Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

1 minute ago, Kinsie said:

The tweets don't seem to be up yet, but...

FR6s8Xb.png

Called it! Nice! Congrats @Pavera, this mapset certainly earns its spot!

Amazing how fast people notice these things, you all realized it was live before I did!

Now this was a pleasant surprise to see this when I snagged the DOOM Slayers Collection with some leftover birthday money on my Xbox account and seeing this news pop up on my brother's Xbox! Thank you @sponge and congrats @Pavera for having your work featured among the curated add-ons!

Wait, if this is the 15th mod added to the Unity port, then where's No. 14? Both Doom's and Doom II's Unity turns up a missing "14" in this collection of mods.

image.png.637958fa62f4d49a54c20e2e01f88490.png

Edited by AmethystViper : Something I noticed on the PC version's add-on files

Yay, thanks for this update. :) Nice seeing that the DOOM re-releases from 2019 are still getting love in 2022.

My next addon will be BTSX Episode 1, which is the 8th official addon. Arrival is now the 15th official addon, so I will need some time until I will play that one.

Currently I'm playing the Quake 1 Remaster (and Quake 1 for the very first time) and I love it. :)

For Doom, I would play all the official addons on my Nintendo Switch. On PC I would play then erverything else.

But nice seeing that Doom is still getting addons. I'm will watch interested, what will be added for Quake 1 and Doom in the future. I will play everything on the Switch.

20 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

14 stands for a crash and softlock fixing update.

Button rebinding addon ;)

I recently found something pretty interesting when playing Doom on the switch. You can strafe and move with the keyboard using wasd, nothing else though. Does this mean we could add mouse and keyboard support for the unity port of console doom?

Everything keyboard-related works, though. The only things that are unbound are turning, firing and the menu shortcuts for saving/loading and help. But numbers for weapons and even quicksaving with F5 work.

It's pretty safe to say these ports do have MKB support, but it's just mostly-unused because realistically, how many Switch users play with a mouse and keyboard attached?

I looked into mouse support but it wasn't really working great when I tried it on the Switch, and Unity doesn't seem to support it natively. Keyboard support was (accidentally) left on since the original launch at QuakeCon 2019. Should work on Android though since Chromebooks are supported.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:44 PM, hfc2x said:

Everything keyboard-related works, though. The only things that are unbound are turning, firing and the menu shortcuts for saving/loading and help. But numbers for weapons and even quicksaving with F5 work.

It's pretty safe to say these ports do have MKB support, but it's just mostly-unused because realistically, how many Switch users play with a mouse and keyboard attached?

The bigger issue is switch lite users only have one usb port and I don't think usb hubs work (I don't have one to test this out on

10 minutes ago, Rexen² said:

The bigger issue is switch lite users only have one usb port and I don't think usb hubs work (I don't have one to test this out on

You can. Nothing special about the USB port, so it happily accepts a hub fine.

Just revisiting SIGIL and I’ve noticed that when I save it records the level being E1. I’m sure when it was originally released on these ports it was saved as E5 Is this right?, was it changed? 

Sorry if this has been brought up before. 

It could have been Episode 5, since they added the Master Levels as an episode for Doom 2, but for some reason this port removes the ability of starting a New Game with addons, the only option is level selecting, this probably has something to do with the fact that achievements are disabled when there's an addon active.

Sometime in the past i was wondering if you could maybe replace an addon WAD with a custom one on the PS4 version.

I now have a jailbroken PS4 and can browse the folders and files but sadly, the files are (of course) in some proprietary format and you can't even really make out which files contain the data for installed addons.

I'm sad and disappointed. Of course the selection of available WADs is great and all but i would've loved to test stuff on the PS4 version. 

1 hour ago, Metal_Slayer said:

It could have been Episode 5, since they added the Master Levels as an episode for Doom 2, 

Master levels is not a defined episode, they replace random maps in Doom2. Yes even in the modern port.

1 hour ago, Metal_Slayer said:

but for some reason this port removes the ability of starting a New Game with addons, the only option is level selecting, this probably has something to do with the fact that achievements are disabled when there's an addon active.

Nothing to do with achievements, it just made more sense from a UX perspective to show all the maps within an addon, as the available maps don't always conform to the original map list.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Master levels is not a defined episode, they replace random maps in Doom2. Yes even in the modern port.

They still replace random maps, but when you press "New Game" it asks "Which Episode?" and shows Hell On Earth and Master Levels, this was also used for NRFTL in the previous rerelease, this port also has the ability to play some Doom wads on Doom 2 and vice versa, so it's still kind of odd.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Nothing to do with achievements, it just made more sense from a UX perspective to show all the maps within an addon, as the available maps don't always conform to the original map list.

