Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS4/Xbox One/Switch/IOS/Android

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

So that means Sigil's the first custom wad on consoles. I would like to see more.

 

There already are a few, such as NEIS and Deathless, and Bethesda/id seem to keep it going.

 

Try not to live under rocks too much just for the sake of making +1 topics and posts... this was discussed a lot on DW when they first became available, hard to miss even if you'd want to.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, a Bethesda account is required to download the wads.

 

No, as you can see from the link I posted, Brutal Doom isn't available. And most likely it'll never be, only vanilla compatible (or some limit-raising) wads are supported by the Unity port.

Share this post


Link to post

What do you think the next WAD will be that is put onto console? 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Ferk said:

Yes, a Bethesda account is required to download the wads.

 

No, as you can see from the link I posted, Brutal Doom isn't available. And most likely it'll never be, only vanilla compatible (or some limit-raising) wads are supported by the Unity port.

Unity's used?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Unity's used?

It's used as a wrapper, primarily to handle input. It's still the same old Doom engine otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Unity's used?

 

Only for I/O, Bethesda.net, and displaying stuff, but otherwise it's still the original Doom engine running in Software. They haven't "ported" Doom to Unity in that sense.

 

And no, BD is not and never will be available. The Unity version is otherwise the original vanilla executable with very few limits slightly raised and some new features such as DMAPINFO, so only vanilla compatible and limit-removing wads that don't go crazy will ever be compatible with it. Nothing using DeHacked, ZScript, or DECORATE.

Share this post


Link to post

You can find pretty detailed information on the Unity port here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_Classic_Unity_port

 

It's based on the Doom classic included in the Doom 3 BFG Edition, but replacing the Doom 3 wrapper with a Unity one for more portability (it's even on android/ios) and adding several improvements.

Edited by Ferk

Share this post


Link to post

I guess a more logical take on that previous comment could be "taking down digital books/book scans but someone still has physical copies and a scanner", but still.

Acessibility, documentation, preservation etc like usual.

 

These classic ports also ended up being pretty good after some updates, even with some limitations like how they may not change the actual engine because of the GPL/open source bit that Graf Zahl here once mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, whatup876 said:

even with some limitations like how they may not change the actual engine because of the GPL/open source bit that Graf Zahl here once mentioned.

No that's not true at all. They can change the engine as much as they like, it's their engine and they have full license control over it. Further more, a GPL engine couldn't be published on consoles, least of which in the capacity they have anyway.

And they've already been changing it, that's what the updates have been doing, heck splitscreen is already a drastic change. 

Edited by Edward850

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

No that's not true at all. They can change the engine as much as they like, it's their engine and they have full license control over it. Further more, a GPL engine couldn't be published on consoles, least of which in the capacity they have anyway.

And they've already been changing it, that's what the updates have been doing, heck splitscreen is already a drastic change. 

 

I think that @whatup876 refered to that Doom Engine is under GPL licence, not the new Unity port. He meant to said that the Unity port may implement some changes but without changing the core engine.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

 

I think that @whatup876 refered to that Doom Engine is under GPL licence, not the new Unity port. He meant to said that the Unity port may implement some changes but without changing the core engine.

This is an incorrect understanding of how licenses and copyright work.

 

When we use the publicly available Doom source under the GPL, we are doing so under license from id Software/Bethesda/ZeniMax, who own the copyright in the work.

 

Because they own the copyright in the work, they themselves may use the source however they please. It is their property. The internal development version of the Doom source code has always belonged to them. It is not subject to the GPL.

 

What they cannot do is take code contributed to public GPL ports and use it in their own internal development version, without obtaining special permission from the authors. And they've been 100% excellent about not violating this element of trust.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

No End In Sight just didn't intrigue me since I felt there was no learning curve to it.

Ummmm. . . What? Did you even play it? There’s a very clear escalation in difficulty with each episode. . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Faceman2000 said:

Ummmm. . . What? Did you even play it? There’s a very clear escalation in difficulty with each episode. . . 

I thought the learning curve was too high. for me it was like every level got significantly tougher, instead of the short slope that just adds a bit more difficulty. But that's just my opinion. I didn't finish it, too. I only played the first 3 episodes. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I thought the learning curve was too high. for me it was like every level got significantly tougher, instead of the short slope that just adds a bit more difficulty. But that's just my opinion. I didn't finish it, too. I only played the first 3 episodes. 

What difficulty were you playing on? I wound up bumping it down to HMP for episode 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Faceman2000 said:

What difficulty were you playing on? I wound up bumping it down to HMP for episode 4.

I play on HMP. I can't play UV or NM. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I play on HMP. I can't play UV or NM. 

NEIS is an incredibly well-made and fun mapset but it’s leagues above OG Doom in difficulty. I’d recommend going through it again on HNTR - you’ll probably find you enjoy it a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Faceman2000 said:

NEIS is an incredibly well-made and fun mapset but it’s leagues above OG Doom in difficulty. I’d recommend going through it again on HNTR - you’ll probably find you enjoy it a lot more.

Okay! thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2020 at 11:20 PM, cybdmn said:

... GOG DO sell the game in germany, Steam does not. ...

 

... And those, who live in germany and wish to have the 1.9 version in their Steam library, they can buy a key at the Humble Store:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/doom-ii

 

Greetings from germany

Funduke

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/21/2020 at 8:23 AM, SteelPH said:

The original versions are still for sale on Steam despite the existence of BFG Edition

Sadly, as someone who owns the GOG version of Doom 3: BFG Edition, they don't include the original Doom 3 with the purchase. The few games I can think of in my GOG library currently that has an updated/remastered version of an older game while including its original version are BioShock 1 and 2 Remastered (post-launch), Rune Classic (as "Rune Gold"), and Spelunky (as "Spelunky Classic", which is already available as freeware).

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

Sadly, as someone who owns the GOG version of Doom 3: BFG Edition, they don't include the original Doom 3 with the purchase. The few games I can think of in my GOG library currently that has an updated/remastered version of an older game while including its original version are BioShock 1 and 2 Remastered (post-launch), Rune Classic (as "Rune Gold"), and Spelunky (as "Spelunky Classic", which is already available as freeware).


Yeah it really sucks that they won't offer OG Doom 3 anywhere else but Steam (or you have a disc drive and a physical copy).

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Yeah it really sucks that they won't offer OG Doom 3 anywhere else but Steam (or you have a disc drive and a physical copy).

That's because the Steam version still uses/sells CD keys the game was designed to use. GOG has no method to supply CD keys, and they would need to edit, compile and QA pass an entirely new version of Doom3 for a code base that hasn't been opened since 2005 and thus would be an extremely unknown state, and for the very niche number of people who would want to buy that particular version of Doom3, from that particular store (the userbase for GOG is actually quite small).

Edited by Edward850

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Edward850 said:

That's because the Steam version still uses/sells CD keys the game was designed to use.

That actually made me wonder if the CD keys are actually finite or something.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

That actually made me wonder if the CD keys are actually finite or something.

Mathematically yes, though not to any number that will be reached within anyone's lifetime here. Physically it could be, it's happened once before with Prey (2006) which was pulled from sale when the keys generated ran out and they couldn't generate more due to losing the private key. As far as we know, Doom3 is not in this situation and they could just keep generating new keys.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Physically it could be, it's happened once before with Prey (2006) which was pulled from sale when the keys generated ran out and they couldn't generate more due to losing the private key.

Damnit. I hope that's not the reason it became abandonware.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, printz said:

Damnit. I hope that's not the reason it became abandonware.

 

I don't think so, it's probably some legal issues going on that prevent its distribution currently.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×