_02-01-20.png.a04c046a293f47a3ee71e7649f897141.png

Unity port:
2300_20200915103754_1_720p.png.6652ad62aa94bdf9dbc6b192d4d5847e.png

Thank you Nerve and @sponge for using this bug fixed version of Final Doom for the Unity port!

The only problem with that is the anthology version still has a bug with one of the shotgunners at the end getting stuck and preventing any of the others from spawning. revengeofthestuckjerk.png.56f4020f6b31b2d26d68af63cae5a7f4.png

It was fixed in tnt31.wad and the PS3 version.

noticed that if you edit the red crosses back into the custom wads they are extremely crash prone for some reason? the first time i tried it out TNT crashed as soon as you open the first door, the second time MAP01 wouldn't load at all. not a huge deal obviously with the mouse issues on the pc port and especially since i'm assuming editing the add-ons causes some issues, but just something i noticed. if you read this sponge, tell whoever that had the idea to half-censor the ports instead of fully removing the wolfenstein references and the crosses it's much appreciated. small detail, but i'd rather have the half-censorship than nothing lol.

52 minutes ago, rustygizzard said:

noticed that if you edit the red crosses back into the custom wads they are extremely crash prone for some reason? the first time i tried it out TNT crashed as soon as you open the first door, the second time MAP01 wouldn't load at all. not a huge deal obviously with the mouse issues on the pc port and especially since i'm assuming editing the add-ons causes some issues, but just something i noticed. if you read this sponge, tell whoever that had the idea to half-censor the ports instead of fully removing the wolfenstein references and the crosses it's much appreciated. small detail, but i'd rather have the half-censorship than nothing lol.

Did you exported the original sprites as *.PNG files or exported them as *.Lmp files? When I was exporting the original DOS version's sprites just as *.PNG then importing them back into the Unity port's IWAD caused the game to crash, but exporting the original sprites as *.Lmp files and importing those into the Unity port's IWADs, I haven't experienced any crashes since. I'm guessing if the files aren't recognized as "Graphic (Doom)" in SLADE it would cause the crashes with the IWADs.

SLADE_2020-09-16_13-56-52.png.c916f688a829feb3b4ab5687d97ccb23.png

I also went and tried to port over the the tnt31.wad files into the Unity port's TNT IWAD and I was able to fix bugged shotgunners not spawning at the end of MAP31, though I'm not sure if it was intentional or not for the Cyberdemon/Revenants to spawn on the ground or be floating on some invisible platform? I tried the DOS version of TNT with the tnt31.wad patch on Ultra-Violence and one time I had a Cyberdemon spawn as if it was floating above area before the two thrones, then when I tried the Unity port's TNT with the same patch inserted to its IWAD and the Cyberdemon was on the ground in the same area.

52 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

weird, i double checked and i am putting the lmp files in. the thing is the first time i did it i never exported the sprites, i just deleted the green crosses and dragged the red crosses straight in, but tnt still crashes as soon as i open MAP01. also noticing that the program seems to crash when i close it? very strange.

23 minutes ago, rustygizzard said:

i just deleted the green crosses and dragged the red crosses straight in

The way you are trying to replace the green cross medkits with the red ones *may* have something to do with it if it's messing up the order the lumps of the IWADs were originally in. The way I did was:

1. Export the original red cross medkits from the DOS version's IWAD to a convenient location on my computer with SLADE.

2. Look for the green cross medkits in the Unity version's IWADs in SLADE, right-click their entry → click Import on the file I'm trying to replace → import the red cross medkits with their matching equivalent and adjust offsets when necessary to match their original offsets.

3. Save the changes.

23 minutes ago, rustygizzard said:

also noticing that the program seems to crash when i close it? very strange.

I sometimes see my game producing crash logs as well though I'm not getting outright game crashes (i.e. the Crash Handler popping up when it happens) when I close my game. Could be me forgetting that I was getting crashes from trying to mod the game and failing or something else that's causing it.

As a general reminder, this port has the same restrictions on sprite replacements vanilla has, and not following those restrictions to the letter will result in a crash due to the way this data is managed. 

In general, if you replace a sprite it needs to be in between the markers and you can't just replace some sprites in a PWAD, either all or none of them. 

This was managed in vanilla using the tool deutex, and Chocolate requires -merge to break the rule itself (essentially acting as deutex). 

So there's nothing new going on here. Just a fairly rude reminder of how modding worked prior to ports like Boom. 

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

So there's nothing new going on here. Just a fairly rude reminder of how modding worked prior to ports like Boom. 

not rude at all to me at least! i never modded textures or sprites when i worked with (vanilla) doom prior but i never really took on any major projects that required it either. it's cool to learn things like this so thank you!