But  that isn't necessary since the addon tabs always has a description saying how many new maps a wad has, besides, people playing for the first time might not know how many maps Doom and Doom 2 have. This is almost certainly related to achievements, since on PC it's possible to load any vanilla wad file, that could be used to cheat without the game noticing, they could certainly have made a system that had an exception for the official addons, but instead they decided to just disable it.

3 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

They still replace random maps, but when you press "New Game" it asks "Which Episode?" and shows Hell On Earth and Master Levels, this was also used for NRFTL in the previous rerelease, this port also has the ability to play some Doom wads on Doom 2 and vice versa, so it's still kind of odd.

Right but it's still not it's own episode, in relation to Sigil being an "episode 5". The engine doesn't ever see an episode 5 being defined so it's not reported as one.

3 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

But  that isn't necessary since the addon tabs always has a description saying how many new maps a wad has, besides, people playing for the first time might not know how many maps Doom and Doom 2 have. This is almost certainly related to achievements, since on PC it's possible to load any vanilla wad file, that could be used to cheat without the game noticing, they could certainly have made a system that had an exception for the official addons, but instead they decided to just disable it.

It is not related to achievements. There's no reason why the original episode menu could still show up and achievements still be disabled. The achievements just check to see if there's any addons loaded at all, it doesn't care what menu you've gone through at all. There's no inherent connection between the two. I didn't do the Doom port, but I did Quake, and it's the exact same system there too.

I'm getting the impression that you think there is some immediate relation to what the menus show and what a game does behind the scenes. But it's just a front end, designed to report things in a way a user can easily control and use. The game itself internally doesn't need to reflect anything about the menu behaviour at all. The Master Levels isn't actually an episode, it looks like one but it's just a menu showing all levels that reloads the game with the related wad selected (Master Levels is just 20 wads, it's not an organised map pack). Likewise Sigil is just 9 levels, it doesn't need to show the episode menu because you've already loaded it as an explicit action, and the other maps are irrelevant. 

Edited by Edward850

The DOOM unity ports have achievements? I have the ports on Steam and Switch and there are no achievements. Even the Switch has its own made achievements in DOOM 64 and the Quake port. But for the unity ports I never saw achievements.

Are they exclusive to the other console ports or even the version on the Bethesda launcher?

Achievements are on Xbox (both console and PC, as it's a joint ecosystem now) and PS4. Switch has no native achievements API, and Steam was updating the existing Doom titles so no achievements could be tested as the game was already public (Steam doesn't have a sandbox).

Doom64 and Quake are using Kex, which we built local achievements environment for in Turok 1 & 2 (as our API makes the implementation generic for all platforms already), which is what's used on Switch for those titles. As Quake also had multiplayer, we used a separate title on Steam as the staging ground so achievements posed no complication.

Edited by Edward850

Thanks for the explaination. :) I hunted already the classic DOOM achievements in the BFG Edition. So it is okay for me not hunting them again in the Unity ports.

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I'm getting the impression that you think there is some immediate relation to what the menus show and what a game does behind the scenes. But it's just a front end, designed to report things in a way a user can easily control and use. The game itself internally doesn't need to reflect anything about the menu behaviour at all. The Master Levels isn't actually an episode, it looks like one but it's just a menu showing all levels that reloads the game with the related wad selected (Master Levels is just 20 wads, it's not an organised map pack). Likewise Sigil is just 9 levels, it doesn't need to show the episode menu because you've already loaded it as an explicit action, and the other maps are irrelevant. 

I know that when you access the Master Levels what actually happens is that the game loads the pwad on top of the Doom II levels, but on the end, selecting Map01/E1M1 or entering a New Game are the same thing, I just think that entering a New Game looks cooler and I question the decision of Nerve to make it like that. Otherwise, Sigil not being episode 5 might also be related to the fact that it isn't an official/canonical episode.

When I remember correctly, Romero released SIGIL in severval Wads for severval source ports? At least I remember that playing SIGIL almost in a vanilla way, episode 3 gets replaced with SIGIL. With other ports handling it as episode 5. Something like that.

It has been a long time since SIGIL (3 years :0), so please don't quote me on that by word.

I think I played SIGIL with crispy doom and I think that episode 3 was replaced for me.

5 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

I think I played SIGIL with crispy doom and I think that episode 3 was replaced for me.

Load the regular wad (Not compat version) in Crispy and see if E5 gets added

5 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

With other ports handling it as episode 5. Something like that.

That's due to the MAPINFO lump contained in Si6il. With that you can define new episodes and stuff