Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

ok i bough doom 2 for the first time afterplaying it for years without ever buying it

the unity port is great but there are 2 things i would like to see

1: make the mouse sensibility sliders bigger i am maniac that uses windows with mouse sensibility on maximum and i play most games with it high so it feels really slow in the game when it is slower then i used on other ports

2: how is there no way to cap frames to 35 fps? i think i am one of the three people on earth who dislikes to play at 60 fps (because the mouse feels weird and the game looks kinda slow at 60)

iknow there is a 30 fps filter but thats too much and the originall dos version run at 35 (well technically more then that but still) i always cap my frames when i play on source ports be it gzdoom zandronum glboom and zdaemon just 30 fps sucks i need the 35 fps so it feels spot on how the hell isnt it a feature of the port?

(also i have never seen anyone saying this am i the only one who cares about this?)

4 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

2: how is there no way to cap frames to 35 fps? i think i am one of the three people on earth who dislikes to play at 60 fps (because the mouse feels weird and the game looks kinda slow at 60)

iknow there is a 30 fps filter but thats too much and the originall dos version run at 35 (well technically more then that but still) i always cap my frames when i play on source ports be it gzdoom zandronum glboom and zdaemon just 30 fps sucks i need the 35 fps so it feels spot on how the hell isnt it a feature of the port?

(also i have never seen anyone saying this am i the only one who cares about this?)

i do the same and downgrade to 320x200 every port i use, also nullifying every visual enhancement.

I want doom, and i want maps like their authors make them; the eye candy its not what i seek.

I played for a lot of time with that setting on DOS, and i don't like how ''shiny'' and ''polished'' every texture looks on larger resolutions.

i prefer the grainy look of the original at the exact 35 fps it played backthen.

On 4/25/2021 at 2:27 AM, Mr. Death said:

So I know I must sound like a broken record hear, but I was just watching a random video review of the Doom series and some of the comments mentioned the Xbox stuttering issue. It's worth mentioning that they are playing on an Xbox Series X, so I'm assuming it's an issue that affects all Xbox consoles (Series S/X & One S/X).

It's a well known issue and it's been mentioned on this thread many times since 2020. I personally wrote about it too, as I happen to have both PS4 and Xone versions of both Doom games and it only affects Xbox.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:14 AM, Mr. Death said:

I really wish I knew what was causing it for me then :/

Like I've said before, I always get excited every time a new add-on is announced, and immediately when I boot up the game I'm reminded that the stuttering issue is still there...

You're not alone, brother. I have go through that same experience with each add-on released, too. PS4 version is buttery smooth yet not the Xbox version. It's my only real regret in switching platforms.

The vsync toggle was such a life saver when it was added. No more input lag, it was great. Then to switch to Xbox and experience constant hitching, which seems to have gone unnoticed/inexperienced is particularly gutting.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, Allhailnewflesh said:

It's a well known issue and it's been mentioned on this thread many times since 2020. I personally wrote about it too, as I happen to have both PS4 and Xone versions of both Doom games and it only affects Xbox.

Considering how rough it is in comparison to PS4, it hasn't had much attention brought to it, at least on this thread.

Then again I may not have paid attention since I was on PS4 until early this year.

On 5/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, Allhailnewflesh said:

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that it was mainly just us three that had pointed out the issue before. Others have claimed they've never experienced any hitching/jerking/stuttering in the Xbox version, which is really weird considering how noticeable it is for us.

10 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

You're not alone, brother. I have go through that same experience with each add-on released, too. PS4 version is buttery smooth yet not the Xbox version. It's my only real regret in switching platforms.

The vsync toggle was such a life saver when it was added. No more input lag, it was great. Then to switch to Xbox and experience constant hitching, which seems to have gone unnoticed/inexperienced is particularly gutting.

Yep...

At this point I've pretty much just given up. I guess I'll just stick to playing on PC with a sourceport. I do really hope that the issue is being looked into, and that maybe it will be patched eventually. If/when that ever happens, I'll gladly jump back in and play through all of the add-ons!

