Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

3 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

I just got an update for the game on Steam but no patch notes (yet) from what I can tell.

Curious that the Bethesda.net launcher version hasn't gotten new patch notes since March 31, despite getting the same updates as Steam. Probably the fixes are too small to warrant a mention?

Has anyone else been getting the "Quit" menu when backing out of other things with the new update? I don't know if it's related to the update somehow, but backing out of any menus seems to trigger it. And I don't remember it doing that before the update. I'll try to get a screenshot of it in a moment too.

(EDIT: I booted up the game again and the "Quit" menu stopped showing up, so it might just have been a temporary glitch of some kind.)

1 hour ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Has anyone else been getting the "Quit" menu when backing out of other things with the new update? I don't know if it's related to the update somehow, but backing out of any menus seems to trigger it. And I don't remember it doing that before the update. I'll try to get a screenshot of it in a moment too.

(EDIT: I booted up the game again and the "Quit" menu stopped showing up, so it might just have been a temporary glitch of some kind.)

I ran into this issue one time even before the new update that came out today, sadly.

6 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I ran into this issue one time even before the new update that came out today, sadly.

I hope they fix it if it's a bug of some kind, or that someone figures out what's causing it at least.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, Chip said:

Okay, that is it. I have waited too long. Where the F*** is my Unity Quake?! ━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)

On 10/3/2020 at 8:01 PM, Chip said:

This topic has went from Unity DOOM, to the idea for a Quake remake. I wonder who started it, anyway (definitely not me).

On 10/4/2020 at 3:54 PM, Chip said:

Really, they would have to buy Activision. 

Also, I was the one who first mentioned the Unity Quake. That post I made above was a joke.

Your joke was no Quake.

You don't really need to make these meta-comments over several posts. IT makes you appear like you do that to look interesting, without sounding interesting.

Curiosity about what add-on will come next.

Why not Quake 2 official sourceport first. It's will be more easy if the problem it's with the music.

@sponge Another missing feature I hope that can be brought back in the Unity port is the Follow Mode for the automap and the ability to add/clear marks because it appears you can't do that anymore in the Unity port when it was possible in the original DOS version, along with the ability to use the Y and N keys to quit to main menu/desktop like in the original as well.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Your joke was no Quake.

You don't really need to make these meta-comments over several posts. IT makes you appear like you do that to look interesting, without sounding interesting.

It's padding for post count it seems.

Another thing about the port on Switch that seems to be coming back to haunt me is that over multiple times opening the pause menu:

• loading a quicksave sometimes will not make the pause screen go away after loading, they usually go away the second time you press quickload or cancel.
  • loading quicksaves may get dismiss the pause menu but often times you can hear the DSOOF while you move around (as if you reached the ends of the menu) and pressing cancel will dismiss it away
  • and finally after repeating the process of quicksaving and quickloading multiple times the menu would just give up working altogether, requiring a restart.

Also I might add this to a list of nitpick - saving should be disabled when you're dead. I attempted to save in vanilla and when I pressed enter to confirm the game forces me to pistol start.

Speaking of features I would love to seeing zooming in and out of the auto map using pinching on the switch version since the switch supports mutli touch and Doom 64 actually does use pinch controls as an option for zooming the auto map, one can even use one finger to move the map around. 

I think something broke or I may need to redownload the WADs on Switch. Just realized Sigil is showing E1 map names instead of its own.

EDIT: Yep, that did the trick. I wonder if it will fix MAP28 for BTSX-E2.

Edited by ZeroTheEro

Someone did mention early the downloadable add-on WADs in the Unity port don't sadly auto-update whenever they get patched, so manually updating them hopefully should fix the issue.

As much work as I know it is, it's honestly a shame there isn't online play. Not expecting anything like a server browser and 8+ player lobbies, just being able to play with friends who aren't Doom-savvy would be amazing.

