Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

REKKR got seriously hard there at the end of E1. Those one-eyed creatures were really aggressive, and the Pain Elemental replacement (I'm assuming since they shoot out the eyes) were incredibly difficult. I'm trying E2, and it started where the last episode left off, with incredible difficulty. Does anyone have any tips? Because I'm not doing so well with the game right now, and I feel like there is something I'm missing. 

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Does anyone have any tips?

Shoot at the enemies until they die.

Though seriously, don't pick UV as the default skill in map sets, its skill curve is much higher than what it used to be.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Does anyone have any tips?

Spam runes everywhere when you can. Save them for more difficult situations in general. The soul launcher is also pretty powerful, but is a little less consistent on damage, being based off the plasma projectile.

Otherwise dodge like Neo.

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

REKKR got seriously hard there at the end of E1. Those one-eyed creatures were really aggressive, and the Pain Elemental replacement (I'm assuming since they shoot out the eyes) were incredibly difficult. I'm trying E2, and it started where the last episode left off, with incredible difficulty. Does anyone have any tips? Because I'm not doing so well with the game right now, and I feel like there is something I'm missing. 

The greatest difficult that REKKR has is adapt to the new weapons and monsters behaviours.
I struggle like you with how difficult the first chapter seems at first.
My recomendation is that you play the first chapter again until you get used to the new mechanics, or at least a few maps. Experiment with how the Rune Staff lay out the rune bombs as they can be shoot to monster that are upward and they do damage not only with the explosion but also when the rune hit the enemies, know in wich situations the SSG replacement is useful and against what enemies, and foremost of all, don't let any eye alive, they resurrect other enemies much like the Arch-vile do and they fly everywhere.
The Soul Launcher is your main weapon for sure. Also, ammo is scarce sometimes, so learn how to use the axe and punches with those melee only enemies if needed.

After you get used to them, you will notice that REKKR has a really good balance on their weapons and enemies and its not that unforgiving like it seemed at first.
And seriously, you will not come up with better maps. To this day, REKKR is the only megawad that has it all for me, the ebst maps, the best weapons, the best enemies, the best difficulty, the best mechanics, the best music.
I'm still in awe just remembering some maps of this marvelous total conversion.
But the first secret map, @Revae ... Never tried soo many times any map.
So simple yet so difficult.
Just Amazing!

I've completed my analysis of the Microsoft version of REKKR, and apart from several new assets being added to account for the new port-exclusive lumps, the only major change I could find was that a decorative bust of a female was censored to cover the unspeakable bits on her chestal region.

By revealing the following spoiler, you must agree that you are at least 18 years of age and have an adult present to provide proper supervision (originals on the left and replacements on the right):

Spoiler

CpVj1c1.png

Aside from that, the FWATER and NUKAGE flats were redone to increase the number of animated frames, a "Playe" was added to the credits lump, and the dog's speed was reduced from 18 to 11.

1 hour ago, Revenant100 said:

Hide contents   Hide contents

CpVj1c1.png

Yeah, but tbh I like the new one better.

5 hours ago, Syntax said:

As far as features go I really just want a full screen option with a minimal HUD. Great job on the port guys, and thank you for REKKR!

An option to use the Splitscreen HUD in single player would be a simple way to implement this

Spoiler

vOJqEUILiZAVy9KCO66gQXLVGxjbztZN4lpXJ58d

13 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

I've completed my analysis of the Microsoft version of REKKR, and apart from several new assets being added to account for the new port-exclusive lumps, the only major change I could find was that a decorative bust of a female was censored to cover the unspeakable bits on her chestal region.

By revealing the following spoiler, you must agree that you are at least 18 years of age and have an adult present to provide proper supervision (originals on the left and replacements on the right):

Reveal hidden contents

CpVj1c1.png

Aside from that, the FWATER and NUKAGE flats were redone to increase the number of animated frames, a "Playe" was added to the credits lump, and the dog's speed was reduced from 18 to 11.

Where are the millons of fans figthing for Hitler Moustache now, as we need to figth for decorative tiddies.