On 5/10/2021 at 10:21 PM, Mr. Death said:

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that it was mainly just us three that had pointed out the issue before. Others have claimed they've never experienced any hitching/jerking/stuttering in the Xbox version, which is really weird considering how noticeable it is for us.

Yep...

At this point I've pretty much just given up. I guess I'll just stick to playing on PC with a sourceport. I do really hope that the issue is being looked into, and that maybe it will be patched eventually. If/when that ever happens, I'll gladly jump back in and play through all of the add-ons!

Odds of anything getting patched are extremely low. The game has had alot of bugs and shit that are gamebreaking since the september update, and the fact its went that long without an update tells me it won't be getting one.

2 minutes ago, THiEF said:

Odds of anything getting patched are extremely low. The game has had alot of bugs and shit that are gamebreaking since the september update, and the fact its went that long without an update tells me it won't be getting one.

yeah that reallu sucks i like the port but damn i just want higher mouse sensitivity options and the 35 fps limiter the bugs are annoying but i can live with then if thse two things get implemented

12 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

yeah that reallu sucks i like the port but damn i just want higher mouse sensitivity options and the 35 fps limiter the bugs are annoying but i can live with then if thse two things get implemented

Updates for the Unity are practically done by a one/two man team. Your best bet is Sponge. If not, its not the end of the world, i reckon.

I think the port is in a good spot now, but it would be so great to see it become even better! It's good that people try to help devs find the bugs ;D

6 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

I think the port is in a good spot now, but it would be so great to see it become even better! It's good that people try to help devs find the bugs ;D

I wish I could say the same thing. It really depends on the platform, at least as far as consoles are concerned. Switch has input lag and Xbox stutters. PS4 is great though

8 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

I wish I could say the same thing. It really depends on the platform, at least as far as consoles are concerned. Switch has input lag and Xbox stutters. PS4 is great though

I think this is not a coincidence and that PS4 just has the most sales of Classic Doom games so they paid most attention to it, the same happened in many other game cases

13 minutes ago, Allhailnewflesh said:

I think this is not a coincidence and that PS4 just has the most sales of Classic Doom games so they paid most attention to it, the same happened in many other game cases

No, that would imply and require a custom built version of Unity, that's simply not the case here. The port is the same regardless of platform, and Unity is Unity, deliberately so they didn't have to write any platform specific code.

I'm kind of wondering if the stutter people are feeling is related to frame interpolation. Unfortunately, Doom's internal 35fps doesn't scale well to any modern displays (at 60 or 120).

9 hours ago, chungy said:

I'm kind of wondering if the stutter people are feeling is related to frame interpolation. Unfortunately, Doom's internal 35fps doesn't scale well to any modern displays (at 60 or 120).

I don't think that would explain why the PS4 version is buttery smooth yet the Xbox version isn't 

13 hours ago, chungy said:

That's not a bad thought, but as @Cantleylads said that doesn't really explain why it's only happening on Xbox and not any other platforms. There's something else going on with Xbox specifically.

What you described though definitely fits what I'm experiencing. It feels like some sort of frame interpolation problem because it happens very consistently and in perfect rhythm. I hesitate to call it a "frame pacing" issue because it's not erratic, and there's never a moment where it's not stuttering/jerking.

I know others will probably disagree, but I personally think that this issue DOES effect all versions of the games on Xbox platforms. Those that don't experience it just might not be as sensitive to the hitching/jerking when playing. There's no other explanation why the problem persists after two fresh installs on two different Xbox consoles, let alone that @Allhailnewflesh and @Cantleylads both have played the game on other platforms and can attest that it only effects Xbox.

Again, the stuttering/jerking is subtle, but it's very annoying once you notice it...

Hoping a devs see this, the switch versions are still freezing after being put in sleep mode for around half an hour, ive updated to the latest version. Please fix this, i hate forgetting to save and losing progress of half a level. 

