Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS4/Xbox One/Switch/IOS/Android

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Diabolución said:

Off-topic: unlike The Maverick013 in the page 20, I actually asked Chris Klie for permission to post this.

 

 

Still the Bob Carter map(s) are the problem here.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

 

 

Still the Bob Carter map(s) are the problem here.

Bob's maps are already on Idgames on BOBKDV2.WAD and B21.WAD... except for map E3M7 and E3M8, but this last one is a retooling of E1M1 by Chris Klie... :/

 

So, @Diabolución, if you are able to contact Bob Carter, that would be awesome.

Edited by P41R47

Share this post


Link to post

I should have mentioned that I am not suggesting (hence I said off-topic), in any shape or form, its deployment as an official add-on. I just wanted to share with you guys this cool moment.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/11/2019 at 5:06 AM, Doomkid said:

There’s actually been a small but consistent push in the community to switch to green crosses as they are the international standard depiction of “health” on the battlefield. A Red Cross is a sign of neutrality on the battlefield and is a protected symbol under the Geneva convention.

 

All the classic Doom rereleases since 2006 have used that ugly pill sprite, which is universally detested (hilariously). Literally everyone in the community who gave a rats ass thought a green cross would be better as it’s more universal these days, though I personally am a fan of the heart symbol which is more arcadey. I’ve been using medikits, stimpacks and berserks with the cute little heart since 2016 and I have to say it has increased the quality of the wads dramatically! (lol)

 

Citations incoming:

 

Here are my variants, the Most Legit if I do say so myself:

 

tl;dr The use of green crosses was a mix of Geneva Convention compliance and listening to the community!

Actually i really liked the green cross on berserk

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

I should have mentioned that I am not suggesting (hence I said off-topic), in any shape or form, its deployment as an official add-on. I just wanted to share with you guys this cool moment.

Don't worry, they are not on par with the quality of the official add-ons. But well, for posterity, i think it should be uploaded to Idgames completely.

Unfortunatelly, scans of the book may need the authorization of who wrote it, Jonathan Mendoza

Share this post


Link to post

I'm confused honestly

The save game info and end level tally refers it as MAP28, but the automap name and level select in the main menu refers it as MAP31. And this is after a redownload, mind you.image.png.9fa38981b3ef30a153f9a4857c69da83.png

Share this post


Link to post

You'd have to basically have a community project that tunes up the Lost Episodes with Klie and Carter's blessing to get them on the Unity port I think, unless theres a disclaimer that its here for historical reasons as a curiosity and oddity from Doom's past, as one of three commercial megawads. Hell to Pay and Perditions Gate stand on their own feet to this day, opinions on textures and sprite replacements not withstanding, but the actual level design of Lost Episodes needs a lot of refinement, especially Carter's half.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

The save game info and end level tally refers it as MAP28, but the automap name and level select in the main menu refers it as MAP31. And this is after a redownload, mind you.

This appears similar to how my switch port effed up the secret map in Double Impact.

 

On 12/19/2020 at 12:28 PM, Antroid said:

Something weird is happening in my Double Impact playthrough. I'm playing it on the switch Doom 2 version. The secret level is marked as "ml0" in the saves list, while it's correctly called e1m9 on the map and such. When I finish the secret level, instead of putting me on e1m4 it boots me out into the Master Levels level select screen. Luckily I have saves on e1m3 and e1m4 to possibly continue playing without the secret level, but it still seems pretty bad.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/18/2021 at 9:20 AM, ZeroTheEro said:

The save game info and end level tally refers it as MAP28, but the automap name and level select in the main menu refers it as MAP31. And this is after a redownload, mind you.

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, and I think they said they were going to check it.

 

Unrelated to this, I've been playing with this port more lately, and I noticed how MAP11 in Doom 2 is shown in the automap as "Circle of Death" instead of "'O' of destruction!". Is this a limitation of DMAPINFO, or was this changed for copyright or some other reason?

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

Unrelated to this, I've been playing with this port more lately, and I noticed how MAP11 in Doom 2 is shown in the automap as "Circle of Death" instead of "'O' of destruction!". Is this a limitation of DMAPINFO, or was this changed for copyright or some other reason?

Thats was the actual behaviour always since Doom 2 come out.

Check here for info:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP11:_Circle_of_Death_(Doom_II)

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

Thats was the actual behaviour always since Doom 2 come out.

Check here for info:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP11:_Circle_of_Death_(Doom_II)

Feels like you didn't even read what I wrote. I've been playing Doom 2 since I was a child, so I know it like the back of my hand. I know about the intended behavior, which is why I'm mentioning it. What I'm saying is that this port removed the Ultima 7 reference, and now calls the map "Circle of Death" in all instances, and I want to know if there was a technical reason for the change.

