Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

4 hours ago, Allard said:

Q1 and 2 on Steam are notoriously bad

Even lacking music, I'm not sure they're "notorious" but it's definitely not great :)

Maybe @sponge or someone can push the company to doing Quake 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

Maybe @sponge or someone can push the company to doing Quake 1 and 2.

Maybe it's actually being made, but it is a secret. I would love to play Quake on a flatscreen TV.

Heretic/Hexen on console first boys imo. But i agree, Quake/Quake II need console ports (not counting the X360 port of Quake II which has iffy controls imo). Also i think a lot of people here are playing these ports on Switch since it's an extremely popular console. I don't have a Switch (thx Nintendo for not making any available for like a year now) so i play Doom/Doom II on XB1.

Ever since the update i do find the analog turning fairly laggy but only with Vsync on. With it off it's great but then there is a shit ton of screen tearing (obviously). I just deal with it but my enjoyment of Doom has been brought down (due to that reason) since the update so i haven't been playing much Doom on console. There is only so much screen tearing i can take before it gives me a headache unfortunately.

I'm still excited for all of these new WADs though (and now a TC!) and i love checking them out. Keep 'em comin'!

If quake and Quake 2 ever get ported, I hope they can get the N64 exclusive content, Quake 2 N64 has a whole new set of levels that havent seen the light of day on PC yet iirc.

10 hours ago, Devalaous said:

If quake and Quake 2 ever get ported, I hope they can get the N64 exclusive content, Quake 2 N64 has a whole new set of levels that havent seen the light of day on PC yet iirc.

it would be nice to have these levels either integrated into the normal campaign (like in Forsaken Remastered) or as a new expansion.

This topic has went from Unity DOOM, to the idea for a Quake remake. I wonder who started it, anyway (definitely not me).

Well the thread title is Unity Port without mentioning Doom, though it's on a Console Doom subforum.

9 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

This topic has went from Unity DOOM, to the idea for a Quake remake. I wonder who started it, anyway (definitely not me).

Sponge and co do read these forums, so interest in a future project like a Quake port could get noted. Theres definitely interest from us. And with this whole new Microsoft ownership? Who knows whats possible now.

On the flipside, could also do with a Wolfenstein 3D port with SoD and the mission packs attached. Modernising id's old masterpeices for today's audience with new official ports has no real downsides.

I think porting high-resolution and high-framerate Quake on modern consoles is easier than doing it with Doom :D

On samedi 3 octobre 2020 at 5:48 AM, CyberDreams said:

Heretic/Hexen on console first

We'd need ZeniMax (or, I guess, Microsoft now) to buy Raven Software for that to happen.

21 minutes ago, Gez said:

We'd need ZeniMax (or, I guess, Microsoft now) to buy Raven Software for that to happen.

Really, they would have to buy Activision. 

Also, I was the one who first mentioned the Unity Quake. That post I made above was a joke.

Yeah, the issue is actually Activision, not Raven, if I get that right.

They're also the reason some Hexen expansions and Heretic II are pretty much impossible to find too. What a waste...

As for a Quake remaster, I'd definitely be up for it, even Quake 2 since it had a set of unique levels specific to the version on N64. I mean, we got Doom 64 on all main platforms now, so this really shouldn't be a strech. Just get Kaiser & co. for the job and they'll gladly do it 😉.

The same apply for Hell2pay and Perdition's Gate.
We all know that those are commercial pwads, but the owner is...Atari?
Who give a damn for those two pwads aside from us?
But well, Atari may think that they could exploit it onto a gold mine ;/

I decided to move the talk about Unity Quake to its own topic, so we can use this one to talk about DOOM. 

Getting back on topic, @sponge is there any possibility of fixing the lack of proper music looping with the pre-recorded SC-55 music? I noticed that some tracks, like D_E1M1.ogg, have some silent filler at the end of where the respective music tracks ends, and cutting that part off with Audacity on my end seemed to made the playback more seemless after testing it out so far with E1M1's music.

19 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

Getting back on topic, @sponge is there any possibility of fixing the lack of proper music looping with the pre-recorded SC-55 music? I noticed that some tracks, like D_E1M1.ogg, have some silent filler at the end of where the respective music tracks ends, and cutting that part off with Audacity on my end seemed to made the playback more seemless after testing it out so far with E1M1's music.

The problem with that is you will be cutting off the reverb tails. This isn't an issue playing back from a real MIDI device, since it's all done in real-time. I suppose you could start playing back the song from the beginning at the "end point", allowing the song to be played on top of itself for a short time, but something tells me that would be a decent amount of work since we're talking about the Doom source code and not audio middleware like FMod or WWise.

Or maybe the audio playback is handled by Unity? I have no idea, just a stab in the dark.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:42 PM, Devalaous said:

Sponge and co do read these forums, so interest in a future project like a Quake port could get noted. Theres definitely interest from us. And with this whole new Microsoft ownership? Who knows whats possible now.