52 minutes ago, CarterKnighter said:

the switch versions are still freezing after being put in sleep mode for around half an hour, ive updated to the latest version. Please fix this, i hate forgetting to save and losing progress of half a level. 

maybe turn Vsync off? That's what I did to stop freezing on my PS4. 

Also, I could recommend not leaving a game when your halfway through the level, but it's your way of playing, so I guess it doesn't really matter. lol

Happy to see a newcomer to the forums! Welcome!

4 hours ago, Chip said:

maybe turn Vsync off? That's what I did to stop freezing on my PS4. 

Also, I could recommend not leaving a game when you're halfway through the level, but it's your way of playing, so I guess it doesn't really matter. lol

There is no vsync option on the Switch port.

I'm not sure what carterknighter's situation is, but in my situation, I have to leave my game to help customers out. I don't think they'd be patient enough to let me finish a level.

3 hours ago, Agent Slacker said:

There is no vsync option on the Switch port.

Then I guess we could rule that out. Are you having the same issue on your port as Carter is having? I don't think I've heard his issue stated before. 

29 minutes ago, Chip said:

Are you having the same issue on your port as Carter is having? I don't think I've heard his issue stated before. 

The freezing thing? It's happened to me a couple of times before; once or twice before a patch that was supposed to address this issue, and then once after the patch. This was after a fresh install as well.

I have a couple of questions that I've had on my mind for a while that I really would like to know the answer to. 

The first question concerns adding Mods to the Unity port. as far as I know, on the PC version of the port, you are able to load 1 DeHackEd Mod at a time, and I'm not sure if every mod works with every Add-on. So, is it possible that a future add-on could be a mod like Doom 4 Vanilla or Smooth Weapons? Or is it likely that console players will only be able to play WADs? 

The second question and 3 questions go together. My questions are about source ports (or at least their capabilities on the port). The first of the 2 questions is if this is possible to add a Source Port to the Unity Port? for example adding the silent teleporters from BOOM to the port, or adding BOOM itself. Now I know ID wants to keep the port vanilla, but I was just wondering that if they ever wanted to give the players the option of adding BOOM or GZDoom compatible WADs, it's possible for them to add those source ports to the port? They added DeHackEd support, which isn't a source port, and neither is it as complicated as those source ports, but I would still imagine it's at the very least possible to add the source ports to the engine. The third question has to do with licensing. If my second question is true, then how would the licensing for the ports work? Would ID have to search for all the owners of the port as they do with the WAD (which would be impossible for most ports, since almost all ports I know of deriving from BOOM in some way, which was made by TeamTNT which everybody knows has uncontactable authors) or could they just add the feature from the port or several features from it. I don't know if Tree, who created DeHackEd, is still contactable, so I'm not sure how Id added DeHackEd to the game (unless they did contact him). I don't know if either of these is possible, but I saw some conversation on the Forums about it, and I'm unsure if it was just simply a misunderstanding of the post from my end or actually what I thought it meant. 

Please, if anybody could respond with any information about any or all of my 3 questions, that would be great! Thank you in advance for the help!

1 hour ago, Chip said:

The first of the 2 questions is if this is possible to add a Source Port to the Unity Port?

Clarity of language; this already is a source port.

1 hour ago, Chip said:

but I was just wondering that if they ever wanted to give the players the option of adding BOOM or GZDoom compatible WADs

Boom's code is impossible to relicense without a séance. Gzdoom is very much strictly GPLv3 at this point (which you can't use on any console storefront, and likely in Unity itself either, linking exceptions won't work there), has at least one dead author, numerous outside contributions, a fucking shit load of incompatible logic to both Doom itself and the Unity shell it needs to run in, given it has its own OpenGL/Vulkan renderer and you can't just hotswap that in Unity.

1 hour ago, Chip said:

They added DeHackEd support

Dehacked just needs a working interpreter, any will do, and is the single most Doom compatible feature given it already was from the start.