 

1100182185_CircleofDeath.png.d334257cc8210ac6efcc258217df5b81.png

Share this post


Link to post

Does there have to be a reason? Sometimes shit changes when you have to keep adapting it for different systems and localisation.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

Feels like you didn't even read what I wrote. I've been playing Doom 2 since I was a child, so I know it like the back of my hand. I know about the intended behavior, which is why I'm mentioning it. What I'm saying is that this port removed the Ultima 7 reference, and now calls the map "Circle of Death" in all instances, and I want to know if there was a technical reason for the change.

Actually i read your post, swiftly, thats why i understood it wrong.

If i didn't readed it, it would be hard for me to answer properly hinting the theme you are talking about.

Sorry for missreading you.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Does there have to be a reason?

I mean, what you said sounds like a reason lol.

Share this post


Link to post

We are likely due for another addon in the next week or two! I’m excited to see what it’ll be. . .

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

We are likely due for another addon in the next week or two! I’m excited to see what it’ll be. . .

I'm praying for a performance fix to bring XB1 in line with PS4 tbh!

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, Faceman2000 said:

We are likely due for another addon in the next week or two! I’m excited to see what it’ll be. . .

Where do you get this information, if this is not just speculation?

 

In case something like TNT Revilution somehow gets added, a good replacement for the Duke3D sentries could be those sentries in Mars Core/Phobos or the Doom 3 turret bot thing.

Or imagine if someone found a toy similar to what id used back in the day and made unique turret sprites based on that.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

Where do you get this information, if this is not just speculation?

 

In case something like TNT Revilution somehow gets added, a good replacement for the Duke3D sentries could be those sentries in Mars Core/Phobos or the Doom 3 turret bot thing.

Or imagine if someone found a toy similar to what id used back in the day and made unique turret sprites based on that.

After the addons started appearing, the team had a constant schedule of updates after a perido of around 45 days, if i remember right.

I think that where Faceman2000 has his hopes.

 

About TNT: Revilution... i would love to see it officialized, but it comes as something really hard by today as some maps authors, literally, dissappeared from the scene withou any way to contact them.

And their agreement is necessary to release it.

Hope i'm wrong and something can be done about that, but as with the latest addons, that was a pre requisite.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

I'm praying for a performance fix to bring XB1 in line with PS4 tbh!

Agreed! Although as I've said before these frame pacing problems were already mentioned a while ago and there still hasn't been a fix yet. It would be nice if the devs could at least acknowledge the problem, and let us know if they're looking into it or not...

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Mr. Death said:

Agreed! Although as I've said before these frame pacing problems were already mentioned a while ago and there still hasn't been a fix yet. It would be nice if the devs could at least acknowledge the problem, and let us know if they're looking into it or not...

You are erroneously assuming that the devs even experience the problem. I certainly don't. 

Share this post


Link to post

I sure hope devs do acknowledge the problem of main menu appearing on screen after waking the console up from sleep mode on switch

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You are erroneously assuming that the devs even experience the problem. I certainly don't. 

You have the ports on XB1? Hmm- I don't know what to say then. I really thought that we were on to something since other users have reported the stuttering issues on XB1 and not the PS4 version.

What type of TV/Monitor are you playing on? I'm using a 60Hz 1080 TV, and I'm playing on an Xbox One X. I guess I wouldn't necessarily say that the issue is a frame pacing problem, it's more of a constant stutter that happens every time I turn or rotate the view around. Maybe it's somehow related to the turning?

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Mr. Death said:

What type of TV/Monitor are you playing on? I'm using a 60Hz 1080 TV, and I'm playing on an Xbox One X

A 4K 60Hz monitor on a One S, however running through a 1080P capture card, so nothing special like VRR running and not even a 4K output (FYI, Doom runs at fixed resolution of 853x400 @ 60 regardless of platform).

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

A 4K 60Hz monitor on a One S, however running through a 1080P capture card, so nothing special like VRR running and not even a 4K output (FYI, Doom runs at fixed resolution of 853x400 @ 60 regardless of platform).

So you don't experience any stuttering at all? Like I've said, all I have to do is start up a level in either Doom or Doom II and turn in a circle and the stuttering is immediately obvious. It's a very consistent stutter that happens about 1-2 times every second when turning.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Nothing obvious, no.

What do you think it could be then?

I have my console set to energy saving mode, I don't have any other apps running in the background, and my console is fully up to date.

It's frustrating because I really do love the new ports, and I'm excited every time a new add-on is announced. But once I start up the game I'm immediately reminded that the stuttering issue is there, and it really distracts from the overall experience...

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Mr. Death said:

What do you think it could be then?

Unity itself is known to be plagued by weird frame timing issues, especially in older versions, that may be the crux of the issue, manifesting for some users. 

 

Updating Unity however is no small feat. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Where do you get this information, if this is not just speculation?

@P41R47 is correct - I’m just guessing based off the semi-regular release schedule thus far. Addons have typically been released on a Tuesday or Thursday every six or seven weeks.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×