17 hours ago, icyjiub said:

They've really done a number to fix up this port and I love that people outside of the doom community have an easy way to get access to community content, there are still a few bugs & feature requests I can think of off the top of my head, and I wanted @sponge to see them,

• Ask Perkistan if they can use his high quality doom sound effects pack. REKKR definitely uses 44.1 khz audio for it's sounds, so their engine supports it, and having crispier sounds in the vanilla game is a very baseline bit of literal remastering.

I would absolutely love this and honestly it seems like a no-brainer. Even if it was an optional add-on, it would be great to use the high-quality sounds. Since this is an official port, I wonder if it’s possible to just use the original sounds (unless the originals were compressed or something) instead of relying on a community mod.

12 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

#1, this bit of censorship is fucking hilarious to me. imagine the absolute outrage at the removal of boob if everyone was so pissed about the medikits and the nazi imagery. #2, your analysis of these minor details is always hilarious, thank you for the laugh.

2 hours ago, thebriancasey said:

Since this is an official port, I wonder if it’s possible to just use the original sounds (unless the originals were compressed or something)

Most likely.

See this: https://bobbyprincemusic.blogspot.com/2017/08/boss-sounds-in-duke-nukem-3d.html

It's about Duke Nukem 3D, but I don't think there was much change in the process compared to Doom (except that in DN3D, the sound compression is generally even worse than in Doom, where it never goes lower than 11025 Hz). Relevant part:

As I've mentioned in at least one other post, I record sounds whenever I travel (or hear some local, usable sound). I've been to quite a few zoos, several rain forests and other places where I might luck up on some really usable sounds. Of course, I've made use of sound effect CD's too.

A lot of the mechanical sounds I used in Duke 3D were recorded at Apogee headquarters. The coke machine: coin servo, drink supply mechanism, coins dropping in the change slot, hum of the refrigeration unit, etc. The copier cycling. The urinal flushing. The general "buzz" of multiple conversations at one time. The sky was the limit.

In recent years, I have saved the multitrack audio software files and all of the tracks' raw effects, settings, audio effects, etc. so I know how I came up with the sounds.

For Duke 3D, in those megabyte hard drive days, I would not have had disk space to store all of the raw effects I used, especially given the number of final effects that were required. Besides the effects, I also edited all of the voice over files, and there were many hundred's of those since the final voice overs were not chosen until the edited ones were completed. Add to that the rush of having to complete sound effects "yesterday," there was really no time to think about keeping track of anything more than getting things done.

There's a number of sounds that have been sourced, but not all -- since Bobby Prince mentions using his own personal collection of recorded sounds, it's likely many of the unidentified sounds were from him.

I haven't found any evidence of sounds at higher qualities than what shipped in the retail game, and I have looked quite a bit. Unless someone outside of id has them, they are likely lost to time.

As mentioned, the bust was covered up since we do not have an ESRB descriptor for nudity on our M rating, so better safe than sorry. I do also think the replacement looks better, though.

As nice as it would be to use the high quality sound pack there's likely some licensing issues that would go along with using sounds from that library, unless of course ID still has it lying around (although I assume it was Bobby's license). Something small like a .wad file floating around on the web isn't something Sound Ideas would likely want to chase after, but I'm sure it would be a risk for a big publisher to do.
It would be nice if they did still retain the license (or otherwise have their own) to these same libraries and use the info on the sources to recreate the sounds themselves. 

a good majority of the high quality sounds do exist but i'm guessing we more than likely won't get them in this port due to the legal hell of licensing. however, i'm not gonna permanently rule them out because of all of the surprises that have already happened with this port! bobby may possibly still have some of the lost sounds, and he definitely has more knowledge on the subject. it might be worth contacting him to see if he would be interested in helping out with this.

2 hours ago, kwc said:

It would be nice if they did still retain the license (or otherwise have their own) to these same libraries and use the info on the sources to recreate the sounds themselves. 

They're royalty-free collections. You buy the collection and then you can use them forever in as many products as you want. And the price is rather reasonable, too: just $995 (currently half price at $498) which makes it affordable to even indie studios

You can be sure that id Software (and their publisher Bethesda, and their soon-to-be new corporate overlords Microsoft) all already own it, it'd be really surprising if they didn't.