My big pie-in-the-sky wish is Workshop support, having a repository for limit-removing WADs with dehacked lump support accessible with a click would be great for expanding the audience for custom content.

@sponge This player on Steam seems to be having some odd issues with Right Shift causing controls to not work properly (detailed here), and while I couldn't exactly reproduce the issue, I do notice my mouse cursor stops working properly when pressing Right Shift during gameplay or in menus, and holding down Right Shift while pressing keys on the Numpad stops the Numpad from switching weapons.

going slightly off-topic, it would be cool to see the doom and wolf RPGs ported to newer systems, not sure how worth it that would be but they're games i've been trying to play for a long time and they're also the most inaccessible. 

8 minutes ago, rustygizzard said:

going slightly off-topic, it would be cool to see the doom and wolf RPGs ported to newer systems, not sure how worth it that would be but they're games i've been trying to play for a long time and they're also the most inaccessible. 

Seeing both Doom RPGs,  the Wolfenstein RPG, and the Orcs and Elves games rereleased would be fantastic. Other than Playstation Doom, the Doom RPGs are the last of the unique Doom games that aren't on modern platforms at this time.

I believe some of the mobile/RPG id games have more than one version.

D2RPG has both Java and iOS, the same for Wolf RPG.

Orcs and Elves has both mobile and Nintendo DS.

D1RPG has Java and an advanced version you see in screenshots that might as well be lost entirely. (same for Resurrection, the Doom 2 on rails shooter)

These games in general are almost lost and don't really have any history of being "open" or modded.

There is two or one threads about modding or bringing them to pc from the Gerardo/Erick team.

In general, we might as well have to reach Carmack himself to bring them back.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Yeah sponge, why don't you click the "Add Online Multiplayer" button?

Make sure you hit the client/server toggle box, and not the client/client one.

10 hours ago, whatup876 said:

D1RPG has Java and an advanced version you see in screenshots that might as well be lost entirely. (same for Resurrection, the Doom 2 on rails shooter)

May I see at least one of those?

8 hours ago, Revae said:

Make sure you hit the client/server toggle box, and not the client/client one.

I play P2P but without the 2P :(

On 10/10/2020 at 4:17 AM, M_W said:

As much work as I know it is, it's honestly a shame there isn't online play. Not expecting anything like a server browser and 8+ player lobbies, just being able to play with friends who aren't Doom-savvy would be amazing.

I'd be happy to see Remote Play support get more polish at the very least, though from how it sounded, I have a feeling this would come down to reworking controller support + how inputs are bound in the controls screen. (eg: Decoupling the keyboard and first controller from sharing the Player 1 slot)

6 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

May I see at least one of those?

If you google Doom RPG, you'll find screenshots of the game with floor and ceiling textures and even one or two official trailers may show effects not present in the version you seen in other screenshots or Youtube videos.

I think IMX Doomer's tumblr blog has a post with a video of someone playing that rare version in their phone.

1 hour ago, whatup876 said:

I think IMX Doomer's tumblr blog has a post with a video of someone playing that rare version in their phone.

That version on the trailer is awesome.
I have a version on my old phone and i managed to get it working on my new one with J2ME Loader.

But mine is nowhere to look like that one.
Mine doesn't have floor or ceiling textures at all, and the animations are quite simple in comparison.

For anyone possibly having issues with the Unity port on PC with the menus not working or something, someone has confirmed to be a lack of certain Visual C++ Redistributable dependencies the Unity port requires mentioned here. @sponge I think this is be mentioned for the Unity port's minimum requirements should the actual minimum requirements of the Unity port do come to light.

The bigger issue is why don't they come bundled with it though.

Most games do that, and are automatically installed when first running them.

@sponge Hi, I have a small question if you don't mind.

I hope they won't remove Final Doom from sale right? Since it's included in the re-release. Thing is, buying Final Doom separately is the only way on steam to get the unaltered wads. Are you aware of anything regarding this?