Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS4/Xbox One/Switch/IOS/Android

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Agent Slacker said:

I was wondering if anyone on the development team have considered an option to use the Switch's internal gyroscope to aim? I bring this up because I've found myself using the Hori Split Pad Pro quite often. Said controller doesn't have a gyroscope. I know some of Nightdive's Switch ports can do this, such as Strife and Turok 2.

I think they already had that since a while back.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

I think they already had that since a while back.

Nope, not the system gyroscope it doesn't. It's a rather uncommonly used feature as most engines don't seem to know it exists. I only just discovered it when porting Strife when something about how their lotcheck documents, asking about a gyro in handheld mode (somehow separate from joycons), kept making me question the intent.

Share this post


Link to post

is there a way to contact Gwynn Williams?

Vile Flesh is the best thing that fit all the criteria, except for the author still being on the community.

And converting the mapst to limit removing isn't that hard either, as there is no boom action at use on any of them.

Share this post


Link to post

I imagine you'd have to ask someone who knew Gwyn, or someone who knows someone who knew Gwyn. That was a really long time ago, and I don't think he ever made anything else or stuck around for long. Did they ever post here?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I imagine you'd have to ask someone who knew Gwyn, or someone who knows someone who knew Gwyn. That was a really long time ago, and I don't think he ever made anything else or stuck around for long. Did they ever post here?

he posted around 2003 to 2014 by the user name of @GMan, but he isn't around since the DWMC played Vile Flesh on their usual monthly run.

Share this post


Link to post

This is a bit of an odd issue that I wanted to bring up pertaining to the PC version of this port.

I'm not sure if this is just me, but it seems that anytime I use mixed inputs (gamepad joystick to move/ mouse to aim) whenever I use the analog stick to move, my aim with the mouse becomes super sensitive. This is an issue that will probably affect like 3 people, but I'm one of those 3 people.

Again, this is probably an insignificant issue, but I did want to bring it up.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry if this has been asked before but this is a big thread and I'm curious:

 

Outside of the official add ons, is it possible to somehow play a custom WAD with the Unity port on PS4? Friend of mine has been playing through Ultimate Doom and I'd like to get him on things like AV, CC4 and my own WADs. I know nothing about how this port works on a console, and given that it doesn't seem to have a launcher outside of clicking "play" on the PS4 I'm wondering how one would go about doing that. Is it possible yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but this is a big thread and I'm curious:

 

Outside of the official add ons, is it possible to somehow play a custom WAD with the Unity port on PS4? Friend of mine has been playing through Ultimate Doom and I'd like to get him on things like AV, CC4 and my own WADs. I know nothing about how this port works on a console, and given that it doesn't seem to have a launcher outside of clicking "play" on the PS4 I'm wondering how one would go about doing that. Is it possible yet? 

Long story short, big fat no.

Custom WADs are only playable in Android and PC, and even so the port doesn't support Boom-compatible maps and maps made for limit-removing source ports (CC4 will absolutely not work).

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

and maps made for limit-removing source ports

Limit removing is fine, though how much removed is a different question.

 

But yeah, Android and PC only, as those are the only two platforms that allow arbitrary loading of content in any programs. (Xbox only allows it for apps, not games, curiously.)

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder, would it be possible to simply replace a WAD file for a downloaded mod on a jailbroken PS4 since FTP apparently can be used🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Apologies for the noob question, but how configurable are the controls on console?

 

I had no interest in this port until Limited Run announced their collector's edition (never thought I'd be considering spending eighty dollars on two 25 year-old five-dollar games I already own but here we are...), so I'm kind of lost on it. I have a specific control setup I like (movement/turning on the left stick and strafing on the shoulder buttons) and I could set that up just fine on the PC version, but do the console ports feature the same degree of customization?

Edited by Pokemanic33

Share this post


Link to post

Console ports do not allows for button customization at all. Note, that some consoles allow for that in their system settings.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Console ports do not allows for button customization at all. Note, that some consoles allow for that in their system settings.