31 minutes ago, Gez said:

Bethesda ... Microsoft... all already own it, it'd be really surprising if they didn't.

You're absolutely right, I don't know why I overlooked that, there's evidence in that with games like Age of Empires, and among all of their collective subsidiaries it would be pretty strange if the license didn't turn up somewhere. Welp, I guess there's is the opportunity that they could potentially work on an official higher-fidelity sound pack in the future. :)

You know what I just thought about? What if somebody who doesn't follow update notes, or DOOM media just finds REKKR on their add-on screen? They must be so confused on how that got there. They would probably think it was an accident or something. LoL

6 hours ago, sponge said:

we do not have an ESRB descriptor for nudity on our M rating

But, strictly speaking, Doom has always been about a smorgasbord of unashamedly exposed demon nipples, taut (and sometimes cybernetically-enhanced) buttocks, and other unidentified orifices. What's an extra bosom gonna hurt?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say human nudity is different to the esrb.

This is going to make an HDoom addon trickier to implement though I imagine...

Spoiler

Also the whole dehacked only thing.

9 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

You know what I just thought about? What if somebody who doesn't follow update notes, or DOOM media just finds REKKR on their add-on screen? They must be so confused on how that got there. They would probably think it was an accident or something. LoL

I feel like you're in a different place to everyone else on this thread. It's kinda funny.

On mardi 22 septembre 2020 at 4:25 PM, sponge said:

Could it be possible to slightly amend the text here?

Limited License: The DOOM widescreen image assets (the “Assets”) are licensed to you for use with DOOM and DOOM II and may only be distributed as incorporated into, or layered with, a WAD file. The Assets may not be used or distributed in any other fashion, and may not be monetized or distributed commercially. All rights not expressly granted in this Limited License are hereby reserved to id Software LLC. id Software LLC reserves the right to revoke this Limited License in its reasonable discretion if the license terms are violated. By clicking “Download,” you agree to be bound by the terms of this Limited License.

The problem being that many ports allow mods to be distributed as zip archives, which are more practical than WAD archives especially for large projects.

Couldn't Christopher Lovell be contacted to ask permission for a widescreen version of the SIGIL in-game graphics?

12 hours ago, Gez said:

and may only be distributed as incorporated into, or layered with, a WAD file. 

I noticed the same thing when I saw that id-thesda-soft disclaimer.  Clearly some PK3 prejudice going on!

Anyone find that the analog controls in comparison to those in the Doom 64 port seem, off? It feels like it's nearly impossible to dial in good sensitivity settings. Either you always turn slow or you always turn fast. It feels like it's impossible to quickly flick to an area and then slowly line up your shot. It's one or the other. You're completely at the mercy of your sensitivity, to the point that aiming almost feels more digital than analog. The Doom 64 aiming is perfect and functions like what you'd expect gamepad first person controls to feel like. It's even worse when switching between handheld and controller mode on the Switch. What sensitivity settings works for one, very much doesn't work for the other. It's a shame, because the port is pretty amazing in every other regard than controls.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Love said:

Anyone find that the analog controls in comparison to those in the Doom 64 port seem, off? It feels like it's nearly impossible to dial in good sensitivity settings. Either you always turn slow or you always turn fast. It feels like it's impossible to quickly flick to an area and then slowly line up your shot. It's one or the other. You're completely at the mercy of your sensitivity, to the point that aiming almost feels more digital than analog. The Doom 64 aiming is perfect and functions like what you'd expect gamepad first person controls to feel like. It's even worse when switching between handheld and controller mode on the Switch. What sensitivity settings works for one, very much doesn't work for the other. It's a shame, because the port is pretty amazing in every other regard than controls.

I agree, the analog controls are still a bit weird, possibly deadzone or acceleration tuning issues.

ITS MUCH LESS OF A PROBLEM now that gyro motion controls are in and they removed a few frames of input lag, but it could definitely be a bit better.