Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

It's a frequently asked question. I wouldn't say it's "absolutely impossible", but because the work needed, for various legal reasons I don't feel like talking about again, cannot actually use the code from Boom or MBF, each feature used would have to be a clean-room reimplementation from specs, and that's largely more work than it's worth. So, not "absolutely impossible" but "extremely unlikely". And even if it happened, it wouldn't be a 100% full support, it'd be just enough to ensure whatever add-on was added works.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:48 PM, NieMaMordy said:

Sleep mode wake up issues
Making the console go into the sleep mode and then waking it up often results in the Main Menu getting displayed instead of the pause menu, which makes it impossible to continue playing without loading the save file. If you are unlucky, your game gets frozen instead of displaying the inappropriate menu, which requires a full restart of the game.

Reproduction steps:
1. Start Doom 1 or Doom 2 from switch menu
2. Load any add-on
3. Start any level
4. Pause the game
5. Make the console go into the sleep mode
6. Wake the console up from sleep mode
7. Enter the suspended Doom app from switch menu
8. Repeat steps 5-7 several times
9. Observe the Main Menu getting displayed instead of pause menu OR the game being frozen, requiring a restart

Here is a video showing both issues:

I'd like to give an update on this issue. When you turn off the vibrations off in the console's system menu, both of these issues appear not to occur anymore. However, a main menu can still get displayed, but it is a different case. Opening options menu in this case, allows to select cheats menu. Selecting a harmless cheat, like the computer area map allows to resolve this issue easily. In conclusion, it appears that vibrations are causing most of the issues with the switch port.

i cant see to run this under linux any idea why? seens like it doesnt have a native linux port but steam should be taking care of that with proton right?

25 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

i cant see to run this under linux any idea why? seens like it doesnt have a native linux port but steam should be taking care of that with proton right?

In theory you should be able to use it with Proton, I can't seem to run FNAF Ultimate custom night (which is for windows) with it, so maybe it's a proton problem.

Spoiler

Well, it pretty much is a fork of WINE, and even though it gets the job done, it's not fully reliable

3 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

In theory you should be able to use it with Proton, I can't seem to run FNAF Ultimate custom night (which is for windows) with it, so maybe it's a proton problem.

Hide contents

Well, it pretty much is a fork of WINE, and even though it gets the job done, it's not fully reliable

yea well thats not that big of a deal since i can use prboom funny thng im trying to install wine now to run zdaemon well i hope it works

On 4/19/2021 at 4:53 PM, P41R47 said:

25 Years on Earth would be great, but the soundtrack is a big nope. But well, it could be changed, i think.

I just had a go at running this with the unity port of Doom II (I bought it and the original Doom through the XBox store so I can use them for split-screen multiplayer - plus they were only £2 each!) and the port crashes when trying to load it, so I suspect there would be some work there. Obviously I'd be happy to work with whoever necessary to sort that out (and get multiplayer stuff in there properly), but I'm sure there's plenty of other WADs way higher up the priority listing!

Edited by Phobus

On 6/9/2021 at 8:47 PM, omalefico32x said:

Have you enabled Steam Play in the Settings of the Steam client?

Greetings

Funduke

1 minute ago, funduke said:

Have you enabled Steam Play in the Settings of the Steam client?

Greetings

Funduke

yea i have and i have messed around with some commands on the terminal too but nothing works steam says the game is running but it doesnt open and nothing happens

I've been playing the BTSX add-on via the Switch port. Great add-on! I've been struggling with a few add-ons that are a bit too tough for me to truly enjoy, but this strikes a great balance between challenging and empowering. There's enough ammo, health pick-ups and such lying around for you to be able to stand a chance against demons, yet they don't hold back with enemy encounters. The new music and visuals help differentiate it from other add-ons as well.

Great fun! I love how id and Bethesda chose to allow for (curated) mod support on the console release. The Switch version is my go-to way to play classic Doom due to gyro aiming, so the fact that I have access to tons of additional content on top of the original game makes it so much sweeter.

This modern port has got to be the best version aside from playing on PC, yea?

9 minutes ago, Solid SOAP said:

I've been playing the BTSX add-on via the Switch port. Great add-on! I've been struggling with a few add-ons that are a bit too tough for me to truly enjoy, but this strikes a great balance between challenging and empowering. There's enough ammo, health pick-ups and such lying around for you to be able to stand a chance against demons, yet they don't hold back with enemy encounters. The new music and visuals help differentiate it from other add-ons as well.

Great fun! I love how id and Bethesda chose to allow for (curated) mod support on the console release. The Switch version is my go-to way to play classic Doom due to gyro aiming, so the fact that I have access to tons of additional content on top of the original game makes it so much sweeter.

Glad to hear you're enjoying BTSX!

The new Doom port is indeed really great.

8 hours ago, Solid SOAP said:

i recommend you also give doom zero a try i found it very easy for the most part and the wad has some of the best level design in doom modding history it also is in the unity port

@Solid SOAP I recommend playing all the WADs ID has added so far. There is something great about all of them. DOOM Zero makes use of a bit of DeHackEd work with the new boss and a new enemy, and REKKR is basically an entirely new game made on a different engine. I personally had the best time with Deathless, since the levels never took longer than 10 minutes to beat, and Jimmy's architecture was great. 