 

That's what I was afraid of, that's a shame. I haven't looked much at the Switch's system-wide rebinding, but I doubt you could map an analog axis to a button in the way I would need for my control scheme.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone know what all requirements a mod must have in order to be added as an official add-on?

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Death Egg said:

Anyone know what all requirements a mod must have in order to be added as an official add-on?

  • All involved authors must be contactable and contacted by id Software and agree to their terms
  • No third-party assets used -- everything must belong to either the first party (id) or the second (mod authors); no asset taken from a non-id game or from "the internet"
  • Content must also fit the rules of the various platforms
  • Must be compatible with the port, of course -- no Boom/ZDoom/whatever features, just vanilla (limit-removing) + DMAPINFO and DEHACKED.
  • Mod should be of good quality, according to the subjective appreciation of the relevant id staff

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, Pokemanic33 said:

That's what I was afraid of, that's a shame. I haven't looked much at the Switch's system-wide rebinding, but I doubt you could map an analog axis to a button in the way I would need for my control scheme.

Just tried this on both Switch and Xbox One, and they're pretty much identical, i.e. you can't bind stick axes to buttons.

Share this post


Link to post

Y’know, I’m honestly shocked Base Ganymede hasn’t been added to the port. No new graphics besides the sky, very small group of contributors, received a Cacoward, author is still around, totally vanilla. . . it seemed an obvious choice. Is there something I’m missing that precludes it maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Y’know, I’m honestly shocked Base Ganymede hasn’t been added to the port. No new graphics besides the sky, very small group of contributors, received a Cacoward, author is still around, totally vanilla. . . it seemed an obvious choice. Is there something I’m missing that precludes it maybe?

 

Agreed. Base Ganymede is a solid choice for an addon.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Y’know, I’m honestly shocked Base Ganymede hasn’t been added to the port. No new graphics besides the sky, very small group of contributors, received a Cacoward, author is still around, totally vanilla. . . it seemed an obvious choice. Is there something I’m missing that precludes it maybe?

 

6 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

 

Agreed. Base Ganymede is a solid choice for an addon.

Solid contender, indeed.

But maybe is that the first two episodes were released more than 10 years ago, and only the third one is from 2012? Could be the reason as they are seeking for more recent mapsets of good quality.

I would like Speedy Shit added, but the lack of everything on it (map names, music, sky, story, etc.) make it kinda irrelevant. Good showcase of the speedmapping scene, but well, i don't think that could be important for Bethesda/Microsoft, whoever is the owner now.


If we are talking about UD add-ons, Lunar Catastrophe completely fits the requirements posted by Gez above:

-Authors are just right here (@Miss Bubbles and @Count651)

-Mapset doesn't have any third party asset, just the stock UD assets.

-I suppose it fit the rules as much as Deathless.

-Its a limit removing mapset that just needs a DMAPINFO lump, and dehacked is use for the map names.

-Mod is of good quality, as much as the other add-ons that were cacowarded or runners-up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Speedy Shit would be out just from its name alone I think.

i think the same, but well, since Back to Saturn X was changed to BTSX, Khorus's Speedy Shit could be changed to KSS... shit thats sound totally like KISS, another band.

Well maybe Khorus's Speedy Style.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, P41R47 said:

If we are talking about UD add-ons, Lunar Catastrophe completely fits the requirements posted by Gez above:

-Authors are just right here (@Miss Bubbles and @Count651)

-Mapset doesn't have any third party asset, just the stock UD assets.

-I suppose it fit the rules as much as Deathless.

-Its a limit removing mapset that just needs a DMAPINFO lump, and dehacked is use for the map names.

-Mod is of good quality, as much as the other add-ons that were cacowarded or runners-up.

