Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

I have been playing through the PS4 port of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 and overall I have been having a amazing time with it (especially with the controls, which I feel are perfect) but I have been experiencing a bug involving vsync. If I turn vsync off, naturally the controls are much more responsive, but whenever I get to a intermission text screen the next level refuses to load.

I am not sure if this happens with Ultimate Doom but it definitely happens with Doom 2 and I hope there is some way to fix this bug. Just in case it helps, I am going to mention that I have been playing this port using the PS5, which is PS4 compatible but it could potentially be causing this issue for some reason.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:08 PM, Man of Doom said:

So this happened with the Limited Run Games version of the Switch port.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to get this port to generate a crash report? I’m trying to map for it and it’s frustrating when the whole thing goes down and won’t tell you why. . . 

8 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Does anyone know if there’s a way to get this port to generate a crash report? I’m trying to map for it and it’s frustrating when the whole thing goes down and won’t tell you why. . . 

It does already, it's written to a log file somewhere in the user data. However as already answered in your other thread, your crash is somewhere inside the renderer where not even chocolate doom is catching, this port will not do any better. Crashing inside the renderer will almost never give you useful information.

10 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It does already, it's written to a log file somewhere in the user data. However as already answered in your other thread, your crash is somewhere inside the renderer where not even chocolate doom is catching, this port will not do any better. Crashing inside the renderer will almost never give you useful information.

Thanks! Yeah, that response in there was what I needed for that particular issue, I just figured I’d ask here about debug reports for when future problems inevitably arise. When you say the debug is in the user data, is that gonna be in my Doom folder where it’s saved in Steamapps? Thanks!

I don't remember where it's stored exactly, I just know that there is a log file that records most stuff.

The switch version has been updated. I don't see any news about it anywhere, and I don't see any changes in gameplay or menus. Any ideas what changed in this one? Gonna let you guys know if the standby mode crashes and main menu issues still occur

Edited by NieMaMordy

I noticed this too, but it looks like it was only the Switch version that was updated. The PC and Xbox ports haven't had any updates. The lack of patch notes mean that this was probably something insignificant.

I regret to say it, but this patch did not fix anything either. None of the critical issues have been fixed in the switch version. 

The console updates have just been done a few hours ago. I was so excited thinking it was a new add-on since one is definitely required now lol but alas my sadness took over to find out nothing changed :( I'm not gonna lie when I say that I've been checking this port constantly every few days for an update over the last half a year and when I see one today the "we are the champions" song started playing in my head and I pulled out the ol fake guitar move in preparation to grind out a new fun add-on... If anyone thinks I'm over reacting that's fair enough lol but I don't own doom on PC so these add-ons in the unity port on console are my only source of playing new classic doom stuff 😔 ah well back to waiting I guess 😉

I have no idea what's going on, but yet another update has been deployed today. It adds everything that the one from yesterday did, and anwsering @ChopBlock223 's question, both of these updates do absolutely nothing.

If there's an unannounced console-only update without a changelog, it's probably just boring metadata stuff for physical releases or something like that.

12 hours ago, LarKo said:

I was so excited thinking it was a new add-on since one is definitely required now

It's been a while since we've seen a new add-on hasn't it? Last one was, let's see here,
image.png.566582f22f561d4b786504648927f8bd.png

Oh.

Was Sponge related to the Nightdive guys? In that case I figure maybe he has been busy helping with the Quake stuff and what not.

12 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Was Sponge related to the Nightdive guys? In that case I figure maybe he has been busy helping with the Quake stuff and what not.

He doesn’t work for Nightdive but he has been involved in the Quake port. He’s responsible for the addons there too in addition to other stuff.

Ah, there we go then, he's been busy with that. Well worth it, Quake deserves a good modern console port, so that's a great effort.

Two add-ons were released on 09-Feb-2022(?) for Quake. So sth is happening on this side.

Happy to see support for the quake port. Let's see if the support for doom add-ons will continue besides quake?

It seems like it's generally easy to do and it certainly is good marketing, if they have future Doom games in mind they will probably keep at it.