Edited by Edward850

1 hour ago, Chip said:

Now I know ID wants to keep the port vanilla, but I was just wondering that if they ever wanted to give the players the option of adding BOOM or GZDoom compatible WADs, it's possible for them to add those source ports to the port?

The question is a bit confused.

Anyway, the short answer is no.

The long answer is that while there's no technical impossibility, there is a massive legal obstacle that makes this unfeasible as things stand. See, Boom and GZDoom and so on contain code under the infamous GPL, a license that require making the entire source code available if you borrow even just one line from GPL code. Now the funny thing is, the Doomnity code is full of stuff that id Software are legally forbidden to open source, because it's not actually their code. Like, for example, Unity itself and more importantly, everything that allows to run on a console or connect to Steam for cheevos and stuff. This kind of things. So to recap: plugging Boom in the official port means needing to first remove all the stuff id doesn't own, meaning having to replace the Unity engine by a new shell that can be open-sourced; and so that also means it won't be available on consoles anymore or have Steam cheevos. At this point there's no longer any benefit over just using a community-made source port, because you've lost all the perks of being The Official Port™.

@Gez and @Edward850 thank you both! You learn new things every day!

My first question about the Mods should probably go out to @sponge since he's the only one who would probably have any information on that. 

21 hours ago, Chip said:

as far as I know, on the PC version of the port, you are able to load 1 DeHackEd Mod at a time, and I'm not sure if every mod works with every Add-on. So, is it possible that a future add-on could be a mod like Doom 4 Vanilla or Smooth Weapons? Or is it likely that console players will only be able to play WADs? 

DeHackEd in general is only reliable one-at-a-time. That's how the original DOS program worked, and most ports with DeHackEd can only really reliably use one at a time. It's because of the way that DeHackEd modifies static constants and strings, two DEH files that conflict with each other have no clear resolution.

Some of the official addons already use DeHackEd, and console players are enjoying the benefits from it. It's just that you need to use the PC version in order to load your own unofficial mods into the port.

Also though Gez and Edward already elaborated the other question, I'd add also that source ports aren't just a mod for Doom, they modify the engine in some way (sometimes to port the game to a new OS/platform, sometimes to add features, sometimes both...). The Unity port is conceptually the same in nature. Source ports can't "load" other source ports within them, the notion doesn't really make sense (ask yourself this: can you add GZDoom to Chocolate Doom?). It may be possible for certain features to be re-implemented from scratch within the Unity port, and it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable for at least some Boom features to be done in such a way, but if you talk of the full breadth of GZDoom features, not a chance.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

The Unity port is conceptually the same in nature. Source ports can't "load" other source ports within them

You know what, I just realized that the wording of my question was confusing. I already was aware that you can't just place source ports inside source ports, I meant adding the capabilities from source ports, such as conveyor belts from BOOM or security cameras from ZDoom. Thank you still for your response, since it was still very helpful! :D

Completely unrelated to the recent chats but possibly relevant to this topic, does anyone know if anything ever came out of this
image.png.d88d35a4ab88c71a3ef36471a5181e9f.png

I'm curious and there's probably 0 chance anyone's got the answer, but i wonder, how long a life span you think the Unity port has? Will there be more addons released for it? I love this port on my PS4 even though i can't have PSX sounds on it and would like to see a big catalog of WADs for it. The stuff it already has is kickass.

Would it be absolutely impossible to see Boom or MBF compatibility in the future?

8 hours ago, Muusi said:

I'm curious and there's probably 0 chance anyone's got the answer, but i wonder, how long a life span you think the Unity port has? Will there be more addons released for it? I love this port on my PS4 even though i can't have PSX sounds on it and would like to see a big catalog of WADs for it. The stuff it already has is kickass.

Syringe just got released as an addon not too long ago (like less than a month ago iirc) so we still get more addons in the future.

8 hours ago, Muusi said:

Would it be absolutely impossible to see Boom or MBF compatibility in the future?

Yes.