I can't wait to see what Sponge has in store for us next. It's only been 60 something days since Syringe was last released, and the time between Syringe and DOOM Zero was well over 120. ID doesn't follow any real pattern between releases of WADs, so I expect it to be a long time until another WAD is released. Ever since its release, I've been hoping for Three is a crowd to be added to the port; akeldama has been on my wish list as well, ever since I first saw it; and more recently, Bourgeois Megawad came out, which looks awesome and would be a great way for Console players to play deathmatch. I'm not certain any of these will be added, or if I'll even know the name of the next WAD added, but @sponge always chooses the best WADs, so I'll be happy with anything he picks. 

4 minutes ago, NieMaMordy said:

Did anyone notice that when Syringe was added as an addon, there was no news article for it available in the app?

Yeah, I noticed too.

2 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Did anyone notice that when Syringe was added as an addon, there was no news article for it available in the app?

I check this often for any updates. also, follow this thread for any updates. @Man of Doom also posts on this thread when a new Official PWAD is up. 

10 hours ago, Chip said:

I check this often for any updates. also, follow this thread for any updates. @Man of Doom also posts on this thread when a new Official PWAD is up. 

I prefer checking slayer's club news page, as it also contains interviews with the creators. 

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

And here’s the official announcement.

Congrats again, @Jimmy!

I swear @Jimmy is going to be featured more times on Slayer's Club than every other Offical Add-on nominee. Stellar.

Interesting interview, too. Quite the dedication to move places to share a house with another prince of the Doom Mapping Crown, @Dragonfly.

After doing my usual snooping, I've determined that the Bethesda release of Earthless: Prelude is essentially identical to its latest public RC1 release except for the addition of working demos.

Okay, I'm not kidding when I say this, but I love @sponge!!!!

He basically has kept the Unity Port going for I think 2 years now, and has not failed to deliver once! He has excellent taste in WADs! 

Also, shoutout to @Jimmy! everything he touches is basically gold. 

I'm so excited to get to play this!!!

Aw man, I thought they are gonna release some other patch with this one for sure :(
I like Jimmy's wads though, so it's a cool day either way :D

I assume that Earthless Prologue will be replaced with the full release later on, instead of two releases (that would likely confuse the lowest common denominators)

Somebody should update the DOOM Wiki page for this. I would, but I don't know how to. :P

I just started Earthless today, and I have to say, WOW! This is so far a great sequel to Deathless, and really beautiful. great job! I hope to play the rest of it in the next few days or so!

I have a suggestion for @sponge (Which I'm not even sure if it's possible) for the Unity Add-ons to maybe have some sort of their own trophies. I know it's possible for DLC and Updates to get their own subsection of achievements (on PS4 at least), as is evident with the New DOOM games (update 6.66 of DOOM 2016 had its own subsection, iirc). I like collecting trophies, and even if it's something as menial as find the Secret Level or Beat the game, I would still very much enjoy it, as would many players that enjoy nabbing achievements. I don't know, just something I've been thinking about a bit. thank you again for your excellent work on the Unity Port!

On 6/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, Lol 6 said:

Reveal hidden contents

i discovered why a long time ago but i forgot to update here so well here i am i guess

the reason why it did not work is the same reason why steam games did not work on my machine with is proton requires vulkan with my pc has no support

21 hours ago, Chip said:

Somebody should update the DOOM Wiki page for this. I would, but I don't know how to. :P

I just started Earthless today, and I have to say, WOW! This is so far a great sequel to Deathless, and really beautiful. great job! I hope to play the rest of it in the next few days or so!

I have a suggestion for @sponge (Which I'm not even sure if it's possible) for the Unity Add-ons to maybe have some sort of their own trophies. I know it's possible for DLC and Updates to get their own subsection of achievements (on PS4 at least), as is evident with the New DOOM games (update 6.66 of DOOM 2016 had its own subsection, iirc). I like collecting trophies, and even if it's something as menial as find the Secret Level or Beat the game, I would still very much enjoy it, as would many players that enjoy nabbing achievements. I don't know, just something I've been thinking about a bit. thank you again for your excellent work on the Unity Port!

Optional content like Add-ons aren't eligble for trophies/achievements unfortunately. We'd have to at minimum include them with the game. If it were DLC from the store that you downloaded from first party you definitely could.

I kept forgetting to share this but I had this happen with Earthless, 

I been told this is a normal doom bug and not a unity bug and I wanted to hear from more people confirm this because I never heard of this happening in vanilla doom. The weird part is it was just that spot and if I shot a rocket point blank the rocket would blow up in my face

17 minutes ago, sponge said:

Optional content like Add-ons aren't eligble for trophies/achievements unfortunately. We'd have to at minimum include them with the game. If it were DLC from the store that you downloaded from first party you definitely could.

How about adding achievements to the Steam versions? I don't know Valve's rules with that, but I did notice Chex Quest HD was able to add a few after it's release (it launched with none) 

hey i was able to start the unity port on linux without using proton408282070_Screenshotfrom2021-07-2614-30-53.png.ff112644e007f2244d02a348b485d479.png

now thing is everytime i boot it up i see a white screen and i cant do anything but this time i decided to press random keys on my keyboard and somehow it worked with tells me its a problem with the mp4 files

i tried to remove them from the game files but no luck i still see a white screen at start is there any way to skip them automatically?

1 hour ago, Rexen² said:

I kept forgetting to share this but I had this happen with Earthless, 

I been told this is a normal doom bug and not a unity bug and I wanted to hear from more people confirm this because I never heard of this happening in vanilla doom. The weird part is it was just that spot and if I shot a rocket point blank the rocket would blow up in my face

Can confirm it's vanilla behavior. The easiest spot to see this in vanilla Doom is E1M2, when firing rockets at the outer wall in the big outdoor area.