There are a couple of mods in the pipeline after the next one so hopefully there won't be as much of a gap as this time. Shipping Quake was tough!

1 hour ago, sponge said:

There are a couple of mods in the pipeline after the next one so hopefully there won't be as much of a gap as this time. Shipping Quake was tough!

Ooh, that’s exciting to hear! Thanks for all your hard work and keeping us supplied with content on consoles!

9 hours ago, sponge said:

Shipping Quake was tough!

But well worth it.

Given that Microsoft acquired Activision, which own Raven, will that mean that assets from games like Heretic, Hexen, and Necrodome, etc, would be okayed if used in a mapset you guys are looking to curate for Doom or Quake?

1 minute ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Given that Microsoft acquired Activision, which own Raven, will that mean that assets from games like Heretic, Hexen, and Necrodome, etc, would be okayed if used in a mapset you guys are looking to curate for Doom or Quake?

The acquisition hasn't been finalized yet. It probably won't be until next year. So I don't think we'll know anything about the asset situation until next year.

8 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

I haven't actually played Doom 1-2 on console since the BFG Edition. But this one is a solid console port?

Oh it is amazing. It supports 16:9, offers some mods to play, adds stuff such as optional crosshair or optional sound pitch. It also runs very well. Its biggest drawbacks are lack of customizable controls, and very common crashes and softlocks on switch, which is something that I would kill for it to be fixed. 

Edited by NieMaMordy

1 hour ago, Old-Doomguy said:

I haven't actually played Doom 1-2 on console since the BFG Edition. But this one is a solid console port?

It was very rough on launch, but they fixed it up extremely well, far better than BFG Edition. Now it's the best console port of Doom ever made (I count Doom 64 as its entire own game). Accurate and demo compatible behavior, nice options, they also curate a new set of levels every now and then, giving you the expansion packs and various good community level sets as free downloads (which at the low price makes it the best value port of Doom as well).

No option to rebind controls yet, which I really wish they'd add some day, but the default binds are passable. Make sure that Vertical Sync is toggled off in the options, though, as that gives you pretty bad input lag when on. Has no online multiplayer, but it has couch co-op.

On 2/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, NieMaMordy said:

Oh it is amazing. It supports 16:9, offers some mods to play, adds stuff such as optional crosshair or optional sound pitch. It also runs very well. Its biggest drawbacks are lack of customizable controls, and very common crashes and softlocks on switch, which is something that I would kill for it to be fixed. 

I never had a crash on the Nintendo Switch. But I have to admit, that I have played only the add-ons there. And I have heard that some crashed come from the Switch in Sleeping Mode, while the game is still running? This is sth what I never did, as I always close the game.

On 2/18/2022 at 4:00 PM, ChopBlock223 said:

It was very rough on launch, but they fixed it up extremely well, far better than BFG Edition. Now it's the best console port of Doom ever made (I count Doom 64 as its entire own game). Accurate and demo compatible behavior, nice options, they also curate a new set of levels every now and then, giving you the expansion packs and various good community level sets as free downloads (which at the low price makes it the best value port of Doom as well).

No option to rebind controls yet, which I really wish they'd add some day, but the default binds are passable. Make sure that Vertical Sync is toggled off in the options, though, as that gives you pretty bad input lag when on. Has no online multiplayer, but it has couch co-op.

On Steam DOOM I and II received Remote Play Together, what offers to play the local co-op and deathmatch modes online.

9 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

This is sth what I never did, as I always close the game.

This is why it never ocurred on your end. Crashes and softlocks occur either instantly or a few minutes after waking the console up from sleep mode. Softlocks are revolving around the fact that the main menu appears on the screen during gameplay, which still allows for moving the character, but it prevents the User from opening a proper in-game menu. While it is still technically possible to continue the game in this state, User is unable to save and load, making it impossible to save your progress. I have shown these issues in greater detail in this old video, but unfortunately I never got any response from anyone in regards to whether the issue is known or reproducible on other devices.