 

I thought Lunar Catastrophe has issues running on vanilla because it was tested exclusively on GZDoom?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

I thought Lunar Catastrophe has issues running on vanilla because it was tested exclusively on GZDoom?

vanilla? yes, visplanes everywhere along tutti-frutties and medusas. Its the whole greek mythology of monstrosities..
Limit-removing? not at all. Works without problem. I played it on crispy, Doom Retro and PrBoom+ without noticing anything wrong.
It was, in fact, as you said, first tested only on GZDoom, but later the authors tested it to be at least playable on any limit removing port.

 

Probably there was another fix, as the wiki says its a vanilla mapset :/

 

EDIT: i have a UMAPINFO patch that fixed the different secret map exits. Thats what mostly prevented it from be playable on crispy (i just tested it there, probably). But that could be handles without problem with DMAPINFO i suppose.

Edited by P41R47

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I decided to buy the Nintendo Switch port for Doom 2 since it was on sale. I've played one other console port and it was the one version that came bundled with Ultimate Doom and Doom 3 for the original XBox. I'm currently playing on the Nintendo Switch Lite and the game doesn't look or feel too bad. This Switch version looks much nicer and not as pixelated as that XBox port and the sounds and music sound pretty good too. The only thing that sucks is that you can't bind your own button inputs. It feels weird having to press A instead of Y to activate switches. Also, that weird gyroscoptic "mouselook" or whatever feels really bothersome. I wonder if there is a way to turn that off. All in all, if it's on sale, I say go get it if you want a nice portable way to play Doom. If it's not on sale, just buy it on Steam or GOG.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

. The only thing that sucks is that you can't bind your own button inputs. It feels weird having to press A instead of Y to activate switches. Also, that weird gyroscoptic "mouselook" or whatever feels really bothersome.


I remember seeing one options in the Switch that make you make you own botton imputs. So you just swap the places of A and Y.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Also, that weird gyroscoptic "mouselook" or whatever feels really bothersome.

There is, in gameplay options, if I recall correctly

Share this post


Link to post

So there is a brand-new megawad apparently optimised, so to speak, for the Unity ports. It seems like it contains ‘borrowed’ MIDIs, thus it is likely the authors gave up their plan of getting it added as an official add-on.

 

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/projectunity.txt

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/projectunity.zip

 

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/120174/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@Diabolución Yeah that's our WAD that's supposed to release tomorrow. We do plan to try and get it on the Unity port. We will most likely replace the midi's if they accept it like they did with pretty much every other wad. Also, I don't recommend anyone playing that version you just posted. It's not final. There's a missing Keen tied to a secret in one of the maps. The new one will be released tonight at 12am PST as it should have been.

Edited by THiEF

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Introducing Project: Unity! A full 32 map megawad for Doom 2 that a group of us in the Unity speedrunning community worked on.

We started this project back in December and decided we should throw together a wad just for fun, but then it turned into this awesome project that we put alot of work into. We really hope you guys enjoy this map set.

 

Notes: Compatible with all source ports including Unity. All maps made in vanilla doom 2 format. Download below from either the google drive link, or the zip file. Your choice. Feel free to join our Discord! Link will be provided below. Link to the speedrun leaderboards for this WAD on the Unity port will also be linked below.

 

Please do not download the version above, it is not the final version. This one is.

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TF8KYgp22XgRsERaJMoo13A1CDX5SiCE/view?usp=sharing

 

https://discord.com/invite/CaxmcJkv4d

 

https://www.speedrun.com/doom_unity_ce#Project_Unity

 

Title.png

Credits.png

Paranoid.png

City of Sin.png

Hecktown.png

THiEvery.png

 

 

 

 

 

ProjectUnity.zip

Edited by THiEF : Updated link. DMAPINFO added

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, THiEF said:

We do plan to try and get it on the Unity port. We will most likely replace the midi's if they accept it like they did with pretty much every other wad.

So have you guys actually communicated/heard back from id at all? Like do you know if they’re actually looking at your wad for consideration? That’d be pretty cool if it were the case.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×