On the flipside, could also do with a Wolfenstein 3D port with SoD and the mission packs attached. Modernising id's old masterpeices for today's audience with new official ports has no real downsides.

I was actually just playing the Xbox 360 port and that one could really use some updating (an auto-map option for one). Also the music is slow for some reason as well as the turning sensitivity being slow. Anyways i don't want to go offtopic again so this is the last i'll talk about it here.

18 hours ago, Gez said:
On 10/2/2020 at 10:48 PM, CyberDreams said:

Heretic/Hexen on console first

18 hours ago, Gez said:

Oops, i totally forgot about that. It's Raven Software not id Software...

Anyways, back to Doom talk.

I just realized something

Some kind of trickery or error here or something? The automap gives the right name but says it's MAP28.

EDIT: The map I'm entering is MAP31: Slamdance with the Sun God

P/S: I hate this map.

Edited by ZeroTheEro

That's strange because I don't see a level named The Spirit World in the original Back to Saturn X: Episode 2 or in the PC version's BTSX 2 downloaded from Bethesda-net within Doom II Classic and I can't seem to replicate the issue on PC. so there must be some weird conflict with Doom II and BTSX 2 going on here with the Switch version.

Another thing I found strange that in the gif of the October 23, 2019 Update of the Unity ports, the .gif showing off how downloadable add-ons work showed these:

vivaldi_2020-10-05_14-07-50.png.e148fc807e698f3cdcfb33a58285c302.png vivaldi_2020-10-05_14-08-09.png.12453c50146a422ad73fbf8a8a084a26.png

So multiple WAD loading was apparent at one point with the Unity port on PC (and possibly mobile versions) but scrapped? Could something like this be possible to re-implement this feature in a later update? Because one of things hurting the modding support for PC players along with mods that are sadly going to crash the Unity port is the lack of multi-WAD loading. While on the subject of the add-on menu's UI, when I plugged a DualShock 4 controller with he PC version, I can remember it showed Xbox prompts instead of PlayStation ones.

12 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I was actually just playing the Xbox 360 port and that one could really use some updating (an auto-map option for one).

Seeing as Super 3D Noah's Ark is definitely using ECWolf which itself provides an automap (in addition to dedicated side stepping) I could see a modern Wolf3D re-release using ECWolf. I don't think anyone really wants to preserve the DOS code.

13 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

I could see a modern Wolf3D re-release using ECWolf.

ECWolf is GPLv2.

7 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

ECWolf is GPLv2.

Hm, makes me wonder what they did with the aforementioned Christian game.

average days between releases is about 42. So you know, only like 29 more days until the next release. 

1 hour ago, Chip said:

Oh lit_Gamer commented :D

But, something is of...

>;{

*stare deeply into that new User Name*

CHIP.png.432c2dc24d0ce4d26940a9d43c0b4ce4.png

*suddeny realices his little friend has grown and we are dying as we read this*

:(

Oh, life is bigger
It's bigger
Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to
The distance in your eyes
Oh no, I've said too much
I set it up

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough

I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

13 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

I just realized something

Some kind of trickery or error here or something? The automap gives the right name but says it's MAP28.

EDIT: The map I'm entering is MAP31: Slamdance with the Sun God

P/S: I hate this map.

I just took a look at the wad in slade 3, and took a look at DMAPINFO

map "MAP31" "Slamdance with the Sun God"
{
	next = "MAP16"
	sky1 = "SKY3"
	music = "D_EVIL"
	episodenumber = 1
	mapnumber = 28
}

endsequence "placeholder"
{
    text = "Working around a little bug here.."
	music = "D_VICTOR"
	flat = "flat5_3"
}

Not sure if this has anything to do with it.  But I'm guessing its because MAP31 is set to have a map number of 28. Also I wonder what the bug is that the endsequnce is talking about.

Anyway it looks like its a feature and not a bug.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:36 AM, sponge said:

There's no built-in solution for loop points that I could find in Unity.

The straight-forward solution would be via the music audio itself: Edit it down so that there's no silent gaps at the start of a song. Then, take any reverb trails from the end of the song, and mix them back into the start of the song. This would produce perfect gapless looping music, no code fix required.

The trade-off to the above solution is that the mixed-in reverb trails will be noticeable at the beginning of some tracks, but this is easily forgivable.

A couple more solutions that wouldn't require FMOD or WWISE:

1) Similar to the in-audio solution, you could have something like a miniature playlist, where you have two audio files per song: a short intro clip that plays the first couple bars of the song, and then a looping version of the complete song that plays immediately afterwards.

2) If you'd rather avoid the task of editing a ton of music files, you also have "audioSource.timeSamples" at your disposal. Check when audio playback has reached a specific position at the end of the song where the reverb tail plays out, and then retrigger the music.

Edited by Lollie : Minor wording fixes